Notices

all motor project gone wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default all motor project gone wrong.

So, my plan for a long time was to go all motor on the stock bottom end. (If i build the bottom end it's going to be for boost )----that was always my rule.

Because of a strange series of events I've ended up with a nicely built head, (milled, ported, crower valvetrain) and stock GSR cams. It's quick and pretty fun to drive. But instead of keeping on with my all motor plans I'm want to skip all the BS and boost it.

Instead of spending 500+ on cams I'm going to put some money towards making it fast for real.

problem #1 - the milled head on my JDM GSR motor leaves me with an 11.4:1 compression ratio.

problem #2 - daily driver....can't afford a lot of down time.

problem #3 - budget requires me to do this build in stages.

What would you guys recomend that I do to overcome these problems. Buy a spare block and build it? do pistons and rods in a weekend without pulling the motor? Rob a liquor store and pay a shop to do it?

I'm willing to drive around with low compression for a while as I save to boost it.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: all motor project gone wrong. (thehatchninja)

a.) save until you can do it all at once or

b.) save until you can buy a spare shortblock and build from there (shouldn't be difficult to come across)
Old 01-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Get a new head or figure out what your compression w/ low comp pistons would be.
2. Save up and do it all in one week or weekend...
3. Answered by 2....you have to save and put all of the parts into the car at once, but that doesn't mean you have to buy them all at once. Buy parts as you find good deals on them, unless you're buyin a kit from a company...then just get it whenever you can afford it.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I might be able to buy an LS block for like $50 (spun bearings)...should i do it?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
3. Answered by 2....you have to save and put all of the parts into the car at once, but that doesn't mean you have to buy them all at once. Buy parts as you find good deals on them, unless you're buyin a kit from a company...then just get it whenever you can afford it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And research the different companies that make thicker headgaskets to bring the compression down. Do that headgasket, with ARP studs, and then follow Schinster66's advice.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i already have ARP studs.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: all motor project gone wrong. (thehatchninja)

you're in the same boat i was in...my gsr is a daily driver so i cant afford the downtime.

what i did was just took the time to build an engine on the side, to minimize downtime. my car still drives great, so for the past few months i've been searching all over for deals...so far i have a type-r block and crank, and a built gsr head. all i need now is pistons and rods...plus the misc. little stuff (bearings, etc) and i'm ready to assemble it...

i'll probably just let it sit until i save enough for the turbo, then drop it in so i can break it in, then boost the motor. might drop the old b18c into an old 88 accord coupe sitting at my moms house...i dunno. i'm going with stock sleeves too...

so i say just build the motor on the side...even if u dont get another head, at least get another shortblock...it'll cost you anywhere between $200-$500 more, but it'll cut your downtime significantly. plus you'll have a spare block handy in case something goes wrong...