Notices

Autometer Boost Gauge question!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autometer Boost Gauge question!

Hey guys. I recently purchased a used Autometer boost gauge. Now, the vacuum line that is attached to the gauge is made of semi-solid plastic tubing and is fairly skinny. How do I attach this to a standard rubber style vacuum line under the hood? Is there some sort of adapter kit?

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Autometer Boost Gauge question! (Westsideboy)

when i was installing my friend's turbo... i accidently bent the line in half so i took his windshield wiper lines and used that as vacum line....no need for adapter, just find some rubber hoses that itll fit tightly in then tee it off to any vacuum source.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can go to the hardware store and get an adapter that goes from like regular size vacuum hose (don't know the exact size) to that boost line size tubing. That's what I did and it works great.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cruiser G)

Do you by chance have a picture of what it looks like so I have an idea of what I'm looking for?
Old 04-19-2003, 10:11 AM

Default Re: (Westsideboy)

just go to pep-boys or a local parts place and buy some vacuum T's. It will provide an extra outlet from the vacuum line. DO NOT use windshield wiper lines as a vacuum line. You don't want to be able to pinch a vacuum line closed, it should be solid but still flexible.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Autometer Boost Gauge question! (Westsideboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Westsideboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys. I recently purchased a used Autometer boost gauge. Now, the vacuum line that is attached to the gauge is made of semi-solid plastic tubing and is fairly skinny. How do I attach this to a standard rubber style vacuum line under the hood? Is there some sort of adapter kit?

Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I stuck the plastic tubing inside of regular vacuum hose and then zip-tied the two together just secure enough so it doesn't come loose but not so tight that they got cinched together. works great.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostsohfast)

Yah, I know what the vacuum T's look like, but the thing is... on 2 ends of the T, will be where the regular vacuum line runs through...and then on the actually "T" end, is where I'd splice in the boost line...however the boost line is super duper skinny...? Do they make a T with an end that small? What I'm trying to figure out is if there's a special adapter made specifically for this application?
Old 04-19-2003, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cruiser G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can go to the hardware store and get an adapter that goes from like regular size vacuum hose (don't know the exact size) to that boost line size tubing. That's what I did and it works great. </TD></TR></TABLE>

saw that on a wrx site. bigger hose just slips over that brass fitting that sticks out of the back of the gauge and then you just transition to the smaller hose. supposed to make it a whole lot more responisive/accurate.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what Im talking about. The boost guage I think comes with an adapter that the boost guage tubing goes in and there is a 1/2 pipe thread fitting out the other side. The threaded part screws into this piece from the hardware store. Does that make sense? It's kinda hard for me to explain.

Edit: The piece you need from the hardware store is basically a hose barb on one end, and female 1/2 pipe threads on the other.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay...on the gauge that I bought, I'm missing the piece that the tube in that picture is connected to...the piece that'll allow me to screw it onto another fitting. Can I buy that brass piece from the hardware store also?

Mine's been cut, I guess...?
Old 04-19-2003, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just used a 1/8 NPT hose barb and screwed it directly to my boost gauge. Then I just used regular vac line to tee into my FPR line.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Westsideboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay...on the gauge that I bought, I'm missing the piece that the tube in that picture is connected to...the piece that'll allow me to screw it onto another fitting. Can I buy that brass piece from the hardware store also?

Mine's been cut, I guess...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, Im pretty sure you can.