Notices

ANOTHER turbo install nightmare. it's all over. im F*cking out of this game for good!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER turbo install nightmare. it's all over. im F*cking out of this game for good!

i do not know if i should bitch or just make a post but i am depressed as f*ck. 10 months of saving up money and working and piecing my turbo kit together, i finally got all my parts and time to install this past week. SPRING BREAK! TIME TO RELAX RIGHT?!? NOOOOOOOOOOpe!

here was my set up:
2000 integra gsr
-garrett t3/to4e turbo
-revhard custom downpipe for 4-bolt
-greddy type s bov
-dsm 450's w/. resistor box
-revhard piping for a gsr
-maxrev b-series turbo mani
-hondata s200 w/boost
-hondata chipped p28 ecu with obd2-obd1 convertor
-PWR intercooler
-Defi d-series boost gauge

blah blah

some of u know i made a post a few days ago with my turbo install problems. which helped out a LOT! thanks Mase and anyone else who took time to help me and my friend out. so last night, i finally got my oil pan tapped and everythings hooked up and car is ready to start. so i held my breath and crossed my fingers as i turned the key. VROOOOM! open downpipe is kinda loud. but my idle is steady which surprised me since i am using hondata's basemap. i thought itd be a rough idle. so im happy since everythings hooked up right. then i check the engine bay for any oil leaks. found one but tightened it up quickly. no problem. started my car again. engine bay is fine. checked under my car and i see oil dripping and turned off the car. i checked the oil pan, oil filter, turbo, oil return lines, everything was tighten. so i checked harder for the leak.

i finally get a flashlight and found the leak. it was the oil feed line and the fitting that was in the block. my friend told me he tightened that screw HELLA HELLA tight. too tight so it wouldnt leak. so i drained the oil and tried to loosen it and put it on again myself (since my friend did that part). when i was loosening it, i noticed it didnt take much effort to loosen it. weird i thought. so i finally took the screw off and thats when my heart dropped. THE ******* BLOCK WITH THE THREADING CRACKED! a piece of my block cracked off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and there goes my turbo install. there goes my block. car cant be driven. spent $$$$$ towing it to near my house. need to pay for a new block, and **** IT! IM GOING BACK TO STOCK!

im tired of this stuff. so close yet so far. but im done. no more turbo. no more aftermarket parts except for audio stuff. sorry for the long post or venting but this has got to be the worse week of my life. anyways, the car is in the shop now and they will take off all of my turbo parts and change the block, and put it back to STOOOOOOCK. so in a week or two, i will have a list of turbo stuff for sale. it is a good kit. i managed to take the tial WG and dumptube and my hondata s200b with a chipped hondata p28 ecu and obd convertor. so anyone who has the read this far and interested, IM or email me.

lesson of the day: no matter how much u think u know about installs or cars in general, it doesnt guarantee u a successful outcome of whatever project u are doing. mistakes can be made by the best of us.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:49 PM

Default Re: ANOTHER turbo install nightmare. it's all over. im F*cking out of this game for good! (Tru Dynam

ouch
Old 03-28-2003, 04:52 PM

Default Re: ANOTHER turbo install nightmare. it's all over. im F*cking out of this game for good! (Tru Dynam

Damn dude, that sucks. You gotta be careful with screwing things into the block though, it's aluminum so anything torqued down too much will either strip or shread off if you're not careful. Did an entire chunk of the block just crack off to the point that the block isn't salvagable?
Old 03-28-2003, 04:53 PM

Are you sure you can't get it welded and re-tapped?
Old 03-28-2003, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that sucks... shouldn't give up that easily though, i'm in the same boat as you are... so far its taken me about 6 months or so to buy most of the parts.. and i just need hondata and gauges to be ready to install... sorry to hear... but if youre not gonna go through with it.. maybe you can sell me your hondata s200 otherwise.. g'luck
Old 03-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that sucks, I would've done a roundhouse kick on my friends head if we would've done that! Important things like that, you need to carry out yourself. Leave friends to tightening hose clamps or loosening bolts, if they dont know much heh.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:29 PM

funny thing is. my friend was the one who knew everything. this was his 2nd turbo install and his first one was on his 1999 gsr.. so i trusted my left nut with this guy for the install. i guess id only have one nut left huh?

and yeah, my other friends dad who is a bmw mechanic said a chip that size means the block is gone. welding it wouldnt work and u cant really re-tap anything since it pretty much came off.

if u want the hondata s200 with boost, send me an IM. i didnt make an official fs thread in the FI classified since i dont have any pics yet. i forgot to mention, i drive my car 45 minutes to my friends house to do the install since his dad had all the tools and a HUGE garage. like i said, the towing was $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..

[Modified by Tru Dynamix, 2:30 AM 3/29/2003]
Old 03-28-2003, 05:40 PM

should have used GE's oil feed kit
Old 03-28-2003, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did the same thing...I just said fuggit, and threaded the T in crooked, cross threaded and everything. to this day, it still hasnt leaked...
I lost a good 3/4 inch out of that fitting too btw...you might want to check it out, see if there is ANY way that you can just screw the ****** in there...
good luck any way you fly...
Old 03-28-2003, 05:49 PM
Night_Minx

If you didnt use a 1/8 NPT (which is the wrong size/Non tapered threads OWnZ JoO) you would have been fine. What a waste. Try 1/8 BSPT next time you plan on doing it. Patience is the virtue of the wise.

People use 1/8 NPT all the time and claim its "cool" apparently not this time, a $8 1/8thBSPT to 1/8NPT autometer adapter would have saved you.

wanna sell an Intercooler?
Old 03-28-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to hear man. that just sucks. id be interested in the dump tube if its a good price. let us know how things go man. good luck!

krazy
Old 03-28-2003, 06:07 PM

well, i basically bought an stainless steel oil line kit from viren (b18bturbo). but yeah, i knew i was gonna be knee deep of headaches from this install. oil leaks. rouigh idle. wrong connections. but damn, the block chipping off like that still doesnt seem real. but yeah, the crack/chip was basically the top half of the threading. like if u look at it straight up, only the bottom half of the threading is left. i would love to have pics for u guys but i didnt have a digicam with me.

worse part was seeing my car being backed on a tow truck. seeing the intercooler like that..ahhhhh.. i need a corona!
Old 03-28-2003, 06:11 PM

Lots of JB weld and GE oil feed kit will fix all your problems
Old 03-28-2003, 06:17 PM

My advice:

Find friends that aren't dumbasses that will thread fittings in your block "HELLA HELLA TIGHT"

it doesen't need to be that tight. shoot, hand tight with 1/4 to 3/4 turn with a wrench probably wouldn't leak.

Good luck with your problems, hopefully you can make it work without needing a new block.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:20 PM

dude weld that hole up and ******* retap in a different spot... you gota be kidding me that block is not toast!
Old 03-28-2003, 06:23 PM
New User

Any way you could just weld that hole shut and then use the GE oil kit? Sorry that happened, I hate it when stupid little things like that happen that FUBAR everything!
Old 03-28-2003, 06:29 PM

i do not think u can weld that thing. everyone who saw the engine in person since last night told me its done and i need a new block. and these are all from mechanics. not mechanics who want to make money off me. but friends dads and friends of them.

jb weld? oh yeah, lesson 2 of turbo install. ANYTIME u can avoid using jb weld, do it! i followed the mixing directions with the mixture of plastic and metal for tapping my oil pan. let it dry 15 hrs like it said. the oil return line went on it fine. when i tried tightening it, the jb weld snapped and oil started coming out.

im sure jb weld worked for many people but in my personal opinion, and in the opinion of my friends dad, its just "mickey mouse ****".

[Modified by Tru Dynamix, 9:58 AM 3/29/2003]
Old 03-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Night_Minx

Get some JB Weld and plop some on there. Let it sit for 24 hours, and as long as the oil passage it clear. You will make it. But dont plan ever getting it off.

Think about it. Its either a new block or some JB weld. id say worth a F'n shot.

[Modified by Night_Minx, 4:18 AM 3/29/2003]
Old 03-28-2003, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you are giving up way too easily. suck it up and weld a plate, jb weld it back. figure a way to mount the oil press sensor and use the ge ls vtec thing. you will be boosting. it is stupid to quit now, dont, youll regret it worse than you do now. guranteed.
good luck.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:45 PM

dude dont quit now honestly.. you are too close. obstacles only make success sweeter.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Better than steak

A chunk of yoru block came out or the fitting cracked inside the block itself.? Do you have a pic?
Old 03-28-2003, 08:54 PM

Man don't worry its not that bad. There is deff a way to seal the block up and use an adapter like GEM's for the feed line and sensor. Don't give up now you haven't even roasted a corvette yet. Get us a pic posted.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah dude, don't give up. that's a small bump in the road compared to some other stuff that could've happened. get it welded and retapped or blocked off and make another hole or something. you've come so far, why quit in the last 400m of the marathon?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:12 PM

what they said. DON'T give up! plug that hole. slip a screw/bolt in the hole and weld it up to seal it. use oil filter sandwich adapter for oil feed source. you are not fucked yet.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what they said. DON'T give up! plug that hole. slip a screw/bolt in the hole and weld it up to seal it. use oil filter sandwich adapter for oil feed source. you are not fucked yet.
Bingo.

Plug that hole up and use the GE adapter.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER turbo install nightmare. it's all over. im F*cking out of this game for good!