Notices

APEXSER: do you have a chart for turbo selecting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 05:22 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APEXSER: do you have a chart for turbo selecting?

You seem to answer anyones' question as to which turbo setup can support what WHP. Do you have a chart or spreadsheet you can share? I remember seeing a long explaination as to how to calculate what turbo you need, but I searched and couldn't find it.

Any chance you could e-mail the explaination to me with the WHP added in?

I hate when I forget to archive stuff.

Randy

BTW-I was looking for info on a street driven D16A6 2nd gen CRX. Which Garrett is a good combo for 8-12 psi.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: APEXSER: do you have a chart for turbo selecting? (RGAZ)

You can pencil whip it up if you know your math basics (add, subtract, multiply and division) the easy stuff doesnt really need anything beyond that.

here are a couple of "read-only" threads from a lng time ago. a lot of them are by me, and since writing them I have come to some additional info that I wanted to share. Unfortunately the threads are "read-only" now so I cant add anything new.

here are a few to get you started:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=98528

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=124704

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id...=426217#426217

you can also do a search for "COMPRESSOR MAPS" in the Forced Induction Forum. For "DATA SET" instead of "RECENT TOPICS" select "ARCHIVED TOPICS" then do your search.

EDIT: another thing you can do, after you have a firm grasp of the concept you can make up an EXCEL spreadsheet that'll figure out the numbers real quick. To be able to use online turbo calculators like turbofast.com you need to know your bore and stroke. and you have to have a special plug-in or something, the compressor map graphics used to show up on my PC but now I think I disabled it accidentally or "corrupted" it.

[Modified by BlueShadow, 4:17 PM 3/6/2002]
Old 03-06-2002, 07:15 AM

I don't have anything in Excel. Choosing the right turbo has to do with reading compressor maps, motor work, displacement, fuel and ignition control, etc...

I have done a lot of turbo kist in the past and have learned stuff by trial and error, so it becomes like second nature! I might actually make up some sort of spreadsheet now that you mention it!
Old 03-06-2002, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: APEXSER: do you have a chart for turbo selecting? (APEXSER)

I might actually make up some sort of spreadsheet now that you mention it!
it's pretty easy to make up a spreadsheet, all I do is type in 3 numbers at the minimum (REDLINE, ENGINE SIZE IN LITERS, AND BOOST PRESSURE) at the minimum. those will allow me to figure it out for low to moderate boost setups, I've been thinking about adding more so that it can figure out high boost applications as well.

One other thing I have been trying to do is include compressor map .jpegs into the EXCEL program. I want to be abe to have the "points" drawn out visually, and have them imposed over the different compressor maps. The hard part is changing the scale of different compressor maps so that the points appear where they're supposed to. the "points" will stay in the same place, but If the compressor map is the wrong size I can load the next compressor map, but it needs to be in the right scale to work.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:12 AM
New User

Default Re: APEXSER: do you have a chart for turbo selecting? (BlueShadow)

If you could make a spreadsheet WITH the compressor maps that would be sweet.

If you do it make it public.

Randy
Old 03-06-2002, 08:17 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: APEXSER: do you have a chart for turbo selecting? (BlueShadow)

Wouldn't it end up being something similar to this...
http://www.turbofast.com.au/turbomap.html
Old 03-06-2002, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: APEXSER: do you have a chart for turbo selecting? (DSF)

Wouldn't it end up being something similar to this...
http://www.turbofast.com.au/turbomap.html
yes, something like that, I usually double check my numbers on that site. You need to know your Bore and stroke to use that program though, and I only know the B & S of a H22 and B18C5. what I had in mind though was to have the EXCEL leave the plot lines and points the same size but to resize the compressor .jpeg map as appropriate.

hmm. you just gave me an idea, I might make multiple "pages" in My EXCEL calculator, each page will be for each available compressor map I find. I just need to adjust it so that the plot lines and points will be in the right place. That way I dont have to re-scale the .jpeg of compressor maps, it can stay the same size.

I still need to figure out how to display a JPEG in EXCEL though.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you could make a spreadsheet WITH the compressor maps that would be sweet.

If you do it make it public.

Randy
sorry, the likely hood of that happening is very small. I dont have know anywhere tha I can host this stuff online. Even if I could I would keep the program to myself, not cause I'm selfish but cause I dont want to be responsible for someone shoosing the wrong turbo based on my numbers.

besides there are already plenty of online sources available that'll do that stuff for you. just click the link that DSF provided and you'll be on your way.