Anyone Running Skunk2 Ultra Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone Running Skunk2 Ultra Street Manifold

Somewhat newly realeased Skunk 2 ULTRA Street manifold
Not to be confused with skunk 2 ULTRA Race manifold

Myself I am only interested in the street version, but perhaps others would be interested in the race manifold they do share the same design so feel free to share information on either.

Havent seen many posts or reviews for this.
Hoping someone that already owns this can post up reveiws or first hand impressions.

Skunk2 Promises improved power band, even for cars under 400HP. Below is a dyno graph, showing the improvements over the Skunk2 Pro manifold. unfortunately all this data comes directly from skunk2 and could possiblly be biased
Attached Images  

Last edited by 2kdrift; 10-10-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:10 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Anyone Running Skunk2 Ultra Manifold

It's not much change on turbocharger applications in which even a change in timing could alter. This is why it's not talked about all that much. The only people you may be getting any impressions are from users who are using this in a naturally aspirated configuration moreso than turbocharged, with the exception of a few builds that are currently under development like Dark_Teg's. You may have to wait until that point. Is it worth it? Not for 14hp overall. If it changes behaviour a bit more to your advantage, you won't know until you actually run it with the turbocharger.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not trying to dispute your claim but the above graph is on a turbo charged application. for the $70 difference between the two I say it would be worth it (for me) if its 10-14hp throughout most of the powerband, consistant usable power. I am a little skeptical against skunk 2's results..definetly could have been altered with things like timing as you stated

Thanks for the input
Old 10-10-2015, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by camdizawg
Not trying to dispute your claim but the above graph is on a turbo charged application. for the $70 difference between the two I say it would be worth it (for me) if its 10-14hp throughout most of the powerband, consistant usable power. I am a little skeptical against skunk 2's results..definetly could have been altered with things like timing as you stated

Thanks for the input
Yes. I know it was from a turbocharged application. That's precisely my point. the $70 difference saved from simply adjusting the boost controller a bit more or work with your tuning even more effectively.

The difficulty in installation to me nor the change in configuration of my intercooler piping doesn't warrant it. If it does for you, carry on.. But really, the dyno can't show any true use of the powerband outside of one gear. That's why I'm saying as nice as it is, it isn't for all to use in a turbocharged application if they already have something similar like a Pro1, or BBK..

Now, if they don't have an intake manifold at all, sure, go ahead.. make sure the intercooler piping is properly adjusted.

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-10-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:03 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have always said the Pro plenum was a tad small for the higher power street cars. The 3.5l plenum is decent compromise between too big and too small. However most of what you see in the graph comes from runner length.

The Street manifold has longer runners with a smaller cross section compared to the Ultra. This means considerably higher midrange power production, higher port flow velocities, and slightly better cylinder filling when compared to the overall smaller Pro and the much larger Ultra.

However like Shodan says, without knowing if anything was revised for the comparison it's hard to say. You typically don't make a major change to something like an intake manifold and then don't do a retune.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

do you already have a intake manifold
Old 10-11-2015, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ls joker
do you already have a intake manifold
Have pro 1 on my Integra and ultra street on the EM1. Not tuned yet completely
Old 10-11-2015, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Have pro 1 on my Integra and ultra street on the EM1. Not tuned yet completely
the em1 is na right. the toda a setup.

OP do you have a manifold yet. i watched a video where a ported rbc made the same as the ultra street or race, cant remember. so im wondering on ported pro series manifold numbers
Old 10-12-2015, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the em1 is na right. the toda a setup.

OP do you have a manifold yet. i watched a video where a ported rbc made the same as the ultra street or race, cant remember. so im wondering on ported pro series manifold numbers
Had the Pro manifold But I sold it brand new in the box. Just bought the ultra street from Greg should be here tomorow
Old 10-12-2015, 06:29 PM

well. you'll soon find out. I'm finding it rather a pain to hook up. But take it to a machinist and at last port the SOB.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well. you'll soon find out. I'm finding it rather a pain to hook up. But take it to a machinist and at last port the SOB.
Hmm not sure if im understanding u completely, as far as the piping? I also sent part of my piping for greg to modify specifically for this manifold. Hoping for the best
Old 10-13-2015, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im sure youll see a shift in the powerband. but, as far as gains idk prolly. if you dont send it to get ported, at least pop bottle port it
Old 10-13-2015, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I couldn't justify having to run a skunk 2 throttle body with it as well. Its one of those lovely hidden costs. So add that $200 to the cost of switching as well.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by camdizawg
Hmm not sure if im understanding u completely, as far as the piping? I also sent part of my piping for greg to modify specifically for this manifold. Hoping for the best
I mean the runners. The whole point of this manifold is the fact that it can be taken apart to be ported and not cut in half and rewelded.

In its original form:

This is if you have a few more bucks --4Piston

Or try it by hand
Old 10-13-2015, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The simplest method I've seen, which Ls joker mentioned, is to take a 2 Liter bottle, stick some sand paper around the throat, and use that to port the entries.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I couldn't justify having to run a skunk 2 throttle body with it as well. Its one of those lovely hidden costs. So add that $200 to the cost of switching as well.
Skunk2 sells an adapter that allows you to run a B-series TB. 74 bux

I mean the runners. The whole point of this manifold is the fact that it can be taken apart to be ported and not cut in half and rewelded.
4 Piston does a beautiful job with their CNC port. I had my Ultra-race CNC ported and I am running the 90mm TB cause my car is race/show not much street. 4 Piston claims substantial boosted gains with their CNC porting.

Last edited by Dark_Teg; 10-13-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:17 AM

We stuck an Alpha on ours.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
Skunk2 sells an adapter that allows you to run a B-series TB. 74 bux
Still more cost and complexity. I just bought my edelbrock manifold and didnt look back.

Really its up to the end user how involved they want it to be.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Still more cost and complexity. I just bought my edelbrock manifold and didnt look back.

Really its up to the end user how involved they want it to be.
Pretty much. It has to fulfill the best purpose. I originally thought that would be best on the Integra. After serious consideration and the changes that I would be making anyway, it then occurred to me that it would be best to have that on the NA car instead.

I'm glad Dark_Teg felt that it was worthwhile for his particular purpose. With a TR3030R, it will be a bit more robust on the lower rpm range, and BEAUTIFUL for the circuit, but *sigh*.... Drag racing is his love, so I'm sure it'll do alright as well.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:44 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My take: It depends on what you are looking for exactly.

CONS
The bolts and fittings are aluminum junk.
The throttle cable stay is rather weirdly designed, and could be an issue for some. I had to modify mine, even though there isn't much room for it due to the design.
Sits rather low, for me I had to bend heater valve pretty far out of the way (could be PRO).
The recommended IACV relocation position may be an issue depending on chassis.
Again, depending on chassis, if firewall clearance is an issue, it will only get worse.
Due to the 90° clocking of the throttle body, it makes adjusting TPS or changing MAP sensor a PITA.
Stock water ports get annoying to work with due to clocking.
Depending on FPR setup, return hose rubs bad on runner.
Special throttle body.
Stock casting is pretty bad, but still better than OEM.

PROS
My opinion - the angle throttle body inlet is nice (definitely could be CON for some).
Better design overall inside plenum and runners (compared to traditional).
Split plenum - self explanatory.
Low profile, sits lower than you think on engine (but can be a CON).
Tons of predrilled ports on back side of plenum.
Spots to relocate sensors or add ports.
Plenty of meat to port everything.

I may have overlooked a few pros or cons, but you get the idea. I have a Skunk2 70mm Alpha TB on mine. It pretty closely matched the TB opening out of the box. If you have a intake manifold already, save your money. If you need one, and don't mind potential clearance issues or any other con, then I would buy it.

PS - Yes, I know the OP already bought his.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad Dark_Teg felt that it was worthwhile for his particular purpose. With a TR3030R, it will be a bit more robust on the lower rpm range, and BEAUTIFUL for the circuit, but *sigh*.... Drag racing is his love, so I'm sure it'll do alright as well.
Dude I would kill to be able to circuit race. I am limited to the Auto-X events the Porsche club puts on at a local airport or drag racing. My CRX isn't even set-up like a drag car. I have huge sway bars front and back with Skunk2 Pro-S coilovers. No drag springs for me. If I had somewhere to go circuit race I would buy a big brake kit and ditch drag racing for the most part.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the replys,

Yes I did see the pop bottle porting method, I plan to do this although I consider it more of a polish then a port, I would have bought a pre ported manifold directly from 4 piston if I had a bigger build or wanted to shift my power band higher, Im going for more of a mid range power band.

My throttle body Is going to be a skunk2 alpha 70MM which costs $120 and would have been purchased regardless of which aftermarket manifold.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

No results yet but i recently upgraded my sk2 pro series manifold, sk2 tuner 1 cams, sk2 70mm tb and sk2 Alpha V1 header for the Ultra street manifold, 74mm tb and Tuner 2 cams and Alpha V2 header.

Im still on the previous tune but i can tell theres much more low and mid range that can be felt. Vtec activates much later around 6k+ than it did with the tuner 1 cams but again it hasn't been retuned N.A for the new setup but should have the results soon to share. Then its getting retuned with the Pro Charger SC after.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AFRs close to the same with the older parts?
Old 10-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

AFRs close to the same with the older parts?
Just part throttle But i don't drive the car more than 2 days a weak and only baby it then till the engine is retuned of course. I was curious to the power band after the upgrades but i haven't pushed it more than a few times testing vtec. Im very curious to the gains it will make, last setup made 200 hp n.a and 275 hp @6 psi with the Pro Charger with the old SK2 mods.

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 10-14-2015 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone Running Skunk2 Ultra Manifold