Notices

Ah! Turbo is on. HUGE problems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 05:35 PM
pub
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ah! Turbo is on. HUGE problems!

Put all the rest of my setup on. Here's what I think where my problem lies..

DSM 450cc injectors
Honda OEM resistor box.
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
Running the S-AFC hack.

Everything setup. Just finished putting in new spark plugs. Turn the car on.
The motor starts off just accelerating and keeps on going. I don't really like this, so I cut the motor and it dies down. I look at the motor and tons of white smoke is coming out of the dumptube. I figured the throttle cable was tightened too much for when I routed the boost vac line through the throttle cable bracket. I loosened up the throttle cable and tried again. This time it idled out around 2500 RPM and tons of gases were coming out of the dumptube.

I haven't exactly set up the hack yet - which is probably why it's idling so badly. My S-AFC didn't turn on however. I'll recheck the wiring.

When, I did turn the car on, pretty much all of the gases were shooting out my dumptube. Would this be a cause of a faulty wastegate? I changed the wastegate spring - maybe it didn't seat right when I installed it?

It sure beats the heck out of me. Did any of this happen to you when you guys first installed your turbo setup? Please respond.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ah! Turbo is on. HUGE problems! (pub)

Like you said, its probably becasue your afc didnt turn on, its wired into the ECU so it can do all kinda funny junk, Re check wiring, follow initial setup of the AFC.
go form there.

Rob
Old 05-22-2003, 05:52 PM
pub
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ah! Turbo is on. HUGE problems! (rjardy)

Still alot of smoke is coming from the dumptube? This the wastegate's fault?

edit: Thanks for the call on the S-AFC. I'll check that out now.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:14 PM
pub
Honda-Tech Member

The S-AFC decided to take about 40 secs before it turned on. I guess because I unplugged my ECU and it had to re-learn all the data. I set the following:

Lo-Throttle: 98%
Hi-Throttle: 99%

Incremented: 1000rpm, 1500rpm, 2000rpm, 3000rpm, 4000rpm ... 7000rpm
Set:
1000 -> 4000 @ -40%
5000 @ -37%
6000 @ -36%
7000 @ -35%

Turned her on and it started idling @ ~2500 rpms fluctuating some.
It got down to 1200 rpm and was coming down more towards idle. I reved it a little to test the boost gauge. It didn't move. And the tach shot back up to 2500 and stayed there awhile longer. However the mother came screaming at the noise of the dumptube. And I had to shut it down before it completely idled. So better than last time. However it sounds really loud and it's still coming from the dumptube. I think it's stuck open?

Also my boost gauge reads no boost/vac when I did hit the throttle. I used the PCV nipple of the CAI extension (which is now my charge pipe). I don't know if this is a great source or not. It's not working either way.

Any help/comments are always appreciated.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wire the gauge to the fpr vacumm source.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First thing is that you won't boost unless there is a load on the engine, hence you won't see poitive pressure on your boost gauge unless you drive it.

Second, you should let the car warm up a bit, and then see if it returns to stock idle. If it doesn't, I suspect that you'll need to fiddle with the AFC or look for leaks in the vacuum lines somewhere.

Third, if the wastegate noise bothers you, you should see about routing it back to the exhaust (somewhere close to, but before the cat is ideal) this should quit it down siginifcantly with too much loss in power.

Finally, I doubt anything is wrong with your wastegate. Its a really simple device...either it works or it doesn't and you can only really tellif you drive the car.

Old 05-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ah! Turbo is on. HUGE problems! (MiraiZ)

your wastegate is opening w/out seeing boost? i dont see why smoke is coming out of the dumptube. you running a tial wastegate?
Old 05-22-2003, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you install the w/g gasket thing(The little ring??)
Old 05-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Ah! Turbo is on. HUGE problems! (SiRkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiRkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you install the w/g gasket thing(The little ring??)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am willing to bet this is the problem. Without the metal ring, the gases will flow right around the valve and out the dump tube. There shouldn't be ANY gases coming out of the valve at idle.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Ah! Turbo is on. HUGE problems! (rjardy)

Check your AFC settings. I had a similar problem when installing my V-AFC
Old 05-23-2003, 05:12 AM
pub
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ah! Turbo is on. HUGE problems! (AcIntegGSR00)

I think that may be the problem with the ring around the wastegate. I'll check later today after my interview with this lawfirm. Gotta make some money incase the motor goes.

What is the physics/reasoning behind the ring and all of the gases going through the valve with it off?
Old 05-23-2003, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This ring is actually inserted into the actual wastegate, and is what the valve uses to seat it self. I think they made it this way so it could be easily replaced if it was damaged or melted somehow.

Without the ring, there is a 1-2mm gap between the valve and the wastegates body even with the valve fully closed. Without it, the gases will pass right past the valve.

Old 05-23-2003, 12:27 PM
pub
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ah! Turbo is on. HUGE problems! (Bryson)

Wow. Boosted. It felt so great. I still got a good bit of white smoke coming after I boost - which I am pretty worried about. I'm going to do a compression check later. Also: my S-AFC turned off during driving! I think the connections came loose. I'm going to solder them before anything else. for using electrical tape. Anyways the car pulls incredibly hard. Spools up @ ~3300 rpm. I had a bit of compressor surge coming home. I'm going to check that out as well. But wow. It definitely pulls harder than my friends LS/VTEC turboed Del Sol @ 8 psi. I'm thinking it's around ~230whp. That's just the buttdyno. We'll see how much it really makes when I head on down to InlinePRO.

Thanks Bryson and everybody else who helped.