Notices

Aftermarket Axles - List your setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Axles - List your setup

Well after running on OEM axles for the season both of mine are clicking, so now that i have the opportunity to do some work since my car is stored for the winter i was going to invest in some aftermarket axles as well as an LSD.

I was wondering what are some of you 400-600whp guys using as far as axles, and if you guys could recommend some as well as your experiences too.

My car is daily driven and will see track once springtime comes.

Any input would be great.

John
Old 12-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup (nY's FiNeSt)

DSS stage III axles. snapped both of them on my 3rd pass. Not real happy with them. A local buddy of mine that runs high 10's uses gator axles(seen him snap them three times). Ground Zero guys 600-700whp use DSS as well. But they use stage 5 and I've seen them towed away from the start line at least 6 times.

Axles break...look for the ones with the best warranty.(closest to you so you have less down time when they do break.)
Old 12-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup (RTErnie)

i use gator stage 3's
Old 12-04-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup (wantboost)

Im using DSS stage II's...no problems after 5000 miles.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup (kameleon23)

raxles stg2,da **** man!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup (h22slohatch)

Gator High Performance....I really wouldnt recommend them for a street car. Mine is still a street car and whenever I make sharp turns they click cause of the big joint. Glenn said they are mostly for race use only..
Old 12-05-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup (anothaRRR)

I now use Gator stage 3's.

I have used DSS 2's before, here is a little summary for ya!

DSS 2's gone on the 4th pass down the 1/4 (with 9-10psi in slicks)
Stockers lasted for 3 passes (9-10psi)
Gators have lasted 3 passes (6-7 psi) with no problems yet

As you can see Ive been pretty frustrated this season, only getting 10 passes with the car. My 60's are very high 1.8-2.0's so it is not a problem with the launch.

Thank you Glenn!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup (CompressionFed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CompressionFed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I now use Gator stage 3's.

As you can see Ive been pretty frustrated this season, only getting 10 passes with the car. My 60's are very high 1.8-2.0's so it is not a problem with the launch.

Thank you Glenn!</TD></TR></TABLE>

wouldnt the high 60's mean it IS a problem with the launch? you simply shouldnt be breaking axles like that... not w/ 11.75 hp.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:47 AM

anyone running Fidanza axles? im only putting down a little shy of 300whp but i do have some fidanza's kicking around and i was just wondering if anyone has useds them? thanks!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup (LSTEG96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSTEG96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wouldnt the high 60's mean it IS a problem with the launch? you simply shouldnt be breaking axles like that... not w/ 11.75 hp. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really. If I was cutting 1.5-1.6 60's, obviously there's more strain on the axles. But Im spinning out the hole. I think with the clutch setup I use, my axles are breaking on the 1-2 shift. Thats my theory atleast.

Also, all motor hp is a little different than turbo hp. Even though my car only makes @280whp (compared to 600-700 turbo whp), the power is instant and violent...no gradual increase due to spooling issues.

All Motor cars often rip through gears and FD's and synchros. Ask Brad Z and Howard how many gears, FD's, and axles they went through last year!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ah ok... i guess all motor ok... how are u making 280? k series? or BALLER b series?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup (LSTEG96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSTEG96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ah ok... i guess all motor ok... how are u making 280? k series? or BALLER b series? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its a bseries motor. If you look in the All Motor section you can read about the set-up. The dynograph that is posted was from our first dyno session ever, and after a few adjustments we are making just shy of 280whp. (the poor motor has more dyno pulls than 1/4 passes).
Old 12-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CompressionFed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its a bseries motor. If you look in the All Motor section you can read about the set-up. The dynograph that is posted was from our first dyno session ever, and after a few adjustments we are making just shy of 280whp. (the poor motor has more dyno pulls than 1/4 passes).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe you should change your title now, or do you have another car? Impressive, btw.

I did some searching on axles a few weeks ago, and it found out that NA cars are rougher on axles than turbo cars. I don't see how this would make a difference.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup (USE2B16A)

what kinda prices are you guys paying for gator stage 2/3 and DSS stage 2/3?

also what kind of warrenty is there
Old 12-05-2005, 08:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USE2B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I did some searching on axles a few weeks ago, and it found out that NA cars are rougher on axles than turbo cars. I don't see how this would make a difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like I said above, the power from all motor cars is instant, and very tough on parts. RLZ had to open their tranny often last year, another local racer Matt Kennedy has to swap his synchros every two weekends or so, and I've had my tranny open three times now in as many track appearances. Same goes for other all motor guys.

Im interested to know how often Cloyse and other all motor b series guys go through their tranny's.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USE2B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Maybe you should change your title now, or do you have another car? Impressive, btw.

I did some searching on axles a few weeks ago, and it found out that NA cars are rougher on axles than turbo cars. I don't see how this would make a difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he doesnt need to change his name... compression fed... high compression..... god it amazes me how little people understand.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSTEG96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
wouldnt the high 60's mean it IS a problem with the launch? you simply shouldnt be breaking axles like that... not w/ 11.75 hp. </TD></TR></TABLE>

11.75hp???

anyways, no complaits about the gators... they look pretty and feel solid (motor still isnt in the car)
Old 12-05-2005, 02:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nY’s FiNeSt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kinda prices are you guys paying for gator stage 2/3 and DSS stage 2/3?

also how long of a warrenty do they carry</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CompressionFed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Like I said above, the power from all motor cars is instant, and very tough on parts. RLZ had to open their tranny often last year, another local racer Matt Kennedy has to swap his synchros every two weekends or so, and I've had my tranny open three times now in as many track appearances. Same goes for other all motor guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, I didn't read that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he doesnt need to change his name... compression fed... high compression..... god it amazes me how little people understand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I wasn't thinking before I typed that, now was I Mr. Honda-Tech post ***** *******? That is your job, isn't it? Let's see...6618 posts! That's 12.65 posts per day on average! +1 for you my friend!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gator Axles
Old 12-06-2005, 09:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nY’s FiNeSt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kinda prices are you guys paying for gator stage 2/3 and DSS stage 2/3?
also how long of a warrenty do they carry
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-06-2005, 11:30 AM
I ask Twitter, not xtrac1

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CompressionFed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not really. If I was cutting 1.5-1.6 60's, obviously there's more strain on the axles. But Im spinning out the hole. I think with the clutch setup I use, my axles are breaking on the 1-2 shift. Thats my theory atleast.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wheel hop maybe?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup (rico91stang)

i was using gator 3's with about 550hp
Old 12-06-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup (GT40eg)

I'm sure driving/launching ability plays a big role in axles breaking, but I know a few people that have snapped gator axles... I would never buy them. I'd go with DSS if I ever decided to get aftermarket axles. My OEM axles hold up pretty well (haven't broke them yet) launching at 7k on slicks, but then again I am only making like 215-230whp
Old 12-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup (beerbongskickass)

from what i understand its the initial shock from the slack in the drivetrain that kills axles, diffs etc. if you preload the drivetrain so there is no slack then you shouldnt be breaking stuff so easily.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CompressionFed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I now use Gator stage 3's.

Thank you Glenn!</TD></TR></TABLE>
There has to be a problem elsewere. I pulled 1.7 60's on average with stock axles. I broke a few but I cant think of a time when I got less then 5 passes on an axle. most of the time they broke going into 2nd. I would look deeper into your setup. I suspect a problem elsewere.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Axles - List your setup