After Turbo Install, car wont run...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Turbo Install, car wont run...

So heres what happen..

Last Night I got my car back after it was outfitted with a Drag Gen 3 Turbo Kit. The guy that did the installation didn't put the downpipe on because theres no flange at the end of the drag downpipe and could not connect to the catalytic convertor.

Ok so heres my car as of now.
2000 Integra GS-R
Drag Gen 3 Kit (downpipe not installed)
No EMS, just missing link + FMU.
Everything else is stock.

When I got my car back last night. It would die everything I try to come to a stop. I.E stop light, stop sign, traffic, it would completely die and I would have to restart it.

So I went ahead and put full tank of gas in there and got on the freeway to pick up my girlfriend. On the way there about 17 miles of driving the car just DIED, i was in 5th gear and going about 80mph. So I downshifted to 4th and try starting it, and it did and I revved it up to 6k nothing happen and I was in gear and foot off the clutch. Then I couldn't keep the RPM up and the car died.

I went ahead and try to start the car, it would start then *poom* *poom* sounds like backfire/misfiring sounds when ever i tried to start it. Then my battery died after trying to start it too much, I went ahead and checked the spark plugs and they tip were pitch black. So I got it towed back to my house...

This afternoon, I replaced the battery with a new one. Then tried starting the car. Now it will only crank but would not start, and it will make a winding down clicking/hissing noise after i let go of the ignition key.

-Also found out that my missing link was not held on all the way.

Possible solutions:
Replace spark plugs, Install downpipe and plug in the primary O2 sensor.

What is causing my car to die when I try to come to a stop?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2004, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After Turbo Install, car wont run... (Ceres)

Your running pig rich would be the problem im sure, also you stated that the spark plug were pitch black, another indication of it running rich. maybe when you try to start it too much and too much fuel, fuel relay might be dead. check those relay and see if everything is working properly. And get some real fuel management (Hondata, EMS) before you blow that motor up. the car shouldnt be drive in that kind of situation.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: After Turbo Install, car wont run... (StolenTeg)

did he take the distributor cap off for any reason ? (installing ignition, coil etc?)

if so id check to make sure the rotor screw is still in.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Re: After Turbo Install, car wont run... (slowpokesi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowpokesi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did he take the distributor cap off for any reason ? (installing ignition, coil etc?)

if so id check to make sure the rotor screw is still in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

None of the ignition components were touched.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StolenTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your running pig rich would be the problem im sure, also you stated that the spark plug were pitch black, another indication of it running rich. maybe when you try to start it too much and too much fuel, fuel relay might be dead. check those relay and see if everything is working properly. And get some real fuel management (Hondata, EMS) before you blow that motor up. the car shouldnt be drive in that kind of situation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im planning to run E-Manage as soon as I can get this car to run so I can get to work and back. Running super rich will make my car die at when its slowing down and going 80 on the freeway?
Old 08-21-2004, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: After Turbo Install, car wont run... (Ceres)

It will if the spark plug electrodes get soaked in fuel.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:49 PM

So heres what Im thinking.

My missing link came loose during driving and now the sensor is feeling atmospheric pressure instead of the real pressure, and it is sending signals to the ECU to load the car with bunch of fuel when it is not needed.

I think the no downpipe also ties in but I dont know how to explain it.

So..car is loaded with fuel when not needed, causing my plugs to turn pitch black and not work anymore...
Old 08-21-2004, 09:23 PM

did u get a cel?
Old 08-21-2004, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ceres)

Your car is OBD2b, there are 2 sensor in the downpipe those sensor are difinitely needed, is the car throwing any CEL. it should be since there are no downpipe anyway. i dont think it a good idea to drive a car that keep shutting off, you shouldnt drive it at all. I dont think the missing link is the cause of too much fuel here, the missing link is to stop the engine from seeing boost when you are in boost so it wont throw a CEL. get that downpipe in with those sensor and see if anything changes would be the best thing to do.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:31 PM

Im not driving my car at the moment, since it wont even start. and i won't be until i get everything fixed. Yeah I have CEL codes, but thats cause of the no downpipe. Im not in limp mode cause of the missing link.

Should I go with a vafc until I can get a more realibable EMS to tune it?
Old 08-21-2004, 09:41 PM

get ure downpipe or o2 simulators b4 anything else. whats ure idle like wen u were able to drive it?
Old 08-22-2004, 09:59 AM

I don't remember the idle because i didn't really pay attention to it.

Installer took 2months+ to put on my kit...so I was kinda excited about it and stuff.

Im pretty sure idle fine because i didnt notice it much.