Notices

ANOTHER GENIUS IDEA!!!!! by me...! Intercooler...(Custom)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER GENIUS IDEA!!!!! by me...! Intercooler...(Custom)

Ok.... Fist of all.... I'll start this off by saying I hate people that steal ****.

This is one of my main concerns with my Si, and personally I don't want anyone to know what is under my hood. BUT!!!! I'm going to turbo charge my car, and I want to make at least 350whp..... but im shooting for 400whp.

Now.... Everyone knows what a SMIC is and a FMIC is... the down side to SMIC is there not big enough... and FMIC need custom work done to the bumper to fit, and alot of cutting is needed... but they make the most power.

the up side to SMIC is they are hidden... so nobody can see it..... here is where my idea comes in...

::IDEA::

Since I'm going for the stealthy look, and I don't want anyone to know its turbocharged, and since im taking my A/C out.... would it be possible to fit an intercooler where the A/C currently is.

I tried to search around and find something like this, but no go... and it would be cool to see how much power it could actual make, while still keeping it hidden from the untrained eye.

Maybe an induction tube to flow more air to it, since it will be inside the engine bay instead outside the frame.

anyone think this is a good idea??? or am I just retarded?

I can call it a BMIC.... Bay Mount Intercooler
Old 02-24-2004, 12:06 PM

Default Re: ANOTHER GENIUS IDEA!!!!! by me...! Intercooler...(Custom) (Irishweird00)

Ive played around with it, doesnt work too well.

I even had a small *** volvo intercooler.

Just paint your intercooler black, if done right no one will know its there.

*NOT MY CAR* mine is almost done and will not have the piping sticking out on the left, but you get the idea.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Banned

Default Re: ANOTHER GENIUS IDEA!!!!! by me...! Intercooler...(Custom) (envision2teg)

Well, thats not exactly what I had in mind... I'll prolly end up doing this... but just for ***** and giggles I just wanted to know if anyone actually :Designed: an intercooler for this... using a factory intercooler would throw my 400whp goal out the window..
Old 02-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ANOTHER GENIUS IDEA!!!!! by me...! Intercooler...(Custom) (envision2teg)

paint it black and if you want put grill there
a guy i know has his painted black and some grill. I couldnt tell it was turbo till I heard the Tial blow off valve
Old 02-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Banned

Default Re: ANOTHER GENIUS IDEA!!!!! by me...! Intercooler...(Custom) (redturbocivic)

Well, Again.... this idea is for simplicity, and ease of installation, as well as security.... not to mention I live in NY... and every other thing on the road seems to hit my car... don't like giant pebbles going through $500 intercoolers... not my cup of tea..
Old 02-24-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Re: ANOTHER GENIUS IDEA!!!!! by me...! Intercooler...(Custom) (Irishweird00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Irishweird00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, thats not exactly what I had in mind... I'll prolly end up doing this... but just for ***** and giggles I just wanted to know if anyone actually :Designed: an intercooler for this... using a factory intercooler would throw my 400whp goal out the window.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So you just prooved your own point.... nothing that will get you into the 350 hp ragnge will fit on your car very easy, let alone inside the engine bay

most people running 350-400 hp probaby dont have a bumper support.

you would end up having to move a lot of ish. Not worth it in the end, just paint it.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Banned

ugh... thats why it says (CUSTOM) in the title...
Old 02-24-2004, 12:22 PM

ok your being ignorat, i can read the title....

your idea.... not going to work if you want to run that much hp
Old 02-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Banned

Anyone else?
Old 02-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about a thin intercooler in the shape of a condenser in place of the AC condenser? Painted black it wouldn't stand out at all. Actually on Integras where the condenser is parallel to the radiator and sits in front of it, there is 3 or 4 inches of clearance between the condenser and the bumper support. So you theoretically make it thicker than the condenser would be. Which would be nessecary to flow any serious amount of air. The intercooler pipes could access the end tanks from the sides where the AC lines and PS cooler lines are anyways, come cutting of the metal shell would be nessecary to fit 2.25" piping but it could be done!

Pic of my condensor and bumper. Just replace the condensor with a extra tall intercooler. It would work and be totally discret.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if you can get it to work...i dont see it being very effecient. plus your goal is 350-400 whp....thats no joke. Here is an idea for you. why not run an air to water cooler? it will support you goals and no one will know your turbo. Your making it more complicated than it has to be. you dont even need to have the reservoir in the car...you can hide it in the wheel well. SIRKID i thijk has this set up.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:37 PM
Banned

Default Re: ANOTHER GENIUS IDEA!!!!! by me...! Intercooler...(Custom) (Muckman)

thank you.... that was my point...

This is daily driven... not to sure about air-water applications.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

racerxadam i think has an intercoolr that sits in the bay of his engine
Old 02-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Banned

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

I'm going to have to talk to someone that works with intercoolers, and knows the actual dynamics into making and supporting horsepower.... but I think it would be just as efficient as a front mount... If you have a induction that flows to it.. to feed it more air......
Old 02-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Irishweird00)

no one said it wouldnt work....getting an IC fabed would be no problem....but how are the piping going to run?
Old 02-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Banned

Default Re: (Cramerox)

Well im sure piping isnt a problem, depending on the actual room in the bay when the intercooler is in there.... im sure you can run the piping anyway you want. Generally there would be alot less piping.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dodge did this design for a few years back in the 80's... The intercooler was mounted with 1 end tank on top, and 1 on the bottom, vertically... On the dodge's, they are good for approximately 200-250whp I believe...
Old 02-24-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Re: (ScrapinSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScrapinSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dodge did this design for a few years back in the 80's... The intercooler was mounted with 1 end tank on top, and 1 on the bottom, vertically... On the dodge's, they are good for approximately 200-250whp I believe... </TD></TR></TABLE>

They still do it. Thats the way it's mounted on their cummins turbo diesel. It looks just like a radiator.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Banned

Default Re: (b16ahybrid)

if a stock one can handle 250... you don't think a custom one can support at least 350-400...?

bump before I go to class
Old 02-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just because an intercooler is custom doesnt mean that it will support more HP than a factory intercooler. It all depends on what type and size core is used. So just saying you are going to go custom doesnt mean ****, you need to do some research and see what minimum size core will support the numbers you want to make then see if that will fit in the space you have.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ANOTHER GENIUS IDEA!!!!! by me...! Intercooler...(Custom) (Cramerox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cramerox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if you can get it to work...i dont see it being very effecient. plus your goal is 350-400 whp....thats no joke. Here is an idea for you. why not run an air to water cooler? it will support you goals and no one will know your turbo. Your making it more complicated than it has to be. you dont even need to have the reservoir in the car...you can hide it in the wheel well. SIRKID i thijk has this set up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

for this idea. Air-to-Water intercoolers cool the air even when your car isn't moving. Heck, it'll probably take at least the first 300 feet of the quarter mile to cool down your intercooler after all the hot air from the turbo feeds through it while you sit idling waiting for the green light.

Air-To-Water support more horse when compared to an air-to-air of the same size. ALWAYS use distilled water or distilled ice. Which brings up another subject, if you get the right setup (which doesn't cost much more, maybe $75) then you can run ice-water. That'll get your air nice and frosty.

A bad point about Air-To-Water is heat soak. That is where the water is heated to the point where it cannot take any more heat out of the incoming air. But that doesn't happen unless you either take long trips, or it's 110 degrees outside.

So on long trips take a cooler with some fresh water and ice or on hot days throw some new distilled water in there. Not really daily driver friendly, but if your planning on 400 whp your not looking for a real daily driver friendly type of ride.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:02 PM

Default Re: ANOTHER GENIUS IDEA!!!!! by me...! Intercooler...(Custom) (ThePro)

Saab 9000 intercooler. Thing's the same size as a radiator and mounts in the same place, like you are trying to get at.

link

What I don't understand is the references to 400 WHp and daily driven. Lord. My Camaro barely makes 330 horsepower (with an engine more than 3 times as large as yours) and the only time I dare drive it is on way to the track.

Is there anyone that makes that much power with a Honda on a daily driven car? You should be breaking into high 10's with that power/weight ratio, an ability which is far from safe, especially with a FWD car on the street.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: ANOTHER GENIUS IDEA!!!!! by me...! Intercooler...(Custom) (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is there anyone that makes that much power with a Honda on a daily driven car? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=772816
Old 02-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Irishweird00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok.... Fist of all.... I'll start this off by saying I hate people that steal ****.

::IDEA::

anyone think this is a good idea??? or am I just retarded?

I can call it a BMIC.... Bay Mount Intercooler </TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought of this idea after seeing this custom precision ic that someone posted up for a neon on here a couple months back. It really didn't seem worth it to me. The ic would end up closer to ur exhaust, bitch to make custom mounts, etc... I can see if i can find the thread for you and maybe you can make it work for u.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Banned

Default Re: ANOTHER GENIUS IDEA!!!!! by me...! Intercooler...(Custom) (beepy)

I know.. I know... the reason I say 400 Is not because I plan to run that much power on the street... this is going to be a daily driver... so of course I'm not going to be pushing 400whp everyday.... that is for track use only, and I would like the intercooler to support that much power, when i need it...

Ill be at low boost most of the time, so it will be under 300whp daily.

I know just because its custom doesnt mean it will support that much power... what i meant was using a bigger more efficent core size... ect ect...

and as far as mounting it... I think it would be a hole lot easier to mount this thing, than a FMIC.... no need to tear appart your bumper, front support ect... just weld aluminum mounts to the stock ac bracket locations.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER GENIUS IDEA!!!!! by me...! Intercooler...(Custom)