Notices

Another SOHC head lifting thread! Yay! I know you are excited! How much time do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another SOHC head lifting thread! Yay! I know you are excited! How much time do I have? (EJ1 wil

Like some have already said, i woulndn't emediatly assume its a head gasket... although it could be. I don't think a compression test will tell you much in this situation b/c it probably only "lifting" or leaking when boosted, hence the small amount of resivor filling or overflowing.

ive had this happen to me twice! first time was my fault for reusing head bolts, second time i used a crappy tourque wrench @ 65lbs. After 3rd time is was a charm, i used a crappy torque wrench @ 75lbs and everything has been ******* dandy, except for that my turbo ingested a rock or forgien matter, but thats another story.

p.s. if it is the problem then it will progressively get worse, and as long as you check frequent enough to make sure that there is enough coolant in the radiator you should be fine.

best way to test, take it out for a couple of hard pulls then recheck the resivor for filling or overflow.

have fun
Old 04-12-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what is your timing at? Some head lifting issues go away with less timing, atleast BBKA said so... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually TurbodCX is the one that was saying that, I was just repeating what he said. I actually did test that theory out though and backed my timing down 2 degrees in the last 3 boost columns before I went to the track (total timing is at 17*). I didn't have any coolant overflow problems and for a while my car had a really bad spiking/creeping issue and I would see 14-15psi all the time. I drove it on the street for a little while like this too without problems. I do have ARP head studs now though. So backing my timing down and getting ARP's torquing them to 65 ft/lbs with the arp lube seemed to have fix my problems.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually TurbodCX is the one that was saying that, I was just repeating what he said. I actually did test that theory out though and backed my timing down 2 degrees in the last 3 boost columns before I went to the track (total timing is at 17*). I didn't have any coolant overflow problems and for a while my car had a really bad spiking/creeping issue and I would see 14-15psi all the time. I drove it on the street for a little while like this too without problems. I do have ARP head studs now though. So backing my timing down and getting ARP's torquing them to 65 ft/lbs with the arp lube seemed to have fix my problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now we all say so, because you backed it up.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: (93turbo16)

Bailhatch tuned my car. I dont remember exactly what i was running for timing when i first put the to4e on but i blew the headgasket. He reduced the timing to 14.5 like he said and no problems since and i beat this motor hard every day. My compression is about 10.5:1 or so right now until i can swap blocks but i have to agree that it seems like its a tuning issue not the shifting of the block from what me and bailhatch have done. The headgasket blew the first time within a week but it hasnt blown now in almost 2 months.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:57 PM

welcome to the world of d series boosting

heres how i checked my HG
did a few solid full boost pulls
pull over and pull the plugs
look into the motor with a flashlight and see if all the pistons look the same
chances are one will be cleaner then another due to the HG leaking water

for me the #1 cylinder was still kinda wet and clean where as all the other ones were normal carbon
right there i knew the HG was shot

Old 04-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">welcome to the world of d series boosting

heres how i checked my HG
did a few solid full boost pulls
pull over and pull the plugs
look into the motor with a flashlight and see if all the pistons look the same
chances are one will be cleaner then another due to the HG leaking water

for me the #1 cylinder was still kinda wet and clean where as all the other ones were normal carbon
right there i knew the HG was shot</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's a good idea
Old 04-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another SOHC head lifting thread! Yay! I know you are excited! How much time do I have? (EJ1 wil

**Update!**

Looks like I had three days from the start of this thread!

I was driving home from work today and started to smell coolant... uh oh... then my temp needle shot up! Oh ****!

So, I pulled over and there was coolant all over the damn place...

I let it cool off, filled up the radiator with water, put the cap back on, and drove home...

It seemed to be driving fine on the way home but I'm pretty sure it's time to pull the head, I don't want to cause any damage if I haven't already...

So, I will be pulling the head tonight so I can take it to work with me tomorow to get resurfaced... I will also pick up a new head gasket, IM gasket, some ARPs and do and all the necessary fluids I will need...

I knew it had to happen some time...

Time to learn how to replace a head gasket!
Old 04-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**Update!**

Looks like I had three days from the start of this thread!

I was driving home from work today and started to smell coolant... uh oh... then my temp needle shot up! Oh ****!

So, I pulled over and there was coolant all over the damn place...

I let it cool off, filled up the radiator with water, put the cap back on, and drove home...

It seemed to be driving fine on the way home but I'm pretty sure it's time to pull the head, I don't want to cause any damage if I haven't already...

So, I will be pulling the head tonight so I can take it to work with me tomorow to get resurfaced... I will also pick up a new head gasket, IM gasket, some ARPs and do and all the necessary fluids I will need...

I knew it had to happen some time...

Time to learn how to replace a head gasket! </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha man Been through that situation before. Check to see if there's coolant in the oil. It'll be milky. But anyways, headgasket's cake. It's pretty easy to do. First start-ups kinda scary though haha.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that sucks man. Good luck with getting it back up and running.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so check this out...

First of all, when I overheated on the highway somehow my radiator cap was missing! I don't know what happened to it!

I get home and start to drain the fluids, the coolant looks fine, the oil looks fine... WTF???

I call up one of my friends who is in automotive school and he says if the coolant and oil aren't milky at all then I probably don't have a problem...

I guess the radiator cap was bad and blew off or something? Or maybe I hadn't tightened it down all the way...

If the radiator cap somehow worked its way off then the coolant would boil its way out of the radiator causing me to over heat right? I think that's what happened...

I am going to get a new radiator cap, fill up the car with some fresh oil and coolant, and see if that does the trick...

I really don't want to tear into this thing if I'm not sure it's the head gasket, and the fluids are fine... the oil is black and not milky...

What do you think? Should I put fresh fluids in and a new radiator cap to see if it does the trick? Or, should I go ahead and replace the head gasket and head studs now because I will have to do that in the future anyways?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:12 PM
mike93eh

does your fan come on?
hows your thermostat?
bleed all the air out of the coolant system.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i would replace the caps and fluids first just to make sure. Oh and I have blown my headgasket 4 times and never once seen a milky mix of oil and coolant. Usually when it happens on our sohcs its always a small leak.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-15-2005, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take it to a professional tuner. No flame intended.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah im gonna be a hater on the head lifting. Ive owned too many sohc/dohc d-series and have yet to have any head gasket problems. 18-20psi daily on pump gas beat on it all the time no problems here. Even on stock blocks 10-12psi with stock reused honda headstuds....no problems.

If the head is flat, the block is flat, you use a new headgasket, have everything torqued down correctly, and have the tuning correct, i dont think you are gonna have a problem. If you blow a headgasket - something isnt right.

liam
Old 04-15-2005, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think my problem comes from me probably not having a straight block surface. Thats why i put a new block in now. I have always ran way conservative timing and still had problems.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm so f-ing indecisive about this!

Anyways, I just bought some ARP head studs, Beck/Arnley head and intake manifold gaskets, and some fresh coolant, oil, and a new oil filter...

I'm just going to change that bitch out anyways. I'm tired of wondering if it is or if it isn't my head gasket... the parts only cost me $120 so I might as well...
Old 04-15-2005, 09:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i would replace the caps and fluids first just to make sure. Oh and I have blown my headgasket 4 times and never once seen a milky mix of oil and coolant. Usually when it happens on our sohcs its always a small leak. </TD></TR></TABLE>

same here
my HG was shot and i had no signs in the coolant, oil or milk shake under the oil cap/valve cover
Old 04-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm so f-ing indecisive about this!

Anyways, I just bought some ARP head studs, Beck/Arnley head and intake manifold gaskets, and some fresh coolant, oil, and a new oil filter...

I'm just going to change that bitch out anyways. I'm tired of wondering if it is or if it isn't my head gasket... the parts only cost me $120 so I might as well... </TD></TR></TABLE>
yea you might as well since you have the studs now.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well...

I last night I took the head off! I have never done this before and I didn't have anyone there to help me so it took me about 3.5 hours to get the head off and ready for the machine shop...

I am going to take the head to the machine shop this morning and then try to get it back together this afternoon, although, I don't think I will finish until tomorrow some time...

Is there a way to tell if the head is flat without taking it to the machine shop? Or, should I have it resurfaced anyways just to be safe?

Here are some pics I took last night while working on the car...

Here's the box of stuff I bought for the install...

About an hour and a half later... I have most of the hoses and stuff disconnected from the IM. I'm wondering if the girl I bought the car from ever changed her oil!

A little while after that I was able to get the head off...

I accidentally ripped the heater hose! I will have to pick another one up today, no biggie...

Here are a few shots of the pistons... do they look alright? They look good to me, but I'm no mechanic...

Then I took the IM off the head and took the head apart so I can take it to the machine shop...

Another question... I pulled the head off by just slipping the timing belt off the cam gear... how do I loosen the timing belt so I can put the head back on? My manual said there was a tension bolt or something but I couldn't find it...
Old 04-16-2005, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To check the deck surface you can use a straight edge and a feeler gauge. I'm not sure what the exact thickness of the gauge is suppost to be. You'll have to check the helms.

Also For the timing belt tensioner there is a 14mm bolt down on the lower timing belt cover. It should be covered up by a round black plastic cover. Pop that cover off with a screw driver and loosen the bolt up. Then Stick a screwdriver down into the lower timing belt cover and push on the little lever that has a spring attached to it. While that is pushed down the tension will be relieved on the belt.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:53 PM
mike93eh

wow you did that the hard way. i just unbolt the im and exhaust and push them back then pull the head up and out. i also zip tie the timing belt back so it doesnt accidently become a tooth off or come off a sprocket. should of used a oem headgasket also. and remember to use lots of arp moly lube on all the studs washers and nuts and three step torque them to 64 lbs.
btw i can change a headgasket from start to finish in about 2.5 hours.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: (mike93eh)

good job on your first HG install, even though you did it the hard way. haha...
Thats the one thing i love about doing a head gasket on a D block, You don't have to **** with the valve train.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (evosol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by evosol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good job on your first HG install, even though you did it the hard way. haha...
Thats the one thing i love about doing a head gasket on a D block, You don't have to **** with the valve train.</TD></TR></TABLE>
you do if you have to get the head resurfaced
Old 04-16-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

oh yeah huh... good point. i guess ive been pretty lucky then... i never resurfaced my head the 3 times i had to tear a head off my D. I'm not gonna try to push my luck next time though...

Quick Reply: Another SOHC head lifting thread! Yay! I know you are excited! How much time do I have?