Notices

Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load?

I have an Endyne catch can set up and i have never had probs with it. i have the drain back hooked up and everything and for some reason this weekend at the track, the second day of events when i started making some big MPH runs i went back to the pits and noticed now my catch can had oil all over it and the filter. Is it possible that im still building up crank case pressure that bad? or could the heat or anything have to do with it? the oil level still looked good when it cooled down.

anyone else having these probs. what you think?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (itr206)

There are a bunch of posts in the endyne forum about this. I was reading up on it as I am gonna use the same type of setup. Seems like some have the problem and some don't. Mostly guys who race/autocross seem to have the problem. Oil spashing up the back side of the block...etc...
Old 07-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (legendboy)

i might have to check that out. i was thinking of adding another one to the valve cover if needed, but i dont wanna do it if there is a better solution
Old 08-26-2005, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (itr206)

i have a boosted set up and noticed the same **** oil coming out from the top like the oil is foaming and blowing out the top! i have a brand new set up and there is not that much blow by wtf! is going on i have heard numerous people saying they have the same issue i think it is the location of the fittings in the back of the block in the oil drain back
Old 08-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (bign2odaddy)

Alot of the big dawgs have this prob too.
Brian Ballard used to just wrap a rag around the filter at the track.
Lol. Its nothing uncommon
Old 08-26-2005, 12:27 PM

sucks becasue whats the point of tryingto release crankcase pressure if its spitting up oil? makes a damn mess on everything and the damn endyn can has baffles wtf! and there forum is closed so you cant get info from them
Old 08-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (bign2odaddy)

Mine did that some in the beginning.

I think it is cause you have the drainback feature, this, from what I've read will cause lots of oil to go into the catchcan. I have no drainback and I also only have one hose coming off the back of the blok to the catch can.

"supposedly" using both ports on the back of the block is bad cause one (near alternator on b series) is a major oil galley for the motor.

Just for peace of mind, I added two fittings to my valvecover to another catch can.

just a fyi....i've noticed that more oil will be sucked up into the can when your decelerating than any other time. My can originally vented to ground and when I was on the dyno, oil would literally spew all over the dyno during deceleration fro a high speed.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I always just tie a towel around the filter.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jared)

WTF? I thought I was the only one with this problem. I have both block fittings hooked up, and the drain back installed. After one hard pull on the highway I had oil sprayed all over my engine bay. There must be a better way. Can the block fittings be modified to prevent oil from entering them?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dr Pooface)

I have the same problem. Whenever I run my car hard or do a 3rd pull to redline I have **** coming out of my catchcan. I do not use the drainback feature. I thought it may be because the fact I wasn't using the drainback feature and my catchcan was not high enough, but it looks to me that that may not be the problem.

I am not sure what I am going to do. It looks to me, that it is better to leave those holes plugged and just plumb the valve cover. There are 500whp hondas that have no catchcan and have no problems with a valvecover breather.

Any ideas? Cause this **** is messy.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

just a fyi....i've noticed that more oil will be sucked up into the can when your decelerating than any other time. My can originally vented to ground and when I was on the dyno, oil would literally spew all over the dyno during deceleration fro a high speed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's because your crankcase was under excess pressure due to the fact that the pcv port was closed off because of the boost in the manifold. When you decel, the port opens and relieves the excess pressure hence, the spewing oil to the ground
Old 08-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (Stewie)

sorry stewie but your wrong. I have no pcv valve anywhere in my setup. It was just the excessive pressure.

Originally I only had one port off the block and thats why it spewed oil.

Once I added the two valvecover breathers, now the catch cans don't fill up.

I think we just need several vents so the pressure can escape. Having only one port starts sucking the oil up too much.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (mike1114)

Anyone come up with a way to solve this? Should I just remove those fittings from the back of the block and just add some fittings to my valve cover.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (BodyKits NW)

most guys i see just zip tie a towel or rag around the filter. i did that and it works for me
Old 09-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (BodyKits NW)

With the one port on the back of the block and two ports on the valve cover, I have to empty my catch can (only the one from the back of the block) about once every two weeks. It will be pretty much full by then.

Here is some recent pics of my catch can setup: Don't ya love the power steering catch can???

Old 09-23-2005, 10:26 AM

could a check valve solve this. could it be during decel the vacuum that's created with the throttle closed causes the engine to suck the contents of the catch can out?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (mamaboy)

I kinda thought the opposite,

During decel, pressure inside the motor is streaming out the catch can lines into the catch can so fast, its actually sucking the oil out of the motor.

I think the diameter of the catch can lines also has something to do with tit, thats why I used as large as I could fit.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember reading something a while back on TOO's forums about how he changed his directions and said that if using the drainback feature, you should T into the passender side tube instead of the driverside one.

I think that helped me a bit, but I assumed my problem was due to the fact that my motor is on its 3rd searon. Maybe not....

Whenever I had mine hooked up without the drainback feature, it was horrible. I actually had it draining to the ground and I would lose like 2-3 quarts of oil from a 1/4 pull
Old 09-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: NOVA, but OC MD for the summers, 10th St., Tyson R.I.P, USA

I have both ports on back of block running to the air no catch can and stock breather on valve cover. I only have a little build up of oil in the line but none blowing out. Still have not hooked up the catch can itself but no mess so far.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (98coupe)

the problem is that most catch cans are hooked up to the oil drain back holes on the backside of the engine block, and the diameter of these lines isnt all that big anyway.

common sense would tell you, upon acceleration, all the oil will be "thrown" against the rear most part of the engine.........

to fix the problem, the catch cans should be hooked into the front side of the valve cover(baffling the valve cover will help too) and you should use a large line (we have 2, -16 an lines in the front of our cover) the reason for the large line is simple, to allow the air inside the engine, somewhere to move, without bringing "so much" oil with it. with a smaller line, you are more likely to get more oil in your catch can's
Old 09-23-2005, 11:50 AM
sh!t happens.

G

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (Dturbocivic)

I have been doing some research on this. I am looking into buying one for my new motor. Bump for this thread. .. GOOD THREAD&gt;
Old 09-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (G"UNIT)

plug them to your header or downpipe
Old 09-23-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (civicguy)

haha, same problem here... but I don't use the drain back, and I only use the oil galley on the tranny side and also the valve cover.

I thought I just need to make the can higher up.. or use some fitting with an anti siphen tube I saw threads about a long time ago..? anyone know what I'm talking about or where I can find these anti siphen fittings for the oil galley?

my can fills up fast. it's also not the endyne can but same style from morosso but twice as long. damn thing holds like a quart of oil. fills up in a few days after I drain it... I have to keep adding oil in the motor until the can is full then my oil level stays put. I hate it though because it makes my oil turn black fast and I get the moister + vapor mix going back into the motor after its full

so what about that anti siphen block fitting?
Old 09-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load? (turbosi03)

endyn sells the anti-siphon ports but most with the endyn setup are still having this problem too.

I personally don't like the route to exhaust method, every now and then its gonna shoot out blue smoke and an oily film will build up in your exhaust. To me, these are things to watch out for to know that your motor is in bad shape, not just spewing oil into my exhaust.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:49 PM
sh!t happens.

G

I know this is a dum question, But what power should you start using the catch can at or looking to get one? What happens if you keep stock setup at high whp?

Quick Reply: Anyone having probs with there catch cans spewing out under load?