Notices

Am i ready to start boosting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i ready to start boosting?

Hey guys. I've been on this forum for a long time as a browser, and I FINALLY have the funds to start upgrading my lowly 98 civic ex coupe. So i wanted to familiarize myself with you guys and say hi. So i have a civic std manifold with td05 turbocharger, saab intercooler, custom piping and dsm BOV. I am planning on installing this kit on my civic within the week. I must say I almost more nervous than excited as this is my daily driver, and a blown motor would not be beneficial to me at all! So i am planning on taking my car down to my mechanic tomorrow to have a compression check done, what kind of numbers should i be looking for before i start boosting? I was also thinking of changing plugs and was wondering what gap to run? I have a downpipe for this setup(2.5") but don't have the dough to get a nice exhaust at the moment. Is it cool to run open dp, or can I just have a muffler shop weld up a straight pipe exiting out the side in front of the rear wheel to help get the hot gas out from under the car? Oh, i was also going to run a rising rate fmu of some sort before i get hondata, and was wondering if you guys had some suggestions on what i could use, and how i set it up for the first run down the street.. It would be great to get a lot of different peoples opinions on if this setup is going to be safe, so feel free to post criticism, suggestions etc. Thanks for the help mates.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Am i ready to start boosting? (Pokey)

if i were you i wouldnt try boosting without some good engine managment. since u dont want to blow your motor, i personally wouldnt run a fmu. if what u listed is all you have then u still need to buy some more parts.

as for the exhaust....thats how im currently running, exhaust goes up to about where the old resonator ends and turns out to the side. this is only temporary. i have a cat and a resonator and the car is still really loud. sounds really good though (deep).

oh and u WILL run into problems. make sure u have some extra money just in case. all the small parts u dont even think about really add up.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Am i ready to start boosting? (PLRacer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PLRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i were you i wouldnt try boosting without some good engine managment. since u dont want to blow your motor, i personally wouldnt run a fmu.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can't stress that enough if you don't want a blown engine. Look into Uberdata...very cheap and does the same as Hondata (let's not start a thread about what I just said).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PLRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
oh and u WILL run into problems. make sure u have some extra money just in case. all the small parts u dont even think about really add up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No doubt! I've probably spent over $150 in random parts like nuts/bolts/flanges/etc...actually it's probably over $200.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Am i ready to start boosting? (adseguy)

Engine management is key! As the others have said, look into Uberdata. I have been running UD for about 2 months with nothing but good praises. Oh yeah, RTP is coming really soon. Craig Moates has been working with us (emulator) and Blake has just scripted a little bit into the latest UD release. w00t!!!

http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/

Old 10-15-2004, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Am i ready to start boosting? (DA9-T)

Even at low boost numbers you think fmus are unsafe?