Notices

AllState insurance Claim gone Wrong- on turbocharged integra will extra insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AllState insurance Claim gone Wrong- on turbocharged integra will extra insurance

I don't know if I should be posting this here....

i have built up an integra over the years to be fun, fast, and basically my baby.

It was involved in a attempted theft, but thatnks to several measures, they couldn't get it started. They ended up taking as much as they could and even took the alarm, lojack, ecu, and all the other gadgets that they could.

Allstate is a bunch of theiving, fraudelent, con artists.

Please learn from my suffering!!!!

If you think you have coverage on anything on your car- whether it's a cold air intake or a fully built car- call your agent today, get them to put in writing on an official letter head stating that every part that you would want covered is listed and make sure that there aren't any exclusions- and have that written in the letter. Don't get screwed like I did!!!!

Here's a post I put on another board:

I suffered an attempted theft with my vehicle on 9/27/2007

I have a stated value insurance rider, covering my acura integra for up to $30,000 incase of a total loss. This coverage costs me about $100 extra per month to have everything on the vehicle covered.

First, Allstate immediately denied coverage. So I contested.

Second, the did a insurance fraud investigation that lasted until 1/22/2008, when they found that NO insurance fruad is being commited. They ran my credit reports, demanded all bank, retirement, and every financial statement, every cell phone record, and receipts of all the missing parts. I gave them everything they asked for.

Third, I got a certified letter in the mail today saying that they aren't going to cover me because:

Allstate, says that "these coverages do not apply to (14) loss to any custom parts or equipment designed for racing which is installed in or upon your insured vehicle. This includes, but is not limited to nitrous oxide systems, roll cages, and air intake modifications."

Basically, any and every part that isn't factory is getting denied.

I'm filing a complaint with the State insurance commisioner- as follows:

I have been paying about $100 extra per month for the last four years for extra coverage on my 1995 acura integra. The extra coverage is a blanket $30,000 stated value policy rider- I was told that it covers everything. A tree falls on my car, it's stolen, parts are stolen from it, it's in a collision.

Allstate, says that "these coverages do not apply to (14) loss to any custom parts or equipment designed for racing which is installed in or upon your insured vehicle. This includes, but is not limited to nitrous oxide systems, roll cages, and air intake modifications."

I found on September 27th, 2007 that my Acura integra had been broken into and parts were stolen. I called the police and they came out to give an incident number and collect finger prints. They got a good one on the rearview mirror. I then sat on hold for about five hours trying to get through to the claims department. Then, I filled my claim online instead of waiting on hold. I was notified by mail a couple days later that Allstate will take care of everything...

Allstate, initially said they wouldn't cover me because the parts weren't stock. Then they accused me of committing insurance fraud and took three months to investigate that. Pulling my credit, demanding bank and all financial records, telephone records, paystubs, and other personal information to make a case against me.

The investigation proved that I wasn't committing fraud. The investigator, Tim Sweeney, completed the fraud investigation 1/22/08.

I tried contacting Mathew spray through email and my replacement agent Sandra Tebow- as my agent who sold me the stated value policy , Steve Blaze, has left allstate. Sandy responded saying that claims management is going contact me shortly, that was yesterday.

Today, I got certified mail stating that they will not be able to pay for the items stolen from my car, from Danika Chestnut. I called and talked to the file manager Linda Anderson, and then talked to her supervisor Kathy Hail- both of whom stated that there was nothing that could be done to help me and that the parts stolen from my car were not covered. I asked to speak with their supervisor and got a hold of Rob Arnold. Rob was the first person who was nice to me and listened.

My former agent, Steve Blaze, who signed me up for a $30,000 stated value rider policy came into my place of work, and I mentioned to him that Allstate was still investigating the loss and saying I wasn't covered and that he knew nothing about the aftermarket parts on my car. He said that he knew about everything and that he would call my current agent (Sandy Tebow) that he transfered my policy to manage, when he left allstate.

Rob said the investigation said they had statements from Sandy and Steve saying that they knew nothing about the parts on my car. I know sandy didn't, as my file was just transfered to her from Steve. I asked Rob why I would pay an extra $100 a month for the last four years for coverage of nothing? He said he couldn't explain it and that he needed to talk to Steve Blaze about what he told me was covered. He said that he should be able to get back to me on monday.

Hopefully, we will be able to resolve this.

Thank you,

James
Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AllState insurance Claim gone Wrong- on turbocharged integra will extra insurance (Sleeper in Se

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's the update!

I had escalated everything to a supervisor and here's his response:

"James, I was finally able to reach Steve Blaze last night and discuss this situation with him. He said that everything he discussed with you regarding your stated value policy was part of the policy and that his recollection is that you understood what was in the policy. He said the stated value policy is what it is and he never added anything to it verbally. He said he was aware you had aftermarket equipment on your vehicle, but he insists he never told you that Allstate would pay for anything not covered by the auto policy. The stated value policy had nothing to do with any extra or racing parts you added to your car. He denies telling you that the stated value policy would cover racing type parts. He said you signed the paperwork for the policy and that the policy speaks for itself.

At this point, it is Allstate's position that our disclaimer of coverage is correct, and we will not pay for the stolen equipment.

Rob Arnold
Allstate Insurance"

So that's Allstate's stance....

I've submitted a complaint to the insurance commissioner's office and they have responded to my complaint and cc:ed me in a letter giving Allstate 15 days to respond plus 5 days for mailing time.

So allstate is saying that my agent misrepresented what was sold to me, and I know I specifically asked him if everything on my car would be covered. He responded by saying yes, everything would be covered as long as I could provide proof of purchase.

Can I sue my former agent?

A question that continueously goes through my head, is "Why would they even bother with a three month fraud investigation if I wasn't covered anyway?"

Another question, "Why would I insure not a single part on my car, which is what actually increases the value of my car and yet purchase a stated value policy that states the value of my car as being $30,000?

What avenues would you reccommend to take advantage of the first amendment, and let everyone know how bad AllState is?

Thanks!

Hopefully the State Insurance commissioner can do something....
Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AllState insurance Claim gone Wrong- on turbocharged integra will extra insurance (Sleeper in Se

i work for a major insurance company and im not taking sides here but it looks like they are correct assuming you signed a copy of the policy that stated somewhere in there

"these coverages do not apply to (14) loss to any custom parts or equipment designed for racing which is installed in or upon your insured vehicle. This includes, but is not limited to nitrous oxide systems, roll cages, and air intake modifications."

it dosent matter what the agent said, it matters what you signed, and by signing it you are agreeing to the terms. im sorry bro.

telling an insurance company you have ANY performance parts is a BIG no no imo. the only parts you should ever consider adding additional equipent protection to are things like stereo's, lcd monitors, nav, custom paint, wheels, custom interior. pretty much bling only. if it makes the car faster, forget about it. they will cover a 36" plasma tv mounted to the insde of a liftgate anyday of the week, but never cover a go-fast bit.

some ins companies are different but this is what i have seen for the majority of them...

with that said anybody is welcome to pm me if they have ins related questions, its important to have proper coverage and it can get complicated and twisted sometimes...
Old 02-14-2008, 01:44 AM

I once had Allstate try to sue me because their client hit ME in MY lane while traveling at 75 in a 25 while drunk. Seriously, crystal clear police reports and all! Oh, did I mention that I also had Allstate, and the guy that hit me was wealthy (Waterfront house, boat, porshe, probably all insured with ScamState), and I was 19 driving a '71 VW Beetle? Weird how that happens.....
Old 02-14-2008, 04:33 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unbelieably sucky, but a completely believable problem to have with an insurance company.

its the reason i have the cheapest insurance possible, keep the car as simple looking as possible, and just cross my fingers..

Old 02-14-2008, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleeper in Seattle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> All insurance companies are a bunch of theiving, fraudelent, con artists.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fixed it for you man. Sorry to hear about your issues, but Blinx9900 is right. Since you signed, regardless of what amount you have an additional rider for.....racing parts are not going to be covered unless you received a modified policy. I went through this years ago with them when I was looking for insurance to protect all my parts. All insurance companies pretty much flip you the bird when it comes to racing parts.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:02 AM
BCICAN

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">telling an insurance company you have ANY performance parts is a BIG no no imo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea this is the greatest catch22 of all time:
- If you are honest with the insurance company and let them know what you have they won't insure you.
- If you are lucky enough to get them to insure you and they know about the parts, they won't cover them.
- If you don't tell them and just want to insure the car as a regular Integra, then they can drop you for lying.

Insurance company are f-ing ridiculous. Basically like it's stated before do everything in your power to work through things. Alarm/GPS/etc. Pay for damages and hunt down the person who did it, and only use insurance as a last resort.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Insurance company are f-ing ridiculous. Basically like it's stated before do everything in your power to work through things. Alarm/GPS/etc. Pay for damages and hunt down the person who did it, and only use insurance as a last resort.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And don't leave your car at the club, or out in an alley, etc. Get a daily driver if you have to park somewhere where it is shady or you can't secure it better.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:26 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This just sucks to hear. I don't understand why they wont insure race parts increasing the value of the car to 30k but they will insure race bread cars like an EVO or an Sti. WTF is the difference???
Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This just sucks to hear. I don't understand why they wont insure race parts increasing the value of the car to 30k but they will insure race bread cars like an EVO or an Sti. WTF is the difference???</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are only in it to make money
Old 02-14-2008, 08:09 AM

damn that sucks, and i just got allstate 2 months ago. im gona have to go and ask about my **** on my car.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rodzknight)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rodzknight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn that sucks, and i just got allstate 2 months ago. im gona have to go and ask about my **** on my car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol.... do you really need to?? Pretty much spelled out right here for you.

To the OP: That sucks dude.....
Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rodzknight)

When I totaled my civic, State Farm was on the phone with me discussing the payout. I started asking about all my 'upgrades'. Wheels, stereo, exhaust, turbo Kit...
The phone got pretty silent, she said to me "The more mods you say you had, the lower the payout is going to be. Modifications to the vehicle lower the value." I kept my mouth shut and took the 11K (4K over blue book ) and bought the wreck back for 1K.
You are only covered, if you go to your insurance agency, show them what you have, let them take pics and get it in writing that the upgrades are covered. I was going to do this with the Integra, but it was not worth the extra money per month.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that is bullshit... it DOES matter what you signed, because he was under the impression that he was signing an agreement to have those parts covered... And it DOES matter what they told him, because to lie would be fraud...

for real.. why would they investigate a fraud if they didnt cover the parts.. I would get a lawyer... that is wrong.. next time you get insurance on something like that, you should record everything that is being said... if you would have done that, or got the contract in writing stating everything that was covered for the extra amount of money that you put in, then you would have a defense... I feel for you, bro... that **** sucks..

The big thing is, why were you paying $100 a month more, if you werent getting anything extra?? They cannot answer that.. That means they are expletiveing with you... sue them.. you will get your money... and threaten to write to papers and stuff like that.. they will pay you to shut up... and expletive em.. haha... a lawyer would probably take your case pro bono... car insurance law suits are good, because you have already been proven innocent of fraud, and they charged you 100 bucks extra for an extended service agreement, and in your case, you are in the right, and the last thing they want or need is a lawsuit and bad publicity.. I mean, what were they charging you that money for?? expletivein bastards
Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 AM
i ♥ snails

lets just ruin allstates name that could cost them lots of money over a life time.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DJYoshaBYD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJYoshaBYD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that is bullshit... it DOES matter what you signed, because he was under the impression that he was signing an agreement to have those parts covered... And it DOES matter what they told him, because to lie would be fraud...</TD></TR></TABLE>

first let me say trying to prove what he/she said is almost impossible so forget about that, second nobody cares what impression anybody is under when they sign a contract, when you sign a contract it means exactly this:

**you've read, understand, and AGREE to the terms.**

hell most of them say something like that on there. like i said im not taking sides i just want everyone to know how it really is so people who didnt know can now be informed.

TO THE OP what exactly were you trying to get them to cover anyway? you never mentioned exactly what parts were damaged or stolen, if you can please list those parts and if they were bolted down or not.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blinx9900)

for what reason would u pay an extra 100 per month for a stock teg?

If nothing else, take them to small claims to retreive ur 100 per month, because u were apparently paying that for no reason, unless they give u 30k for a total loss, but it doesnt sound like its totaled.

Atleast they couldnt get the whole car, kudos on that.Try not to leave it un attnened next time.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

next time disconnect your brake lines or pinch them off in a secret location. if someone decides to steal the car they wont get far after the crash. then you can beat the **** out of them like they deserve
Old 02-15-2008, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks!

There were some good ideas in there. I especially liked the one about the brake lines.....

pretty much, everything was bolted down except the 100cd case, event the Valentine One was hard mounted and hardwired.

Basically, they only took things that were easy to remove:

Carbon fiber NOS bottle
1000cc injectors, fuel rail, fuel lines, aeromotive regulator
Vafc
P72 with Hondata s300
Various guages
Blitz sbc-id and power-meter id
Valentine One

They got one bolt off the exhuast manifold, as I think they started trying to get the turbo and manifold.

And this really made me worry, they yanked the wires out and took the brain to my alarm and the Lojack module- I assume they were planning on coming back to get everything else or the whole car....

Physical Damage was: passenger side door and lock, ignition, ripped out wires from ecu, and the driver's side kickpanel

Looking at my list, I don't think any of the parts were actually really "racing parts", besides the NOS bottle. That's probably just me....

I can see them denying coverage on that...

Right now, I think it up to the the insurance commisioner, and I'll talk to a lawyer too...

I feel like I was raped by theives and now I am getting raped by my insurance company.....

The fraud investigator said that it would have been an easier claim if my whole car was stolen or totalled- but he said that he wasn't sure if they would cover it then either....

I say, "Down with Allstate!!!!" I hope everyone looks elsewhere for insurance, cancels and tells all their friends to cancell.

No matter who you have, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:14 AM

Gangbanged
Old 02-15-2008, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Semnos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gangbanged</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:21 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleeper in Seattle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Carbon fiber NOS bottle
1000cc injectors, fuel rail, fuel lines, aeromotive regulator
Vafc
P72 with Hondata s300
Various guages
Blitz sbc-id and power-meter id
Valentine One
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you should get money for EVERYTHING there but the NOS bottle. None of the other parts can be said "for racing use only".

Stock injectors are more then after market, just tell them they were stock. Same deal for the rail lines and regulator really)
Stock ECU is hella $$, again you should be compensated for that.
Gauges and the blitz stuff should be covered as that is basically just stuff to make sure your engine is running properly. Nothing wrong with that right?
And the V1 should MOST DEF be covered, again nothing to do with racing.

I'm really surprised there giving you such a hard time for such fuel parts. I mean I thought you lost ALLOT more then that. Turbo, IC, manifold, built motor and or trans. No THATS $$$$
Old 02-15-2008, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well you should get money for EVERYTHING there but the NOS bottle. None of the other parts can be said "for racing use only".

Stock injectors are more then after market, just tell them they were stock. Same deal for the rail lines and regulator really)
Stock ECU is hella $$, again you should be compensated for that.
Gauges and the blitz stuff should be covered as that is basically just stuff to make sure your engine is running properly. Nothing wrong with that right?
And the V1 should MOST DEF be covered, again nothing to do with racing.

I'm really surprised there giving you such a hard time for such fuel parts. I mean I thought you lost ALLOT more then that. Turbo, IC, manifold, built motor and or trans. No THATS $$$$</TD></TR></TABLE>

I totally agree!

That's what pisses me off so much!!!!

They are fighting this claim as if everything was stolen!!! There's a reason why I had the stated value policy for $30k....

I'd be out for blood if the Full-Race kit, fully built engine, suspension, and stereo were stolen. I got lucky with the thieves not getting everything, but now the thieves know and just have to come with a flatbed...

Old 02-15-2008, 04:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Why did they ask for this stuff?

my credit reports, demanded all bank, retirement, and every financial statement, every cell phone record, and receipts of all the missing parts.

I am having insurance problems with State Farm right now.

I got rear ended on the highway I was doing 20, she was doing 65.

There was 2400 in damage. Being that I owned a shop, I told the insurance company I would fix it myself as long as they compensated me.

I fixed it for 791 dollars, leaving me no profit whatsoever.

The **** then decided to send me a check for 650 dollars stating that I over charged them, even though my first estimate was 2400 from a regular shop.

I called her and she told me to **** off and hung up on me.

I dont know what to do now. Get a lawyer for 140 bucks, either way, I am out that money and now she wont take my calls.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats why you take the check for 2400. and say you are taking to the shop and then fix it yourself w/o telling them. worked for me.

Quick Reply: AllState insurance Claim gone Wrong- on turbocharged integra will extra insurance