Notices

ATTN: Turbo GSR owners. 300hp advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN: Turbo GSR owners. 300hp advice

Hey people. For all of you who have achieved 300hp on a stock GSR, I need some help on a decent set up for a daily driver. So far I have seen the average set up look like this:

T3/T4 turbo
38mm wastgate
440cc injectors or DSMs
255lph fuel pump
high flow turbo manifold (higher than a log)
3in down pipe

Engine Management is commonly a chipped ECU, but some have used Hondata and their stand alone systems. Boost is commonly around 10psi. Please recommend correction to this list, types of turbo, whatever. Also how long the motor lasted in stock form holding this power. Thanks for the help.

oh, and I would also like to keep my AC. It's hot in Texas.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:34 AM

Default Re: ATTN: Turbo GSR owners. 300hp advice (lollypopking)

get a gt2871 turbo
Old 03-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you don't NEED anything better than a log manifold and you don't NEED to have a 3" dp.....My set up:

T3T4E 60 trim .63ar
SPoolin Log manifold
RLD Fab 2.5" AC compatible dp and dump
custom 2.5" exhaust and Magnaflow muffler
custom 2.5" IC piping
HP Racing Intake manifold
31x6x3 CCA IC
Tial BOV
Tial Wastegate 10psi
RC550s
Crome Chipped JK Tuning P28 and harness

on 10psi, i'm hoping for around 300whp or close to it....whatever i can get conservatively
Old 03-26-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Re: (Schister66)

just remember that 300whp is A LOT easier to obtain than you'd think. You don't need any massive turbo to get there ... 57 trim or smaller ... and a .63 a/r is more than enough also. GT2871 would be a great choice, if you can afford the extra money for it.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Even though my turbo setup isnt done yet an i dont make 300 lol. I say you dont need a big turbo, the garret 60trim will be good,an i say get a 3" downpipe, 2.5 will just rob you of power in my opinion. An maybe upgrade your injectors to like 550cc or so because you will max those 440cc injectors out after u get 300hp because your going to want more plus it wouldnt hurt to have bigger injectors...just not too big. Also i say get hondata or neptune either one will be pretty good.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would get at least 550cc if you have to buy injectors....they are like $15 more and have more flexability...I bought 440's and 2 months later i had 550's
Old 03-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a Precsion SC34
57 trim .63 A/R
272 whp @ 7 psi on a conservative tune.

looking to do a few more things and shooting for ~315-330whp .
Old 03-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can get a decent peiced together kit for like 2K-2500. It all depends on what your max goal is and if you want to buy parts once or every time you want more hp. The three inch is best as it gives you flexability to go up in hp, and helps with spool. Pick a turbo which is rated for more hp than what your current goal is inorder to prevent high boost to achieve your goal. High boost equal hot air. Just my 2cents
Old 03-26-2006, 03:45 PM

Default Re: ATTN: Turbo GSR owners. 300hp advice (drintegra)

what about the IC? I already know I will have an aftermarket intake manifold and throttle body(65mm?), so what size IC would be best. Also about the turbo, what do the difference in trims mean for the turbo, cause it doesn't seem to have a great affect on the price.

I am also going to be running 2.5" custom exhaust with an ExMag Muffler and with a cat, will this provide enough flow for the turbo. And any suggestions or preferences for engine managment?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am running the Precision 600 hp intercooler. I would say go with a medium sized one like that so you don't have to upgrade later on.

For your power goals shoot for a 57 trim, it suited my needs quite well. It is a meduim sized turbo, i have full boost by around 4000rpm and it pulls all the way to redline. It is also good for up to 450-500hp accoreding to precision's website.

For the exhaust the 2.5 should be fine, but 3" will provide less backpressure, more flow and therefore more power, but thats up to you. I have 3" Kteller with 2 resonators and a magnaflow muffler. It sounds reallly nice, but it is a little loud and has a drone on the highway. I have a video/sound clip if interested idling and reving. Good luck !
Old 03-26-2006, 04:36 PM
wrenchin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ATTN: Turbo GSR owners. 300hp advice (GS-R Civic)

ok, the 440s will be real close to maxed at 300 hp. get at least 550s so the injectors dont have to work as hard. also, making 300 whpcan be done with a straight T3. it can even be done with a 48/60 T3. im SURE my setup could make 300 on much higher boost on my b16, so on yer gsr it could def be done. BUT thats about the limit if u wanted to run this turbo. cant beat the spool up though
Old 03-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lollypopking &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about the IC? I already know I will have an aftermarket intake manifold and throttle body(65mm?), so what size IC would be best. Also about the turbo, what do the difference in trims mean for the turbo, cause it doesn't seem to have a great affect on the price.

I am also going to be running 2.5" custom exhaust with an ExMag Muffler and with a cat, will this provide enough flow for the turbo. And any suggestions or preferences for engine managment?

Thanks for all the help. </TD></TR></TABLE>
If you want to know about trims, look @ these

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1023414 (this thread is about a/r, but trim is explained about halfway down)

and here.....

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/....html

What kind of driving will you be doing?? In general the larger the trim the higher the boost threshold (more lag), but also the more efficient the wheel is at higher flows (remember this is in general).

All in all the 50 trim or 57 trim will do you fine. On the turbine side a housing with .48 a/r for more response (but less efficient @ higher flows) and .63 a/r for better efficiency @ higher flows and will likely need less boost to get you to your desired hp.

You don't need an aftermarket tb or im to get you to 300whp. Many people have made more than 300 on the stock ones.

If you have not purchased your exhaust yet, I would suggest getting a 3" dp and catback system.

As for engine management, if you are on a budget then I would suggest crome, if not then I would go with AEM or Hondata. GL.

btw-there is nothing wrong with crome, many people are making good/reliable power with it.

edit: yea and def get a bit larger injectors, 550's should do you fine, bigger if you plan on turning up the boost later.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:19 PM

Default Re: ATTN: Turbo GSR owners. 300hp advice (KeyserSoze)

I will be doing mostly highway driving, so it sounds like a 57 trim and .63 a/r would be better. Where can I find some info on crome?

My motiviation for the 2.5" exhaust is the loudness. The downpipe will still be 3in, but I'm going for that smooth, soft sound when driving normally, but that nice aggressive sound when I stomp on it. I just hate those loud drony exhaust notes, even when your just cruisin down the street. Also, I will have small kids in the car every now and then, and I would like for them to be able to hear when there older!

Thanks for the help guys
Old 03-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lollypopking &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will be doing mostly highway driving, so it sounds like a 57 trim and .63 a/r would be better. Where can I find some info on crome?

My motiviation for the 2.5" exhaust is the loudness. The downpipe will still be 3in, but I'm going for that smooth, soft sound when driving normally, but that nice aggressive sound when I stomp on it. I just hate those loud drony exhaust notes, even when your just cruisin down the street. Also, I will have small kids in the car every now and then, and I would like for them to be able to hear when there older!

Thanks for the help guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

You might want to think about an e-cutout then.

For information on crome go here..... http://www.pgmfi.org

FYI - All the links I posted earlier can be found in the faq section of this forum. It is at the very top of the forum. There is a LOT of really good info there.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:00 PM

Default Re: ATTN: Turbo GSR owners. 300hp advice (KeyserSoze)

im getting my set up tuned on saturday, should i be expecting 300hp?

b18c1 with 32k
.63t.57a/r garett t3/4 hybrid ball bearing
love-fab manifold
tial wastegate 53mm@10psi
trust intercooler good for 500hp
rc 440cc injectors
edelbrock victor-x im
aem fuel rail
3" downpipe
3" mandrel bent mid pipe to apexi axel back
greddy type s bov
255lph walboro

its getting chipped and tuned on chrome

im looking for some info on a 2-step. where can i get one?
Old 03-27-2006, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ATTN: Turbo GSR owners. 300hp advice (bluet1z06)

If you are shooting for 300whp you may want to upgrade to injectors to at least 550cc's.

Also I have heard that intake manifold isn't that benificial on lower boost levels, but I would love to see you dyno sheet when your done to prove it. Im looking to do a few upgrades and get retuned and Im trying to pick out a manifold right now. I was thinking about the blox but I would like know how yours turns out.

As for the 2-step that all depends on the program you are running. Im not sure if CROME has it. I know for HONDATA its an extra feature and for NeTune it comes standard, thats what I have.

Good luck with the build and us know the results!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lollypopking &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

oh, and I would also like to keep my AC. It's hot in Texas.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just get a Rev Hard kit w/ some 550inj. and You should be good to go. But the most important key is your tuner!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:46 AM

so a 2step is in the program, then how do you select it,or is it done by the clutch. what about the msd 2-step?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not positive about the msd, and there are many different ways to use it.

I am only really familiar with NepTune's 2 step. You use the gas to bring the rpm's up to where you want it, then when its there you stomp the pedal to the floor to hold it in place. The TPS sensor is used for the input for the 2 step. I like this one because you can change it up every time to whatever you want. Its not just programed in.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:31 AM

so wait, is that part of a tune, or a seperate deal?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well its part of the program that you get tuned on, so when you get tuned the 2 step is set up. If you are tuning yourself you can change it whenever, but since only the tuner has NepTune he has to set it up. Talk to your tuner, he should be able to explain your options better.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:31 AM

Is it cheaper or better to run a complete turbo kit like RevHard or Greddy? I'm sure that with good connections a person can definitly piece together a turbo system for less then any kit out there (hint: gimme some deals HT!), but I assume that the components of a complete kit were designed and tested to work with each other.

In pieceing together a kit, power, flow, and other efficiencies will be hindered somewhat because a custom kit could be considered rough compared to a complete kit. Does anyone have an idea of how large the differences are? or is it worth getting a complete kit for the sake of simiplicity?

Personally, I have the time and the patience to piece together a kit, plus I think it is fun to go shopping around for components of a system that I designed. To be able to call it mine with my own personal touches here and there would make it all worth my while.

oh, bluet1z06, what are the dimensions of your intercooler?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:25 PM

bump
Old 03-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lollypopking,

If you plan on upgrading in the future, like surpassing 300whp, then I suggest piecing together a kit and getting a turbo that will support your future goals, so you dont have to buy another one later down the road.

If you just want 300whp and want the simplicity of a kit, go with a revhard. If you want to push it a little bit more in the future, i believe the revhard kit will max out around 400whp. So there is still room to grow.

Before I forget, there are also some higher quality kits or kits that will make more power such as peakboost. If you look in the sponsored marketplace here on HT, you can find some good deals on both peakboost and revhard kits.

But like you said, you would rather call it your own, etc. So its completely up to you. Just make sure you get injectors 550cc at least although I recommend RC Saturated 750cc so you dont have to run a resistor box. And make sure you get it tuned, whether it be uberdata, crome, hondata, neptune, or aem ems (there are more choices).

Good luck with whatever you choose! Keep us updated!

hope this helped. PM me if you have any questions.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ATTN: Turbo GSR owners. 300hp advice (chubz0r)

Oh yeah, i just noticed you wanted to keep your a/c. I dont think the peakboost kit allows this. Therefore if your getting a kit, go with revhard. Just my opinion

Quick Reply: ATTN: Turbo GSR owners. 300hp advice