Notices

Any one from CT ever have to go to DMV for exhaust ticket ? What to expect

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one from CT ever have to go to DMV for exhaust ticket ? What to expect

I'm pretty much get harassed by the cops here and bascially their making up bs reason to pull me over anyway i got an exhaust ticket (while i was ideling in a parking lot ) after i got a no front licese plate ticket (no front bumper at the moment). I just want to know if anyone went and what i'll will be expecting. They called it a falty exhaust system. Also do people on here from ct have anyproblems passing emissions. 1999 civic si b16a turbo 1000cc injectors, thermal 3 inch exhaust with cat, full race turbo set up, p30 ecu.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:45 PM
rota92

Default Re: Any one from CT ever have to go to DMV for exhaust ticket ? What to expect (b16bri)

If you're fighting it, just go buy a stock system, get the receipt and return it. Bring it to court with you.

I've been screwed 33 times by this wonderful state, that always worked for me on the exhaust deal lol
Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any one from CT ever have to go to DMV for exhaust ticket ? What to expect (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're fighting it, just go buy a stock system, get the receipt and return it. Bring it to court with you.

I've been screwed 33 times by this wonderful state, that always worked for me on the exhaust deal lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

after 33 times i think id listen to this guy hahahah
Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any one from CT ever have to go to DMV for exhaust ticket ? What to expect (spoolin turbo s)

Damn actualy the thing is it's not a ticket it's a little pink peice of paper listed as a warning saying i have 20 days to show proof of a repair to my improper muffler. The car has cats and a perfectly working muffler. so dose this change that at all
Old 10-29-2008, 02:25 PM
rota92

Default Re: Any one from CT ever have to go to DMV for exhaust ticket ? What to expect (b16bri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoolin turbo s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

after 33 times i think id listen to this guy hahahah</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha the state loves my donations

As far as the pink slip goes, try to see what the inspector says to you. If not, buy/find a stock setup and go have them pass you.

Once again, from my experience it's all who is on that day and what type of day they had
Old 10-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any one from CT ever have to go to DMV for exhaust ticket ? What to expect (rota92)

At the dmv what kind of inspection are they going to perform just throw the car on a lift and check for a cat and a muffler or are they gonna run an emission test on my car. Am i gonna end up getting my ***** broken for have a turboed honda. Also could i go to a service station and have them inspect my car and wright me up a recipt saying that did the work or inspected it and theres no problem?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:35 PM
rota92

You'll drive to the DMV inspection. I've cleaned up now as I drive trucks lol

But 2 years ago I went, they had me just drive through. I was told it passed, then went on my merry way. Little did they know the stock muffler hanging there was on a valve that dumped a few inches off the road haha

You will not get emmisions tested, you will not get bagged for a turbo'd car. Nothing says that's illegal at all. They are to inspect you for one thing, and one thing only. No lift either, unless things have changed.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you mean I dont get that part about your stock muffler lol. Ok so considering my cars not that loud I should hopfully just drive threw and be fine. However the thermal muffler is bigger than the stock one. What happens if you fail they give u a few days to fix it and return.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:46 PM
rota92

Yea go ASAP, that way you have time to get it fixed in case they don't like it.

I had a stock muffer, on a Y pipe. It would flow air when revved, but would exit up front out a turndown too lol

Sometimes they won't mind the muffler, luckily the thermal is a nice piece. I was just thinking about how unricy it looked on my friends car this morning actually. That may save ya
Old 10-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopfully... It's just ot looks bad going there with no front bumper and a huge front mount sitting there thats just asking to get my ***** broken lol.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JW have you ever had any problems passing an emission text with your car. I'm
Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm hoping mine will pass when i have to take it next year
Old 10-29-2008, 02:52 PM
rota92

Dont go without a bumper lol That just looks like you don't care haha

I never had to do my car in its latest form, but a buddy just went with a 400 whp teg and it was mint. Idiot forgot to replace his gascap though haha
Old 10-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for what it worth those 'pink slips" which are really just a warning, dont mean ****. ive gotten a handful of them and the cops try to scare you by telling you they will pull your registration if you dont get it inspected but ive never actually gone to inspection nor has my reg ever been pulled.

emissions is easy, as long as you have a cat. emission stations are indepent from state/dmv so basically most places could give a **** less whats done to the car as long as it has a cat and passes the test.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any one from CT ever have to go to DMV for exhaust ticket ? What to expect (CoreyR)

even if it's an obd1 ecu and needs to go on the rollers. and if i choose not to go and they pull my regastration lol do you know how long they do it for or what happens than lol
Old 10-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if they pull your reg i dont know what hoops you gotta jump through to get it back. i doubt it will get pulled but dont take my word for it haha.

since your car is obd2 they will try to plug the scanner in the obd port and usually if it doesnt read they will just put it on the rollers. worst comes to worst you put a stock map sensor, stock injectors and a stock ecu back in to pass.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any one from CT ever have to go to DMV for exhaust ticket ? What to expect (CoreyR)

Ya that works i have the stock ecu and i'll have to get a new map but i'm sure i'll be able to get them cheap i'll just have to get injectors that will work with my resistor box
Old 10-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

We have this issue in Wisconsin's smaller towns - the cops have nothing better to do, as 2/3 of their ticket dollars come from kids under 21. I finally got SO sick of them, I decided to go stock [looking....]:

I have a 3" from the turbo back to the gas tank (no cat), and after that it goes to the stock pipe/muffler (actual Honda part). Before necking down to 1.875", I put a mustang TB which works as a 2.75" e-cutout. Its run by my ecu to open at full throttle via cable and very strong, fast motor. It takes normal cutouts 5 secs to open, mine opens in 1/2 a second. It can go much faster, but its hard on the motor's gears.

Nothing feels better to fly by a cop at WOT with no exhaust, get pulled over, and then watch him scratch his fat head. Obviously you don't get the bling factor if that's your thing, but my shiney stock EX tip does enough for me.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for what it worth those 'pink slips" which are really just a warning, dont mean ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is not true. I received one a while back and there's a box that they can check that requires you to go to inspection. I received one for tints a while back and a "certified" shop had to sign-off on the repair/removal.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any one from CT ever have to go to DMV for exhaust ticket ? What to expect (t0p_sh0tta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is not true. I received one a while back and there's a box that they can check that requires you to go to inspection. I received one for tints a while back and a "certified" shop had to sign-off on the repair/removal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know this, and ive had a few. i never went to inspection and nothing ever came of it.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:01 PM
New User

I live in CT and once I got a pink slip for sit belt and lights. When I brought it to inspction they just to see that everything works and tha's it. I would suggest you put a silencer in the muffler and of course put the bumper back, be polite dress up decent and you should be good.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any one from CT ever have to go to DMV for exhaust ticket ? What to expect (gigo001)

I threw the bumper on today and my new headlights so the car looks good and honestly the car really isn't loud untill i start actually making boost and than oblviously it gets loud but i doubt i'll be spooling the turbo at the dmv lol. I'm hoping i'll be ok thernal i believe are 48 state legal and CT being one of them and it has a cat and a working muffler so. I dont really see a problem. Just as HIprofile said i live in a small town were they have nothing better to do but bust kids ball.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So i went to the dmv today I was there for about 2 minuts including talking to the guy. How ever it only took me 25 seconds to fail lol. He took one look at my exhaust and told me to rev it to push the pedal to the floor and right after that i failed. So my question is i need a stock muffler is there a way i can weld a reduicer on the muffler to fit my 3 inch turbo back with out messing up my exhaust ? also how bad will this be for my tune and my car going from 3 inch to stock exhaust size considerign this is a 45 minute ride. He also told me to get a cut out for my exhaust ? meaning ?

Thanks guys
Old 11-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone ?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No change if you are using an O2 sensor to adjust AFR's while cruising. However with boost, it will make it rich enough to possibly cause issues. I like to put a flange right where the stock axle-back flange is because it makes it easier, but in this case, you could take a stock muffler, flange, and reducer and return the axle-back section to stock....for a day or three.

Quick Reply: Any one from CT ever have to go to DMV for exhaust ticket ? What to expect