Notices

AVC-R is one CONFUSiNG MO FO!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVC-R is one CONFUSiNG MO FO!

Who has this bad boy and who knows how to use it?

The instructions are in ancient hebrew or something.

How do you program two boost levels? One low and one high?

There is an option to mess with duty cycles, does that mean that you can mess around with the a/f mixture?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2001, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AVC-R is one CONFUSiNG MO FO! (wonny)

Granted, it's somewhat frustrating to fine tune it, it's not THAT difficult either. Try reading the manual, you'd be supprised how clear it is when you read it over a couple times.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:43 AM
New User

There is an option to mess with duty cycles, does that mean that you can mess around with the a/f mixture?

Thanks
Duty cycle reffers to the silenoid valve. Its used mainly to 'calibrate' the AVC-R with your boost gauge, or so Apexi says. The lower the duty cycle, the lower the boost, the higher the duty cycle, the higher boost. Of course this isn't how you set boost though!

Go to the main menu and then go under Settings [A].. To select things use the next key, to get back in menus use the Prev key. After you hit next on Settings [A] you will see the boost option. Boost is set in kg/cm2 which, from what I saw, was very similar to bar, but not exact. .55kg/cm2 was equal to 7.8psi. Use this site to convert the values into PSI:
http://www.cis-online.co.za/tables/pcon.htm

Set the boost controller where you want it to be and I would set the duty cycle to 20% (the lowest it can go) to be safe. Get out of the settings menu and go to monitor mode. Before you hammer on the car go easy and make sure the boost isn't higher then what you want. If it is then lower the boost on the AVC-R. You can only go in steps of .05 kg/cm2 or about .7 psi. Once you get the boost to register what you wanted then go out and hammer in full throttle in 1st, 2nd, and then 3rd. It should then change your duty cycle to *** on the setting screen. That means the unit detected stable boost and has automatically set the duty cycle/rpm settins for you to maintain stable boost.

I haven't actually messed with the gear base boost settings, but I do know how to do it. Its very long and lengthy to type it out though... Basically just play with the Next and Prev buttons in the settings mode and I am sure you will find it. You are looking for the area where is shows you Duty Cycle @ rpms.. That is how you increase boost off RPM. Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks
what's wrong with the manual ?? it is clear and simple..
turn it off, turn it back on, when the A(low) setting is on, press up or down to the desired boost level, then press select twice, when the B ( high) setting is on, press the up and down to the desired boost level...

read more on the duty cycle, you have to drive and watch the boost level to see if you are hitting the correct boost level you were targeting in the initial setup....
Old 12-04-2001, 10:20 AM

Default Re: AVC-R is one CONFUSiNG MO FO! (Flamenco-T)

All that came in the box was one sheet that had a bunch of pictures and lines linking on diagram to another.

Thanks for telling me about the preset boost levels. I'll do that as soon as I get my car back form the shop.

About the duty cycle - If I'm bogging/leaning out at certain RPMs do I just increase my duty cycle for that RPM? On the other end, if I'm running rich, do I lower the duty?

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 12-04-2001, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All that came in the box was one sheet that had a bunch of pictures and lines linking on diagram to another.

Thanks for telling me about the preset boost levels. I'll do that as soon as I get my car back form the shop.

About the duty cycle - If I'm bogging/leaning out at certain RPMs do I just increase my duty cycle for that RPM? On the other end, if I'm running rich, do I lower the duty?

THANKS AGAIN!
the duty cycle goes from 20% to 80% I believe...
you need to drive it, hit full boost and see what the BC reads on the manifold pressure, and make sure it is the same as the preset boost level...
i.e. if you set the boost level at .5bar and you're hitting .45, then adjust the duty cycle to compensate it, all you're doing is basically calibrating the BC