Notices

Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car?

For a while now it seems like I have minor headaches right after I get home from work.

I asked my doctor about them and he ran some tests on me but everything checked out fine. I am perfectly healthy, which is a good thing, other than I still have headaches after work most of the time.

My wife seems to think that it could be my car. I mean, if I drive through traffic I smell like fumes when I get home.

Most of the time I sit in traffic for about 45 minutes on the way home, stop and go style.

Could I be getting these headaches from the fumes? I don't have a cat and I am running an open breather type crankcase ventilation system which is baffled with steel wool and an air filter. I always drive with my windows down in traffic though, so I don't know how much I could really be breathing in.

Do any of you get headaches after stop and go driving in your turbo car? Is it possible that I am getting headaches from the fumes or am I crazy?

Old 07-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car has been giving off exhaust fumes, oil fumes, and fuel and i can always smell something inside my car..
it could be as easy as exhaust fumes going through your shifter area or anything through the firewall openings...
Old 07-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I don't have a cat and I am running an open breather type crankcase ventilation system which is baffled with steel wool and an air filter. I always drive with my windows down in traffic though, so I don't know how much I could really be breathing in.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Check your exhaust for any leaks.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (EJ1 wilcox)

I hate the fumes from the catch can, but I don't smell the dumptube very often. If the weather is cool, I'll drive with the sunroof and windows open. If it's too hot, I put the A/C on w/recirculation. I know what you mean, though. It can't be healthy.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (USE2B16A)

I dont have a cat either...fumes
Old 07-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (USE2B16A)

when i first got everything running, i did get the feelings your talking about, especially the first morning i had the car back and let it warm up in the garage with the door closed ..

now a few months later, im used to it. i mean...the lack of a cat makes it smell nasty, and the combination of that oil and fuel is so tasty

best bet...check for leaks..and maybe do a closed loop dump tube
Old 07-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (yehiknowrite)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yehiknowrite &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i first got everything running, i did get the feelings your talking about, especially the first morning i had the car back and let it warm up in the garage with the door closed ..

now a few months later, im used to it. i mean...the lack of a cat makes it smell nasty, and the combination of that oil and fuel is so tasty

best bet...check for leaks..and maybe do a closed loop dump tube</TD></TR></TABLE>

the dump tube doesn't matter, since its only open at boost (when you're moving)
its ually leaks that cause the fumes...
Old 07-26-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (Finest)

The cat doesn't really effect the amount of carbon monoxide in the exhaust.

But if his exhaust is leaking, it may be carbon monoxide. I get headaches on occasion while driving in heavy traffic. Both my cars have open dumps, and quite often in traffic, I smell the fumes if I leave the windows open. It's not as bad as under full throttle, but even under moderate acceleration, the dump opens. I think it's a combination of the fumes, heat, and exhaust from other cars around me.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Finest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Check your exhaust for any leaks. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-26-2005, 10:18 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (AP-Signworks1)

I've experienced this once....and it was when we were tuning a car in the shop over the winter (doors were closed). It was not fun....and you're feeling as dead nuts on to those of carbon monoxide inhalation. Check the exahust
Old 07-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (AP-Signworks1)

I checked my exhaust and there are zero leaks...

And when I'm sitting in traffic the open dump doesn't open, so that couldn't be the problem.

I'm thinking that it is just from sitting in traffic and breathing in my fumes and the fumes of the cars around me. I guess there is not much I can do about that, other than avoid the traffic somehow.

So, putting in some sort of high-flow cat wouldn't reduce these fumes? Right now I am running one of those "high-flow cat"s that is really just a resonated test pipe. If I switched it out with like a catco or something would it help?
Old 07-26-2005, 10:25 AM
BCICAN

maybe you're just a girlie mon and need to suck it up? j/k

well somehow you are getting exhaust fumes into your car....does it exit out the back by the bumper or do you have a "turn down" style one?
Old 07-26-2005, 10:33 AM

take your wifes car to work then, and see what happens

maybe its just the fact you are stuch in traffic that gives you headaches
Old 07-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am running an open breather type crankcase ventilation system which is baffled with steel wool and an air filter. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I have the same setup with the catch can air filter near the passenger side firewall - since installing my built motor the smell sometimes makes me feel sick, to the point that I think I'm going to put a fitting onto my turbo inlet and recirculate the fumes.

I'd actually prefer to route it into the exhaust but the logistics of doing so are not quite as simple.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Mike Jones

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (notoriousB)

I was JUST gonna make a post like this!!!! Odd......

I get pretty nasty headaches while "cruising" around, or racing. I can only imagine the fumes i'm breathing in. Like you, i roll both windows down and my sunroof back (Si hatch).
I have an internally gated turbo, no cat, and running 93octane of course. I also have my hatch gutted out allowing for more fumes to get in i guess. I'm hoping i get used to it eventually..........and i don't believe i have any exhaust leaks?! I just got it put on....
Old 07-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (SlowPokeEg)

I get like that sometimes too.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.
Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I get like that sometimes too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

as do i...it's gotta be the fumes
Old 07-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (LoSt is BlaCk)

yall just cant handle da powa'
Old 07-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (N I C K)

this should be the next "turbo shirt" sloagan

You know you have a turbo honda when you get lightheaded after driving
Old 07-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (N I C K)

Think I should just wear a gas mask while driving in traffic? LoL...

Maybe I'm just allergic to traffic...

I'm sure it's the combination of heat, traffic, lack of AC, black car with black interior, crank case vapors, and exhaust fumes...

Old 07-26-2005, 03:20 PM

I used to feel sick after driving when running open downpipe
Old 07-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Think I should just wear a gas mask while driving in traffic? LoL...

Maybe I'm just allergic to traffic...

I'm sure it's the combination of heat, traffic, lack of AC, black car with black interior, crank case vapors, and exhaust fumes... </TD></TR></TABLE>

just wear one and call it the sars scare prevention
Old 07-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

dont worry you'll get used to it. both my previous turbo setups i ran open and felt like this at first. dont worry your lungs will blacken up after a while and u won't even notice it...
Old 07-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (flip1199)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flip1199 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont worry you'll get used to it. both my previous turbo setups i ran open and felt like this at first. dont worry your lungs will blacken up after a while and u won't even notice it... </TD></TR></TABLE>

LMAO!!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 04:06 PM
jBj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (flip1199)

I also get headaches in my turbo gsr, but i do have an open WG
I think its just a sacrifice of having lotsa powa!
Old 07-26-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car? (jBj)

My setup: no cat, exhaust driven crankcase scavenging, re-routed WG dump, I drive my car every single day and I never get headaches. Always roll with the windows down too.

Quick Reply: Anyone feel sick after driving in traffic in your turbo car?