Notices

Are all E-cutouts like this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all E-cutouts like this?

There are 3 videos at the bottom, towards the end of the last video it shows that the cutout can be open 100% or if you choose 25% or 50%. do the other brands do this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW
Old 07-30-2006, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are all E-cutouts like this? (Boostage)

i know DMH does...i dont think i would buy an ecutout from ebay since most brands fail as it is
Old 07-30-2006, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are all E-cutouts like this? (dornon13)

DMH is like top of the line or something?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know about top of the line. I bought one with a Y tube from them and it doesn't even fit on the bolts of the Y tube.

It looks like the part was not machined correctly. I called and they said that it's the Y tube and not the cutout. However, the block off plate fits fine over the Y tube.

Never offered to send a different cutout. I was told to hammer the bolts so the cutout fit on. Which would then mean the block off plate wouldn't fit if I wanted to put it on.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Are all E-cutouts like this? (96ex)

Yea most of the electrical ones fail, some as soon as 2 days of use others last a few months.
I have a friend who has been lucky and his has lasted a year.
They also need to be mounted with lots of protection, because the motors can get knocked off, and although are made to be weatherproof they usually arn't.

My favorite is a little pricey but well worth IMO.
http://atpturbo.com/root/relea...4.htm
http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=BCS
Old 07-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are all E-cutouts like this? (dcturbols)

I never liked the ATP cutout for a couple reasons. "As soon as the turbo spools, the valve begins to open. By the time the turbo makes full boost, the valve is fully open." That is one reason why. I would much rather have a valve that opened before the turbo spooled to alow it to spool faster. They should have made it so that a certian amount of vacume was required to keep the valve shut, other wise it would open once that vacume wasn't there, example...before the turbo starts to spool.

The way it work is great tho, no motors or parts to really fail, and if the actuator would go bad you could get another for what $80? I guess you could always buy the valve and come up with your own way to make it open and close

Boostage - all of the e-cutouts I have seen open how ever much you want it to open.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are all E-cutouts like this? (80884)

80884- I actually thought about the ATP cutout and I know it cant decrease spool like a normal cutout, but it should still give plenty of power when bypassing the muffle runder boost. so the way I look at it is like this. your getting a cutout that u can actually depend on, with the only stipulation being that u dont get the quicker spool of a normal cutout.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, very true. You could say...I'll give up spooling a little faster for something that will actually last on the car." makes perfect sence to me.

I'm just one of those people that pick things apart. Other than the not opening before boost thing (and maybe the piping that comes with it) that ATP gets
Old 07-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are all E-cutouts like this? (80884)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 80884 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, very true. You could say...I'll give up spooling a little faster for something that will actually last on the car." makes perfect sence to me.

I'm just one of those people that pick things apart. Other than the not opening before boost thing (and maybe the piping that comes with it) that ATP gets </TD></TR></TABLE>

If I get that I would have the end cut off and have it rewelded into a "Y". but I wonder if you could use a much softer spring so it opens sooner?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I were to get one I would look into some type of valve that when it sees vacume it closes the valve, but as soon as you lose vacume it alows the valve to be opened by backpressure or boost. I'm not sure what the spring is that is in it or if you can change it.

You can get the valve, actuator and pipe seperately. I'd get the valve and maybe actuator if you fine with how it works and have an exhaust place make the pipe. Just tie it into the existing exhaust.

*edit* How would an actuator without a spring work? Wouldn't the vacume then keep it shut but have nothing to keep it shut once vacume is lost? If backpressure didn't open the valve then boost would. ? ?
Old 07-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a Quick Time performance exhaust cut out with there y pipe. the reason most peoples motors fail prematurly is because they hold the switch to long in either direction and burn out the motors. QTP solves this problem with there controller, one button fully closes or fully opens the cut out, another programs the unit to open to what ever you want, this eliminates the chance of holding the swith to long and burning out the motor. AS far as the motor getting knocked off, carefull instalation can all but elminate this problem.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (delsolsi94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delsolsi94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got a Quick Time performance exhaust cut out with there y pipe. the reason most peoples motors fail prematurly is because they hold the switch to long in either direction and burn out the motors. QTP solves this problem with there controller, one button fully closes or fully opens the cut out, another programs the unit to open to what ever you want, this eliminates the chance of holding the swith to long and burning out the motor. AS far as the motor getting knocked off, carefull instalation can all but elminate this problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>yup. I have qtp. My motor did not work properly when I first got it. I had actually sat in my closet for a couple months before installation and the reciept clearly stated 30 day warranty. They told me to send it back, no questions. Fixed it and had it back to me in less than a week.

That ebay seems to have a different flange than my qtp which is a standard 3 bolt flange? QTP switch also looks like a much better piece as stated above.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (4potnick)

I have a qtp and my switch doesnt open it and close it with the one touch feature ?I was just wondering if everyone elses does and when were they purchased?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siblues)

I HAD a QTP, it was a while ago and I had it for about a week. Long enough to take it out of the box look at it, make sure it worked and then sell it. Mine had a reg switch that you could hold on and it would continue to try to open even if it was open already. All in all for the money I didn't want it on my car. It didn't look like it was going to seal up right, I ordered a 3" one and the hole was much less than 3", call them about it and he said yea, you should have gotten the 3.5" one if you wanted a 3" hole but, adapting in into the exhaust would be too hard so the 3" is better for you. At the time I worked 40 hrs a week doing nothing but exhaust. I asked him if it was possible to get my money back and he said, if it is broke we can send you another one other wise i'm stuck with it.

Sold it, made my own out of a spare mustang TB and used a cable. worked great, so great that the first person I showed it to wanted it so I sold it for a rediculous amount of money.

This was at least a year ago so maybe they improved quality since then.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (80884)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 80884 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sold it, made my own out of a spare mustang TB and used a cable. worked great </TD></TR></TABLE>

any pictures of what you did with the TB to use it as a cutout?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (areyouasian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by areyouasian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any pictures of what you did with the TB to use it as a cutout?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostage)

yup, I was pretty pissed. Open up my 2.5 cutout and the onpening is like 2.25in. go figure. I decided to use it anyways cause I want a stock exhaust and this allows it.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No pictures anymore, used to till computer crashed and I lost them.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (80884)

i am pretty sure there are threads about the ATP cutout being very poor quality..i dont think i have actually seen them though.

DMH is supposed to be the best quality with a 4yr warranty mine doesnt really fit correctly on the y pipe either but it gets on there with a little finagleing.

QTP from what i have read has had alot of problems so i stayed away

atp i didnt like the idea because i want to run stock exhaust which spools my turbo at 6k rpm when open it spools at like 4500
Old 07-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dornon13)

are you supposed to find your own cutout when you buy this?
http://www.arospeed.com/p-78534-aro919001.aspx
Old 07-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you supposed to find your own cutout when you buy this?
http://www.arospeed.com/p-78534-aro919001.aspx</TD></TR></TABLE>
Diameter 60.5mm

I belive that was supose to go inline with the exhaust so that you can restrict the exhaust to make it quiet, fully open would be through the exhaust 100%. Notice how they don't show it fully closed?

"The Arospeed ECV - Exhaust Control Valve is designed to allow the sound and flow
of the exhaust system to be toned down from inside the vehicle at anytime. This
system features a cable controlled plate that can be adjusted from fully open to fully
closed (which allows minimal exhaust gas flow, without choking the engine) via a
switch that can be placed anywhere in the front cabin of the vehicle. This unit is the
perfect solution for anyone who wants a tunable sound from their exhaust system
and it works with just about any exhaust on the market today."

Wasn't meant to be a cutout but if it would go completly closed I don't see why it wouldn't work. My guess is it won't close 100%, rendering it useless to be a cutout.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siblues)

The controller doesnt come with the cut out you have to purchase it sepratly
NEW ITEM!! - QTEC CONTROLLER
Controls up to 2 QTECs
Calibrates each motor independently and synchronizes their position
Automatic close at power up
Digital status displays shows butterfly position
Manual pushbutton operation for open, close or partial open
User configurable partial open position