Notices

Another LS - GSR thread..

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another LS - GSR thread..

Alright, I am torn between deciding what to buy.

An LS motor or a GSR motor. I favor the LS motor simply because
of its cost, and the the low compression. but on the other hand the GSR motor would make more power in the long run..

With what money I have now, I would either be able to buy and swap the GSR motor. Or buy a LS motor and turbo setup all together.

What would you do? & Why would you do it? Im looking for some serious advice here, I am finally going to fork over all of my saved up $$

Edit: With either motor, I am going to boost.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another LS - GSR thread.. (hatchback)

Man.........
here we go again
You have been here long enough to know not to post this. Seriously everyone has posted what they thought in the last 3 "ls or gsr" threads.
I have a turbo LS, its funy makes lots of torque, 10:1 compression, yada yada. PARTS ARE CHEAP FOR IT. and its fun. So I dont know, I have never riden in a turbo GSR motor'd car. im sure its just as fast if not faster becasue of the flow charicteristics of the head. All I know is that LS stuff is cheap and its fun. Heck i have an extra LS block laying around just incase......

Rob
Old 09-21-2003, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another LS - GSR thread.. (rjardy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rjardy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man.........
here we go again
You have been here long enough to know not to post this. Seriously everyone has posted what they thought in the last 3 "ls or gsr" threads.
I have a turbo LS, its funy makes lots of torque, 10:1 compression, yada yada. PARTS ARE CHEAP FOR IT. and its fun. So I dont know, I have never riden in a turbo GSR motor'd car. im sure its just as fast if not faster becasue of the flow charicteristics of the head. All I know is that LS stuff is cheap and its fun. Heck i have an extra LS block laying around just incase......
Rob</TD></TR></TABLE>

Search, ya 2000+ post n00b I've got a turbo LS and I love it... I would love a turbo GSR as well. For me, it was a matter of having an LS already and boosting the stock motor. I don't want plan on ever swapping in a B18C1, I'm going to build another LS and just up the boost. Do what fits your budget... I still can't believe you made this post
Old 09-21-2003, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Another LS - GSR thread.. (mskibbz-T)

Well I have searched several times, I posted this because I am about to pull the trigger and pick my motor. Its a big thing in my life right now because its all of the money I have saved for ever!

I just wanted some more advice..

Get over it!

If you are going to post "SERCH nEWWb" then dont post at all. If you are willing to give me advice, then go ahead and post.

Old 09-21-2003, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It comes down to how much money you want to spend man. If you have the money for the GSR motor, then get it. It will make more power overall and is more fun to drive. IF you dont' have the money, the LS motor is a great option to boost.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Another LS - GSR thread.. (R6Elmo)

Ls/vtec
Old 09-21-2003, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

personally, if you can get the ls and turbo that right away, thats what i would do simply b/c i am power hungry. sure in the long run the gsr would be faster, but what kind of power do you want? you got people running major power on ls's, (ei, cheezefrog) the b18b have lots of potential as well, and in the end, if you ever need more power, just drop like another 2g's to bulletproof the ls block and then you can just turn up the boost.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls/turbo will be way more fun.plus,you could add a vtec head down the road
Old 09-21-2003, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Another LS - GSR thread.. (-iLLuZioN-B18C1)

I think it boils down to how much power you want to make. I went from a b20vtec turbo gsr(tranny) to my current ls turbo, and honestly I don't miss the vtec so much but mostly the gsr tranny and the quick spool. If you are patient enough then get the gsr motor and then save for turbo kit, if you are ready for boost now, then get the ls and turbo...... Although i miss my old setup, i am not at all disapointed at where i am now .
Old 09-21-2003, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Another LS - GSR thread.. (turbotypeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ls/turbo will be way more fun.plus,you could add a vtec head down the road </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly just do the LS build the bottome end and in the future buy a Vtec head it's gonna be cheaper for now and you can get the turbo set right away..........
Old 09-21-2003, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've had the following set ups in my hatch and all were turbo. every motor had stock internals. 255 pump, V-AFC, FMU & RC 310's. none of the motors were dyno tuned.

MOTOR w/TRANNY:

Ls w/Ls (ran best with stock Ls ecu but rev limit was too low. the long Ls gears helped out a lot. felt sweet but i needed more HP. 10lbs was nice but 15lbs was GREAT. cracked a sleeve at 15lbs)

Ls w/B16 (more felt good but gears were too short and rev limit was too low with P75. i had to launch in second gear becuz the motor would shoot straight to the rev limit in first gear. stock Ls ecu)

B16 w/B16 (chipped ecu w/9k redline. i love B16's becuz you can rev the **** out of them in stock form. car felt good but gears were too short for Turbo/Highway driving)

B16 w/Ls (car didn't feel as good becuz the B16 didn't make much torque and the turbo would take forever to spool. the gears runined it for me)

B16 w/GSR (best tranny i had on the B16 motor)

GSR w/GSR (my boy has this set up and it is fast than my car. i'm sure it's a blast to drive on a daily basis)

get the GSR motor and tranny. forget all that crap about long Ls gears unless you want a crusing car. the GSR tranny is well rounded for 1/4 mile and daily driving. i have no complaints.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Killer_B)

[QUOTE=Killer_B]i've had the following set ups in my hatch and all were turbo. every motor had stock internals. 255 pump, V-AFC, FMU & RC 310's. none of the motors were dyno tuned.

MOTOR w/TRANNY:

Ls w/B16 (more felt good but gears were too short and rev limit was too low with P75. i had to launch in second gear becuz the motor would shoot straight to the rev limit in first gear. stock Ls ecu)

QUOTE]

you obviously haven't driven an LS w/quaiffe gsr tranny. it kicks major ***. although i have to admit as well...even with the gsr tranny, my redline is too short and from 1st-2nd-3rd take about 2 seconds.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:39 PM

GSR B18C and lowering the compression + GSR tranny
Old 09-21-2003, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Another LS - GSR thread.. (mamaboy)

Now here are the replies that I wanted.

I think that so far my decision is on the LS motor, favoring the cost and the potential.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I favor the LS simply because its very easy and cheap to find a block when things go bad
Old 09-22-2003, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Another LS - GSR thread.. (StyleTEG)

I think this breaks down to the age old $$ vs. performance. "speed costs money, how fast do you wanna go" In your situation, i would go for the ls w/ turbo. you can eventually build the head/block, etc. to handle more boost or higher rpm's. or leave it stock, have fun with it, if it blows up on ya, buy another b18. It's kinda like the guyz that like to play with the D16 engine. decent performance and cheap enuff to replace if disaster strikes. i have seen d16 engines with 9lbs of boost absolutely kill a b18 c swap. I'd reckon the b18 would do even better than that with boost. 9lbs of boost vs. n/a is not a fair comparison, but hey, it costs about the same and speed is speed. disaster scenarios on a b18C1 swap with turbo is a very expensive one. But if you gotta have the best, and $$ is not a huge concern, go with the B18C1 swap. I'd go with the b18 swap with turbo for now. hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Another LS - GSR thread.. (95stangkillah)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95stangkillah &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think this breaks down to the age old $$ vs. performance. "speed costs money, how fast do you wanna go" In your situation, i would go for the ls w/ turbo. you can eventually build the head/block, etc. to handle more boost or higher rpm's. or leave it stock, have fun with it, if it blows up on ya, buy another b18. It's kinda like the guyz that like to play with the D16 engine. decent performance and cheap enuff to replace if disaster strikes. i have seen d16 engines with 9lbs of boost absolutely kill a b18 c swap. I'd reckon the b18 would do even better than that with boost. 9lbs of boost vs. n/a is not a fair comparison, but hey, it costs about the same and speed is speed. disaster scenarios on a b18C1 swap with turbo is a very expensive one. But if you gotta have the best, and $$ is not a huge concern, go with the B18C1 swap. I'd go with the b18 swap with turbo for now. hope this helps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah it helps a lot. I was thinking about all of these things before making my deciscion. Thanks.

Now I hope IAS has a LS motor available. I have been calling for a while and they havent had any in stock.

Thanks again people.