Notices

Apexi Power FC - End user fair/friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi Power FC - End user fair/friendly?

Over the past year I’ve had a few dilemma issues with Apexi. I’m not saying it’s the staff at Apexi USA or the staff at Apexra (Apexi JPN) but I wanted to get opinions on what other users like me think about their “CD key policy”, how it works, and end user tuning options.

When you purchase Apexi Power FC Commander PRO (software and a *special* cable that allows you to tune FC from a laptop) you’re given a CD key that you can only use once and is activated via the internet. (What happens if you don’t have the internet? Unlikely, but always a possibility)

My shop purchased back in November ’05 FC Commander PRO to tune a customer’s car that was towed in. Masaki was very helpful over the phone and did everything he could to familiarize us with the software and how it worked. Overall I was pretty pleased with how the software worked and how easy it was to install Apexi’s version of a standalone unit. (100% no additional wiring; truely plug and play)

Now we all know the abuse tuning laptops go through. These aren’t your normal to the office and back laptop work stations. These computers go through some tough times and (at least for my shop) are replaced more often then the average suit and tie business mans laptop. Our laptop died that I installed Commander PRO on but I managed to back it up to an external hard drive. Masaki told me in order for Apexi to issue you a new cd key you have to uninstall the software and during the uninstall process, a key will be generated that Apexi contacts Apexera with to generate a new key. Anyhow, I didn’t do that, I just saved the core files and the registry to a removable drive; this is my own fault for not reading the instructions. I contacted Masaki and managed to get a new key after months of emails back and forth. I was told the key he gave me was one of his personal keys and I would not be getting a third cd key that this was my last chance. (Side note: Our shop was also broken into around the same time and they stole the broken laptop so I didn’t even have a chance to uninstall the software to begin with; no big deal)

Meanwhile I’m in the market for a standalone system for my car and Intec Racing in Kent, WA (authorized Excel dealers; that’s what Apexi calls them) sell me on Power FC for my Integra. I was a bit leery on it at first but figured since I had Command Pro to use I’d be alright. I also decided to pick up an AVC-R as well to work in conjunction with one another.

Now the fun begins…. First I get the unit installed in my car. I emailed/phoned Masaki and he gave me a base map to start my car on. Well (and I still don’t know if I understand this correctly) according to Lawrence at Intec Racing and Masaki, Power FC had two different ECU models and I just happen to have the one that doesn’t work with my Commander PRO software initially. I had to drive my daily driver (’92 EG) 20 miles from home, use a jumper harness to convert to obdII, and then have Lawrence put the basemap onto the FC ECU that is intended for my Integra, and then drive back home and install. Good thing my Power Excel dealer is only 20 miles away! (Why can't I have the same software? Even if it costs more I should be given that option!)

I come back to my shop and finish tuning the car with FC Pro and was very satisfied with the results. In the meantime the shop bought a new laptop (since the old one died) and I uninstalled the software to generate this “code” Masaki referred too and gave him a screen shot of it to simplify things. It’s been close to two months since I did this and I still haven’t got a new key yet. I never get phone calls back or emails. Masaki has contacted me once and told me he was waiting on Japan to issue me a new key.

Now to all the tuners or individuals out there that understand ways of copyrighting/protecting management software would you agree Apexi is taking the wrong route in licensing keys? I can’t believe you have to go through this process everytime you “upgrade” your laptop or for whatever reason get a new laptop. What does it even matter if you have the software installed on 100 machines? You only get one cable to communicate to the ECU from the laptop in the first place.

SCT, HKS, DFi, ect all use some type of USB token to unsure the tuner has access rights to the software and I think that would be a good idea as well for Apexi. I don’t think it’s fair that I should have to go to my Excel dealer every time I change/modify my car and pay $150/hr to retune my car, not to mention my shop isn’t the shop tuning it. What if my shop had competition with my Excel dealer? Do you think I’m going to want them to see what I’m bringing to the table? For whatever reason, what happens if you don’t have that exact laptop around? (Battery dies, you forget it at home, ect)

You’ve read all this and your asking yourself “What’s the point of this thread?” If you pay for something, you should be able to use it. Commander PRO software was two or three hundred dollars and that’s a little absurd that you can only install it once. (Not to mention the dealer gets a completely different software version) What if you could only install Windows XP one time with the given serial key? At least the XP serial key is cheaper then a new Commander PRO cd key and has the same end user options as everyone else.

Anyone else have similar issues?

-n!ck
Old 10-10-2006, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Apexi Power FC - End user fair/friendly? (jDMJeRk)

I hope you know about the FC Edit Datalogit from new zealand
Old 10-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome to the fun world of pfc! i have these issues on a daily basis since my car needs to be retuned but i don't have access to software.

i've been contemplating purchasing either the powerfc datalogit or the fc commander pro. but i've been waiting to see more information on the fc commander pro software and it looks like it's a pain in the ***.

somewhere in germany is a guy making new software that should be able to use either cables including the one you got with your fc commander pro.

i believe the website is http://www.fctune.com
Old 10-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (epic1si)

That sort of thing is one of several reasons I have decided not to use them (and have steered others away from them) even though they make an nsx version. I decided that the overall cost of using the AEM was about the same and there are WAY fewer support hassles. I like problems to be solved in hours or days, not months.

My .02
Old 10-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad you all see it my way. I was going to check out that boot leg software but its just another $300 dollars that I have to fork out. I have a few releases from Japan but they are hard to decode.

Maybe a few more people will chime in....
Old 10-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what are peoples opinions vs datalogit... can I install it more then once? Look like the screen shots are ever better thn then FC Pro
Old 10-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've gotten a few responses from boards and I suppose the Datalogit software is the way to go. Ill just wait for Masaki to get me the new key and I will sell it on eBay in hopes to pay for the Datalogit software.

Thanks to those who read my rant/rave/ect!