Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing?

It seems like I've seen it mentioned on here, but upon searching I'm coming up with nothing.

My thought was that if someone was actually using it, it would probably only be on the back portion of the car behind the point where the paint stops burning off the exhaust (if anyone actually uses that measure).

If people are using aluminum for exhaust, is anyone using it on a street car? Does it contain the sound inside of the tubing less well than some nice steel exhaust tube, or does it seem louder because of resonance or whatever?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing? (Tjabo)

bump for info! i would like to know as well
Old 07-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im running 4" aluminum exhaust (after firewall) just like LOTS of people on here with sfwd/ts setups. i think there were a few running aluminum downpipes as well. i can only speak of my own car but it is very loud, just annoying....and then there is "antilag" loud

Old 07-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing? (redboost10)

thats not even half of the aluminum exhausts i have done......none of them have broken or "melted" or had anything negative happen to them. just make sure you have good engine mounts.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing? (Turbo-charged)

That's GREAT, thanks! And I love that "muffler" on the black car. . . LOL!

So you've made DPs and everything out of aluminum then (since one of the pictures appeared to be that)?

Have you ever made an aluminum exhaust for a street car to see if it would sound different in the car from what a steel exhaust sounds like?

Thanks again!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 PM

Holy **** that black SI is hotttt!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tjabo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's GREAT, thanks! And I love that "muffler" on the black car. . . LOL!

So you've made DPs and everything out of aluminum then (since one of the pictures appeared to be that)?

Have you ever made an aluminum exhaust for a street car to see if it would sound different in the car from what a steel exhaust sounds like?

Thanks again! </TD></TR></TABLE>

from steel to aluminum, i noticed a huge increase in sound
Old 07-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing? (redboost10)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redboost10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

from steel to aluminum, i noticed a huge increase in sound</TD></TR></TABLE>
Okay, I was afraid of that with the softer, weaker material. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

just make sure you have good engine mounts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Couldn't you just install a stainless flex section right where the downpipe connects the rest of the exhaust, or is the v band shape different from aluminum to steel, or something weird like that?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing? (hotrod99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotrod99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Holy **** that black SI is hotttt!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, i kinda like it lol aluminun exhaust are soo sick, that i dont HAVE to run it, but i like it soo much that i still do plus Joe S is nasty at makin them ha
i and many others have been running alum exhaust for a loooong time now, and have never had any problems what so ever.
thanks BTW
Old 07-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing? (rorik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rorik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Couldn't you just install a stainless flex section right where the downpipe connects the rest of the exhaust, or is the v band shape different from aluminum to steel, or something weird like that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that exhaust in that picture is all aluminum including the downpipe so there is no way to add anything stainless. with out using an aditional vband on each side of the flex section....so that would make it the worlds most expensive flex section ever

Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I meant adding 2 more v band pieces, 1 on each end of the flex section.. You can get stainless flex sections on ebay for under $30 shipped, they're not any lower in quality than from summit racing or whatever, how much are the v band flanges? Can't be That much, can it?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im making an aluminum exhaust for my diesel. lol
Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing? (MrParks)

All those exhausts look great but unfortunately look "ghetto" because of their path under the car, I understand their functionality for a race car but not for a street car. Is it possible to run a 4" in the stock location and up over the LCA? I am selling my 3" now to go to 4" but there is no way it would work if it had to be hung under my car like that, speedbumps would be a battle I think I would lose.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing? (vtekthis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtekthis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea, i kinda like it lol aluminun exhaust are soo sick, that i dont HAVE to run it, but i like it soo much that i still do plus Joe S is nasty at makin them ha
i and many others have been running alum exhaust for a loooong time now, and have never had any problems what so ever.
thanks BTW </TD></TR></TABLE>
So are these all race cars, or are there actually people running aluminum exhausts on street cars with mufflers and such?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing? (hotrod99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotrod99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Holy **** that black SI is hotttt!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

..you mean that EX ..hi darren
Old 07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing? (96 GSR-T)

like this?

oh and yes i drive it on the street once a while no problems

Old 07-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look real good, do you remember the radius size of the bends you used?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

ive done plenty over the axle as well......most people dont want to pay for it though. my coupe had it over the axle and bens car is over the axle.

when you have a car thats suposed to make 700+ horsepower and it makes 450 and you waste endless amounts of hours trying to figure out why...and find out its the flex section in the downpipe.....your hesitant to use them. especially ebay ones!

if you have good engine mounts you dont need it. ive probably done 75 cars with out them and the only one that had an issue was one that completely broke the rear engine mount and did not have torque mounts (i had nothing to do with that part of it!). either way taht probably would have broken the downpipe even if it had a flex section in it.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

jason thats not a MS 90 welded to a burns muffler is it? LOL

i think i'd be a little hesitant to mount it directly to the car with out any rubber hangers.

i did my old exhaust with a stianless sleeve so i could use stainless hangers- that worked out nice

Old 07-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that SI is tittays...
Old 07-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you have a car thats suposed to make 700+ horsepower and it makes 450 and you waste endless amounts of hours trying to figure out why...and find out its the flex section in the downpipe.....your hesitant to use them. especially ebay ones!</TD></TR></TABLE>
You wouldn't be talking about the ones that are like corregated or convolute or something on the inside are you? . . . . I just welded one of those into my DP, and I was afraid it might not be great. . . . . I just didn't guess it would be THAT bad.

Or maybe that's not what you're talking about?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jason thats not a MS 90 welded to a burns muffler is it? LOL

i think i'd be a little hesitant to mount it directly to the car with out any rubber hangers.

i did my old exhaust with a stainless sleeve so i could use stainless hangers- that worked out nice

</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahahha busted.... lol

i was really pist when i found out it was ms. i did it in the middle of the night. with no light. i thought i did a good job until when i found out that it was ms... lol idiot!

oh well. and the hangers held up great. just goes to show how desperate i was to get my car on the track. 1" aluminum strip from lowes. bent over a steel gate.... move over tempest and t1 i got this lol
Old 07-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MrParks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All those exhausts look great but unfortunately look "ghetto" because of their path under the car, I understand their functionality for a race car but not for a street car. Is it possible to run a 4" in the stock location and up over the LCA? I am selling my 3" now to go to 4" but there is no way it would work if it had to be hung under my car like that, speedbumps would be a battle I think I would lose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is no problem routing 4" through the stock exhaust pathway. and no, pie cuts are not needed

http://www.globaltecheng.com for the cheapest bends
Old 07-30-2008, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing? (boostfeen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostfeen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

..you mean that EX ..hi darren </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, its lighter

thanks for the compliments guys, That black EX is mine.

Quick Reply: Anyone Actually Using Aluminum Exhaust Tubing?