Notices

Any Zdyne tuners in NC

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any Zdyne tuners in NC

Anybody know any zdyne tuners in NC or Southern Virginia?
Old 03-17-2005, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Any Zdyne tuners in NC (HT Chaplin)

PM Speed Phreak, he uses that garbage to tune his CRX...
Old 03-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Zdyne tuners in NC (mildly.interesting)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mildly.interesting &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">PM Speed Phreak, he uses that garbage to tune his CRX... </TD></TR></TABLE>

What! OBD0 rules plus im too lazy to switch to OBD1
Old 04-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 02-10-2006, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 02-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guess you've already bought the Zdyne... if you are curious at all... check out turboedit... its grown alot now. http://www.turboedit.org... or more up to date.. http://www.pgmfi.org and the TE forums.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Zdyne tuners in NC (splitime)

Just from experiance having a few OBD0 cars and being a tuner in outa NC going OBD1 is the easier way to go in the long run
Old 02-10-2006, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Zdyne tuners in NC (Cprace1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cprace1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just from experiance having a few OBD0 cars and being a tuner in outa NC going OBD1 is the easier way to go in the long run</TD></TR></TABLE>

Curious as to your thoughts behind this? TE has grown up and can handle pretty nice setups. It could still use high rpm resolution and newer tools like ect correction... but beyond that its got the majority of the features... and tunes up great.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have not used Zdyne I will be honest about that so I can not say anything bad about that and honestly the last time I used TE was about a year ago and we had some issues with it and have not gone back but as you said they have came a long way in a short time so maybe I should take a look, you just have more options when you go with OBD1, the best thing I have seen for setup wise on a OBDO car is finding a old Hondata Stage system and using that I used that on my car for several months before I decided to go OBD1. The only problem with the stage system is that you have to find someone with the older Hondata software because the newer one has some bugs in it when it comes to tuning the stage systems. What kind of setup do you have, how much boost, how big are the injectors and so forth?
Old 02-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cprace1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have not used Zdyne I will be honest about that, you just have more options when you go with OBD1, the best thing I have seen for setup wise on a OBDO car is finding a old Hondata Stage system and using that I used that on my car for several months before I decided to go OBD1. The only problem with the stage system is that you have to find someone with the older Hondata software because the newer one has some bugs in it when it comes to tuning the stage systems. What kind of setup do you have, how much boost, how big are the injectors and so forth?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Currently 550s, ~20psi boost (friends car, i'm still at 12psi, was 18psi on old setup... but his current 20 that I tuned for is more applicable), both custom kits, mine is on a semi-built d16z6 running 1wire vtec.

http://www.pgmfi.org and head to the turboedit section.

There are more obd1 options, but currently for a large chunk of obd0 people, TE should work great. Its got the majority of features that people are looking for and handles itself just like Crome.

I know in the past there have been almost no options for real obd0 stuff, except for Zdyne... but pgmfi guys have really developed TurboEdit and it really offers a great solution. (ie: 1wire vtec, boost, multiple map sensor support, launch "control" (oem 2step), boost cut etc...)
Old 02-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Zdyne tuners in NC (mildly.interesting)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mildly.interesting &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">PM Speed Phreak, he uses that garbage to tune his CRX... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Two problems with that.

1) Dick doesn't come to HT much so a PM is a waste of time (but I will link him to this thread)

2) Dick's Zdyne occupies a shelf now. He's gone OBD1 to get features he needs with the new setup.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Zdyne tuners in NC (J. Davis)

agreed there are just so many more options with OBD1 back when we where trying to use to use TE we where having issues with the Boost maps, I have another CRX that has not been converted yet here maybe we will give it a try
Old 02-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

About a year ago was when Blundar and Parker went on a four month long excursion ransacking TE's code (both front end and MCU end) to try and get things hammered into a somewhat stable and modular form. You probably got poor support on what codebase and what version of TE to use with how everything was up in the air, and the programmers were too busy programming to offer any support.

Nothing wrong with TE, or Zdyne, or OBD0, Dick just has some strange irons in the fire.

Zdyne's ability to reflash while driving is pimpjuice, from what I understand.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">About a year ago was when Blundar and Parker went on a four month long excursion ransacking TE's code (both front end and MCU end) to try and get things hammered into a somewhat stable and modular form. You probably got poor support on what codebase and what version of TE to use with how everything was up in the air, and the programmers were too busy programming to offer any support.

Nothing wrong with TE, or Zdyne, or OBD0, Dick just has some strange irons in the fire.

Zdyne's ability to reflash while driving is pimpjuice, from what I understand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Running an ostrich you can real time program straight through TE
I was testing the new autotune stuff last night with my Ostrich... realtime idle retuned the car
Old 02-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like I need to try some TE nothing wrong with trying out something again
Old 02-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cprace1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like I need to try some TE nothing wrong with trying out something again </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yah, its tough to know whats going on with something so freelance as the pgmfi projects can be. Its easy to loose track of where they sit.

I've been there trying to help test and watched it grow quite nicely over the last year. And more recently with datalogging/maptrace and autotune being added, its grown up fast.

I'd definitly suggest at least trying it, you still might not like it.. but I'm using it quite successfully and would definitly say give it a shot.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well I have a CRX here Fully Built LS Vtec and a Full-Race kit planning on making around 400hp we can give it a try on, we where planning on converting it but have not yet. I mean you are right there are many softwares that have had issues, and came back and been something great to tune with.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Avoid TE or Zdyne for the B-VTECs that need high RPM resolution. TE's codebase will eventually be tweaked so you can add/change rpm scalars, but for right now it's not what you want. Your AFR curve will be constantly sine waving to a significant degree.

I've run two cars off of Ben Ogle's BRE, based on the OBD0 PW0 and PR3, with great results. You might give it a try, I'm running my "semi built" high CR mini-me on it, shooting for 300 whp.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm here now, I suck. Ask your Zdyne questions. I can prolly help. I ran my Zdyne for about 4 years. I have absolutely no problems with it. I just decided to change directions with my new setup. OBD-1 works well enough for me to justify not putting the Zdyne back in. My 2.0L HX35 powered LS ran most excellent on Zdyne.

It will be just fine for anyone not trying to spin to 9k. A high power VTEC car I'd suggest OBD-1 as well. The dual map tuning resolution that is inherent to OBD-1 computers is the main reason. At any rate anything above about 8000rpm is a give/loose situation as far as the tuning goes on the Zdyne. The Zdyne's rpm map only carries out to 7400 rpm, after the the ECU basically makes it's best guess what the fuel/ignition should be based on the previous slope of the fuel/timing curve. Sometimes to prevent leaning out on the big end you've got to enrichen that last row of your tuning table to compensate or vice versa.

Modified by Speed PHreak at 3:47 PM 2/10/2006
Old 02-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Zdyne tuners in NC (Speed PHreak)

I think the real question is how much HP are you trying to make
Old 02-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

around 270 -300 whp. i will have my rev limiter set at 8200 im just looking for someone to tune my car once i go turbo
Old 02-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran ZDYNE on my old bosoted B16 that made about 300whp in the end. I'm currently going to use it with my 3 bar setup on my 2.0GSR that I will be spinning to 9000+. yes the Zdyne only goes to 7400 which is pretty weak... btu I have my VAFC that is configured for the 3 bar which can adjust to 9000. so I'll have to fine tune the top end from 7400-9000 via that. Yes that defeats the purpose of it all and may skew the timing. but I can't see the top end being too far off from what fuel ratio you want if you tuned the last few cells correct. I can't imagine it being more then 1-3% correction. And even then. that 1-3% or more is in the positives. In doing so, that would retard timing, not advance like the shitty afc negative correction method... Either way. it'll be finicky at best really, but I have everythnig already so... I will eventually goto OBD1 tho. but for now. it works and worsk awesome for me.

BTW, jsut so everyone knows.. when on my B16. I was spiunning it daily to 8600 rpm and the A/F were DEAD on just like it was at 7400rpm. that was with 450s
Old 02-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HT Chaplin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">around 270 -300 whp. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That won't be hard for any B-series with a Zdyne. Above that you might want to go another route, unless Zdyne starts supporting it's product again.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've run two cars off of Ben Ogle's BRE, based on the OBD0 PW0 and PR3, with great results. You might give it a try, I'm running my "semi built" high CR mini-me on it, shooting for 300 whp. </TD></TR></TABLE>
y0, you better have dyno graphs I can post in the forum!

Ben
Old 02-13-2006, 10:00 AM

I make 500 whp and spin to 8800 on Zdyne

But anyway zdyne is not hard at all to tune ... just no datalogging or lamda trace to pin point the lean/rich locations or play with timing. It just requires a few more dyno pulls but all in all its the same as everything else.

Quick Reply: Any Zdyne tuners in NC