Notices

Auotcross/Road Race + Turbo= ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 06:28 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auotcross/Road Race + Turbo= ??

I already seached for this topic and had no luck. I plan to try autocrossing, road racing and of course drag racing but, I was wondering if any of you guys/girls have tried autocrossing or road racing with your turbo set-ups? What kind of turbo are you using and what boost level are you using also? I was at first going with a 60-1 but thought it would be too big for autocrossing/road racing. So I'm looking at either a t3/t4 or straight t4. I also want to try and hit mid-to-high 11s at the strip. Oh, I will be going with a custom turbo kit.

TIA
Dave
Old 01-21-2002, 06:37 PM
New User

Default Re: Auotcross/Road Race + Turbo= ?? (VoltageBlueLs)

i doubt youll have any traction in the turns, unless you take 4/10ths. plus the problems with going at full boost for so long; overheating,etc, blah blah blah. but i dunno thats just what i think. what does everyone else have to say on this?
Old 01-21-2002, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auotcross/Road Race + Turbo= ?? (01geeser)

b18cturbo autocrosses with his car and ha high 11's at the track... i dont know how often he checks this board so just send him an im
Old 01-21-2002, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Auotcross/Road Race + Turbo= ?? (Tom)

b18cturbo autocrosses with his car and ha high 11's at the track... i dont know how often he checks this board so just send him an im
lol...don't fall off the mountain buddy
Old 01-21-2002, 10:49 PM
Trial User

I've been autoxing with a turbo civic the last two season. I did pretty well last season and took the year end 1st place in Street Mod class in both NY and NJ region SCCA. Turbo will work for autox if you set your car up right! You need to eliminate the lag as much as possible, by doing that, I use high compression pistons, tubular exhaust manifold, bigger cams, t3/ t04e kinda big but it works for me....and so on. Oh and a stand alone system which is on top of my list if you want reliability. Especially if you planning to track your car, its all about the fuel and spark! Plus an oil cooler....

As for suspension I recommend adjustable ones with custom spring rate so you can play around with different settings and spring rates. LSD is a must so are r compounds if you want to be competitive. But I'll suggest street tires if you just started...you'll get more feedback and will learn more form them.

Your biggest enemy is traction. You just can't run with 20 psi in an autox! I normal run 8psi and if its a nice day with good traction...I'll try 12psi the most. I ran 18 psi the max but that's only for drag . Also wheels and tires choice are very important because in our case (300+hp)... small diameter wheels and tire combo which are praised by NA lover will not work for us, you will just sit there and spin ur tires out of a corner!!! I will be running 225 50 16 front tires this season, That also depends on what tranny you have. I have a gsr tranny and if you have a LS you might be able to get away with 24" tires. Did I mention LSD?!

The fun part of autoxing a turbo FWD for me is the challenge is gives you, did I say they are hard to control? Its very rewarding to drive it fast and smooth. The not so fun part is that its hard to get good advice from people for how to set up the car and such because their NORMAL theories might not work anymore because you are driving something abnormal.....

For beginners I really don't suggest to start autox with a monster like that, its a lot harder to drive and learn. But If you really want to do it with the turbo... I said just go for it if that's what make you happy. Just prepare to spend some money and seat times, a lot of it...

I'm just telling you what I've experienced and me myself is still learning my car's behavior, set up and most important of all...How to drive. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2002, 08:16 AM
New User

Default Re: Auotcross/Road Race + Turbo= ?? (b18cturbo)

Thanks for the advice. How high is your compression? would 10:1 be safe for the street? The max psi on plan to run on the street is between 8-10psi and 18-20 for the strip, would that still be good with high compression? Also you mentioned that you use a GS-R tranny, do you still drive your car on the street? If so how is it on the highway? What kind of LSD are you running also, I've been looking at the Quiefe. (sp?) As far as stand alone systems, I'm looking at either the new AEM EMS or a Haltech E6K.

TIA
Dave

[Modified by VoltageBlueLs, 12:18 PM 1/22/2002]

[Modified by VoltageBlueLs, 12:19 PM 1/22/2002]
Old 01-22-2002, 09:43 AM
Trial User

8-10 and 18-20 is a big jump there.. try 8-10 and 13-15..that sounds about right

Jeff-
Old 01-22-2002, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Auotcross/Road Race + Turbo= ?? (Corporal-Jeff)

yeah, common whats your cr?

I think, since you are boosting 18psi it MUST be lowered to 9.5:1 and not higher
Old 01-22-2002, 12:00 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Auotcross/Road Race + Turbo= ?? (austrian ITR)

I think, since you are boosting 18psi it MUST be lowered to 9.5:1 and not higher
this may be the case but it is certainly not a MUST.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:19 PM
New User

Default Re: Auotcross/Road Race + Turbo= ?? (Phantom)

For road race you should look into getting an oil temp gauge and an oil cooler. I know that some N/A guys see really high oil temps (280deg F +) during open track events, and i would imagine that it could get even higher with a turbo there...

-Xerxes
Old 01-22-2002, 05:46 PM
Trial User

I run 10:1 JE pistons, 18psi drag 8-12 psi for the street. I use stock type r lsd for the last two season but will switch to Quaife. for the gsr tranny, the rev is a little on the high side, I'm getting bigger tires to spread the gear out a little to get more traction. thats why I suggest you to either use LS tranny with small tires or gsr with bigger tires. I ran this set up for two season now....more than 50 events total so I would say its reliable. But my oil pump gear went ( shattered) at the last event of last season. So I would recommand you to change the gear to a stronger unit like pro drive or toda cause its a command problem with high hp hondas. get oil pressure, egt and boost gauges so you can monitor everything under the engine. And as Xerxus said, an oil cooler.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:50 PM
New User

Default Re: Auotcross/Road Race + Turbo= ?? (Xerxes)

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be sure to use it when making all my decisions on my set-up. I'm probably going to talk with one of the guys at my local shop to see what we can do. Right now I'm still budgeting things out and hopefully I can get most of my set-up installed my the end of the summer or early fall.

Thanks Again
Dave