Notices

Anybody have, or know someone with a draw through setup?

Old 07-24-2004, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have, or know someone with a draw through setup?

Out of curiousity is anyone using a draw through turbo setup? Sure there are a few mild shortcomings, but it would be different. With the cars that command the overwhelming majority of my interest(certain little german ones that don't need a radiator and have horsehair in the seats), this is obviously more commonplace. I think I remember seeing a pic of a 4bbl d-series drag crx on here, and im sure a sidedraft has been tried. Simply curious, I have no intentions of owning a turboed honda.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Anybody have, or know someone with a draw through setup? (poop II)

Only if they are carburated. Most EFI vehicles do not use a draw through setup. You must be talking about air cooled VWs.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anybody have, or know someone with a draw through setup? (Arturbo)

whoa! people still use carburetors? maybe you should look into the hispanic midget J Davis has. Seems to be a nice medium between carbs and mpfi. Also Bells book, "maximum boost" a little bit of turbo + carb info.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody have, or know someone with a draw through setup? (Bailhatch)

Yeah has anyone done this on a honda? Would it even benifit from it?
Old 07-25-2004, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Anybody have, or know someone with a draw through setup? (Split Image Prez)

go to the junkyard and take a look at any 84-87 turbo chrysler product. throttle-body on the turbo, it's shitty.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody have, or know someone with a draw through setup? (Split Image Prez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Split Image Prez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah has anyone done this on a honda? Would it even benifit from it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

benifit? from carbs? if there was, fast hondas would have it. I'm sure tons of people do it but fuel injection blows cabruration out of the water on so many levels.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody have, or know someone with a draw through setup? (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

benifit? from carbs? if there was, fast hondas would have it. I'm sure tons of people do it but fuel injection blows cabruration out of the water on so many levels.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL I didn't mean the carb thing I just meant putting the T-body by the turbo...
Old 07-25-2004, 07:49 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Bisi's CRX is carbuerated...but he's like the only one I can think of still hanging onto that old technology in the Honda community.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anybody have, or know someone with a draw through setup?

I use draw-through and blow-through to describe supercharged, MAF-based EFI systems. I'm not sure if that's technically correct to do so, but it makes sense and seems intuitive to me.

I can't think of any reason to run draw-through on a speed-density system. It would only complicate the electrical wiring and vaccum/coolant hose routing.

Also, if it was draw-through in the truest sense of the word, the MAP sensor would still be reading from the throttle body (which has now been placed before the supercharger). You would have to do the fuel and ignition basemaps as a function of vacuum instead of positive pressure. That seems really unintuitive and just plain ***-backwards to me, especially when you have the option to do it the easy way.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Anybody have, or know someone with a draw through setup? (IN VTEC)

Arturbo made a thread about this in the past. It was about a buggy though w/a B-series on it.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Anybody have, or know someone with a draw through setup? (IN VTEC)

Draw-through is litterally when the fuel goes through the turbo. Any other method, including MPFI, TBI, or blow-though carb is, well, blow-through.

There is a reason nobody uses draw-through anymore. The technology is outmoded.

The Pontiac 301 turbo uses a draw-through. Here is a picture of that:

http://publish.uwo.ca/~agrehorn/Paul'sengine2.jpg

Bah, you have to copy and paste it. The url and img tags don't work with it.

You cannot see a "hat" on the carburator, because the system pulls the mixture out of the carburator, through the compressor there on top of the engine, then blows it back through a seperate port into the intake manifold. The system is dangerous and terribly inefficient. (You can only go with a couple pounds of boost or your risk having the fuel flash on you, and that is bad juju)
Old 07-25-2004, 08:49 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: Anybody have, or know someone with a draw through setup? (poop II)

That is one ugly ****.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Anybody have, or know someone with a draw through setup? (DaX)

Draw through setups are not the devil that everyone claims them to be. They can be reliable and make ridiculous amounts of power, it's just that there arent many cars today that could benefit from it. Obviously, since modern hondas have a throttle body, it is much easier to go blow through. I was just wondering if someone took a trip off the well beaten path and tried it. You just cant use an intercooler unless you want to blow yourself up. But thats not always necessary, plus water injection and nitrous are viable options. Of note, I am a fan of Corky Bell's maximum boost with the exception of where he completly bashes draw through turbos and water injection. Different apps call for different methods. And for those who think that you can't make power draw through, the guy building my motor(which will also eventually be d-t, demon 650 4bbl) ran a 10.06@143 in his old all steel, 150lbs heavier than stock,street driven '68 bug bogging badly. No nitrous, no water injection, just a 2276(big, but not huge) with a t04s on 25psi. Ps, on mickey thomson et streets.

Modified by poop II at 11:00 PM 7/25/2004