Notices

AFI Turbo A/C Kit on a built DC2- the story

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFI Turbo A/C Kit on a built DC2- the story

Hello HT members,

I have been out of the game for quite sometime (8 years) and have been restoring my DC2 over the pass 6 months which was originally built for NA. I completed the restoration and engine build with the help of my friends over at Skunk2 and netted 204.2 WHP & 144.8 torque tuned with S300 and by the infamous Dr. Charles on the SK2 dyno jet and have decided to go boost just enough to net me slightly over 300WHP. My goal for this vehicle is for street and occassional AutoX, basically a all around car that is clean, reliable and functional with A/C.

Here is my current N/A set up.
-Fully built GSR Block (by OMNI back in the day) GSR Crank, Manly Rods, LA Sleeves, 11:1 JE pistons 84mm bore. 1.95L (i believe)
-ITR complete head and valvetrain, Toda dual valve springs, Toda B cams, SK2 Pro cam gears
-ITR Endyn ported and shaped IM, Sk2 70mm TB, AEM CAI w/ 3 inch BPI stack and filter, RDX injectors
- ITR tranny
- TDM regular tube hytech rep headers 2.5 straight pipe to 60mm NOIR Apexi exhaust
- S300 stand alone

Now, this is where the fun begins (turbo)...
Planning on purchasing a AFI Street Kit A/C capatible for my new set up.
-AFI 304ss Tubular Ramhorn Manifold, Limited Lifetime Warrany
-AFI 3" Stainless Downpipe w/ braided flex and O2 bung
-AFI Stainless DIY dumptube kit
-AFI 26x6.5.3.5 Garrett Core Backdoor Front mount Intercooler
-AFI 2.5'" Powder Coated Charge Piping Kit, Bead Rolled
-AFI Street oil line kit (AN fittings, Braided line)
-Garrett T3/T04e 57 trim
-Tial 38mm MVS V-Band Wastegate
-Tial 50mm Q Blow-Off Valve

I have done plenty of research on HT and wanted to get the members opinions on some of my concerns.

-The main concerns is the C/R being at 11:1 on a boosted vehicle. I might be lower then this factoring that JE calculates their B series pistons (GSR) with a GSR block and head combo. Since, I am using a ITR head with larger pockets compared to a GSR head, I was told that this would lower my C/R slightly .4 or so and since I am slighly bored (84mm) this would bring me right back up there ranging from 10:6 to 11:1....... Your thoughts?
Eitherway, I know its all in the tune and I am confident in Sk2, Dr. Charles tuning making sure my AF ratios are in line and again, I only plan on boosting 7-12 pounds tops on 91 pump.
Your thoughts?.....

- I was also wondering about my current cams. These are fairly large cams and are larger then the Pro1 and perhaps even the Pro2. I do see some people making good relaible power with more aggressive cams on their boost set up and seeing a trend. I am considering keeping these cams for my boost set up.
Your thoughts?.....

- Injectors? Stuck between Injector Dynamics & Deatschwerks * Fuel Injector clinics.
Probably going to go with the range of 750 to 1000 but was unsure about which brand to go with. I have heard good things about all of them and to be honest, I dont think I can go wrong with either ones. They are all modified Bosh or denso (OEM) injectors but I guess it boils down to cost and their QC process.
Your thoughts on brand and injector size?.....

-Lastly, Cooling? In speaking to some friends of mine, to properly build a reliable turbo kit, you want to build around the turbo and this means cooling it making it more efficient. I have a full Koyo Radiator and I want to keep this at all possible avoiding the half radiator route everyone is doing especially with a A/C manifold. I have heard of "gangsta lean" of the radiator and such or perhaps a custome radiator tucked under the core support.
I am thinking to somehow fab the top radiator forward allowing cleareance for the manifold and engine movement. Is there a DIY for this or do i have other options?
Your thoughts?.....

Any valuble opinions would be appreciated in assisting me with my restoration and eventually I would be saling most of my NA parts which are practically new.
Homeadvantage@***.net
Paul

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images   
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2011 Dyno Tune - NA DC2R.pdf (24.7 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by PTranGS-R; 03-30-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AFI Turbo A/C Kit on a built DC2- the story

Originally Posted by PTranGS-R
Hello HT members,

I have been out of the game for quite sometime (8 years) and have been restoring my DC2 over the pass 6 months which was originally built for NA. I completed the restoration and engine build with the help of my friends over at Skunk2 and netted 204.2 WHP & 144.8 torque tuned with S300 and by the infamous Dr. Charles on the SK2 dyno jet and have decided to go boost just enough to net me slightly over 300WHP. My goal for this vehicle is for street and occassional AutoX, basically a all around car that is clean, reliable and functional with A/C.

Here is my current N/A set up.
-Fully built GSR Block (by OMNI back in the day) GSR Crank, Manly Rods, LA Sleeves, 11:1 JE pistons 84mm bore. 1.95L (i believe)
-ITR complete head and valvetrain, Toda dual valve springs, Toda B cams, SK2 Pro cam gears
-ITR Endyn ported and shaped IM, Sk2 70mm TB, AEM CAI w/ 3 inch BPI stack and filter, RDX injectors
- ITR tranny
- TDM regular tube hytech rep headers 2.5 straight pipe to 60mm NOIR Apexi exhaust
- S300 stand alone

Now, this is where the fun begins (turbo)...
Planning on purchasing a AFI Street Kit A/C capatible for my new set up.
-AFI 304ss Tubular Ramhorn Manifold, Limited Lifetime Warrany
-AFI 3" Stainless Downpipe w/ braided flex and O2 bung
-AFI Stainless DIY dumptube kit
-AFI 26x6.5.3.5 Garrett Core Backdoor Front mount Intercooler
-AFI 2.5'" Powder Coated Charge Piping Kit, Bead Rolled
-AFI Street oil line kit (AN fittings, Braided line)
-Garrett T3/T04e 57 trim
-Tial 38mm MVS V-Band Wastegate
-Tial 50mm Q Blow-Off Valve

I have done plenty of research on HT and wanted to get the members opinions on some of my concerns.

-The main concerns is the C/R being at 11:1 on a boosted vehicle. I might be lower then this factoring that JE calculates their B series pistons (GSR) with a GSR block and head combo. Since, I am using a ITR head with larger pockets compared to a GSR head, I was told that this would lower my C/R slightly .4 or so and since I am slighly bored (84mm) this would bring me right back up there ranging from 10:6 to 11:1....... Your thoughts?
Eitherway, I know its all in the tune and I am confident in Sk2, Dr. Charles tuning making sure my AF ratios are in line and again, I only plan on boosting 7-12 pounds tops on 91 pump.
Your thoughts?.....

- I was also wondering about my current cams. These are fairly large cams and are larger then the Pro1 and perhaps even the Pro2. I do see some people making good relaible power with more aggressive cams on their boost set up and seeing a trend. I am considering keeping these cams for my boost set up.
Your thoughts?.....

- Injectors? Stuck between Injector Dynamics & Deatschwerks * Fuel Injector clinics.
Probably going to go with the range of 750 to 1000 but was unsure about which brand to go with. I have heard good things about all of them and to be honest, I dont think I can go wrong with either ones. They are all modified Bosh or denso (OEM) injectors but I guess it boils down to cost and their QC process.
Your thoughts on brand and injector size?.....

-Lastly, Cooling? In speaking to some friends of mine, to properly build a reliable turbo kit, you want to build around the turbo and this means cooling it making it more efficient. I have a full Koyo Radiator and I want to keep this at all possible avoiding the half radiator route everyone is doing especially with a A/C manifold. I have heard of "gangsta lean" of the radiator and such or perhaps a custome radiator tucked under the core support.
I am thinking to somehow fab the top radiator forward allowing cleareance for the manifold and engine movement. Is there a DIY for this or do i have other options?
Your thoughts?.....

Any valuble opinions would be appreciated in assisting me with my restoration and eventually I would be saling most of my NA parts which are practically new.
Homeadvantage@***.net
Paul

Thanks in advance!
The compression you plan on running will be fine at that boost. The only thing that may hurt you is running 91 octane. Your tuner will have to be on point, or you will run a huge risk of trashing the engine if it detonates. I dont know too much about the toda cams but being an aggressive all motor cam, they will have a ton of overlap. With cams like this, you will not be able to roll the overlap out. That will cause the engine to work ineffectienly. Using the "larger" cams only helps when you are trying to yield a large whp number. The Pro1's are an all motor cam and are used in boosted cars making upwards of 600whp. IMO skunk2 tuner1's would be a great choice for you.

I bought ID1000's to run in my GSR and absolutely love them. For what you are trying to do the 750's will suit you just fine. They are an awesome flowing injector and I definatly recommend them to anyone. I dont have any experience with the Deatschwerks injectors but I will say that if you go with the Injector Dynamics injectors you will not be disappointed.

Alot of people run a full radiator in their boosted DC2. Tucking the radiator would definatly be nice because it will give you a little more room in the bay. I have a turbo gsr in my civic hatch and I am using a Mishimoto EG half sized radiator. I installed it with a slim fan and also used a low temp thermostat from Go-Autoworks.com. I havent had any cooling issues since then.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks 4Cylfiend
It does help and further solitifies that my CR is fine with that boost level.
Probably gonna switch the cams to something less agressive and I too also heard the tuner cams suits well for turbo application.
Regarding the Radiator.
Is there anyone using a FULL Koyo Radiator with a A/C Manifold in a DC2? If so, what fab are required? I couldnt find it anywhere.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First thing I noticed was the mention of the "back door intercooler." You can't use that with a full radiator, you would need a half rad.
Suggest keeping the nice full sized rad you have and routing the charge piping around.

Your compression is fine.

You could always run the Toda B's and see how they do, and go from there. They are pretty aggressive for your goals though. Swapping them out to some itr's might be a good idea. Talk to your tuner a bit more about this.

ID or FIC injectors are good. Can't go wrong with either one. 750's would be plenty for your goals.

There's lots of manifold options out there where you can keep your full sized rad. I suggest keeping it, and running slim fans. You shouldn't have a problem keeping it.

Clean engine bay. I like.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like the teg
Old 03-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks 97CWITR for bringing that to my attention about the IC and how I wouldnt be able to run a full KOYO RAD.
So, are you saying that I can still use this IC and just re-route the charger pipe around the Full Koyo Rad in order to use both?
Or
Do I need to get a new IC? If I decide to keep the full RAD?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks 97CWITR for bringing that to my attention about the IC and how I wouldnt be able to run a full KOYO RAD.
So, are you saying that I can still use this IC and just re-route the charger pipe around the Full Koyo Rad in order to use both?
Or
Do I need to get a new IC? If I decide to keep the full RAD?

If you are really stuck on using the afi kit, ask them to make you a different intercooler. It's a very simple change to make. They shouldn't charge you anything extra for that.

Have the inlet and outlets face outwards, and reroute the piping around the intercooler.
Very simple, just adds a bit more piping.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am buying the kit used so I would be stuck with it or I can sell it.
So, can i still use that IC and just custom the piping? I guess I have to really look at it and I have not purchased yet. decisions decision
Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shouldn't be too hard to sell that intercooler and buy another one that suites your setup.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just out of curiousity, how much are you getting that afi kit for? I may have an alternate route that may be a little bit better of a deal for you.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97CWITR
First thing I noticed was the mention of the "back door intercooler." You can't use that with a full radiator, you would need a half rad.
Suggest keeping the nice full sized rad you have and routing the charge piping around.
I'm running backdoor fmic with stock dc full radiator.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If all your aiming for is 300whp I would suggest stock gsr cams and smaller injectors that way you would have a stock idle since its going to be a daily driver..
Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He could have stock idle with ID1000s. The injectors are amazing.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The overlap in those cams are what concerns me; personally Id go with a set of CTR cams if possible, and a set of 750cc injectors. My tuner told me Injector Dynamics are the best to tune with, especially at idle.

Love the car, very clean. Keep up the good work...
Old 03-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for all of the 411.
It seems to me the ID injectors 885 would be sufficient for my application.
Cams? Probably gonna sell and go with SK2 Pro1 the newest versions
Radiator? Thinking I may just have to ditch the full Koyo Rad and just do the half Koyo rad for now, unless I can some how fab the Koyo Rad to tuck or move the top forward or something to fit the AFI manifold and wastegate. IDK or perhaps a custom Rywire Radiator tuck of some sort. Still unsure on what I am going to do.
The car is not a daily but I have been driving her more then the Audi as its so much more fun to drive. But mainly gonna be for AutoX as I am not getting any younger being 30 (mid-life crises).
To be honest 205 WHP felt real good when I took it through the Malibu canyons last week going to the TriCity Meet. Those Toda Cams are amazing but I am hungry for more power.
The cost for redoing the head, porting and polishing, flat valves, milding the head etc.. would cost me roughly about $1,500 and at that price I found a AFI Street kit for around that. So, from a cost approach, yielding an additional 15 WHP going NA vs. 100+ WHP boosting 7-10 pounds on my set up makes it more appealing to boost. But for AutoX I know NA would be ideal and if boosting I would have cooling issues (now going half rad) and now traction issues. So, pros and cons here for both scenarios...sorry just talking to myself..LOL
BTW..here is the pix of the Audi which is now parked outside and the DC2 is parked in the garage.. LOL & some updated pix of the DC2-R
Attached Images    

Last edited by PTranGS-R; 04-02-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^OMFGz^
Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man Im against everything VW/Audi but that car is sick...

Id still rather have the Integra though
Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE:
2 years later! I had my already stroked motor
Rebuilt and decided to run CP pistons 10.7 CR
And went all out on the build going turbo!
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Motor
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pistons
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CP and Carillo
Combo
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Back of the motor.
Added an OEM oil cooler.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shot of fan shroud and turbo/manifold.
Lots of fabrication needed to have this fit.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TA Da! Done and breaking in motor.
Throwing some 1000 ID injectors in a few days and tune in a week or two!
Will post some dyno sheets.

Shooting for 350whp+ on 91 & 450whp to 500whp on race!
Let's see what develops....
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TA Da! Done and breaking in motor.
Throwing some 1000 ID injectors in a few days and tune in a week or two!
Will post some dyno sheets.

Shooting for 350whp+ on 91 & 450whp to 500whp on race!
Let's see what develops....
Looks way good cant wait to see the numbers. Your car is simply clean and i love it. in for results.

Quick Reply: AFI Turbo A/C Kit on a built DC2- the story