Notices

AFI out of business?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 04:38 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default AFI out of business?

Their webpage has been suspended and their facebook page is basically dead.

Did I miss the memo or something?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm interesting.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:56 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Default Re: AFI out of business?

Yea I was looking at manifolds for my epicsuperfuntime b series build and their site is suspended and redirects to the site host. weird too, they offered great products and the business seemed to be growing, I'll have to hit up the guys on Facebook and see what's going on. maybe they are overhauling the site or something?

on that note it's super hard to find a divided t3 manifold for a b series, even topmounts are really only offered in t4

Luckily Sheepey has a bottom mount divided t3 mani *happy dance*
Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I literally just had a customer send in a manifold to get a 60mm gate put on his top mount and he just got it back about a week ago.

So unless it happened literally within the week .. I am almost 100% certain they are still around.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw this on their facebook page. A customer posted it daying it was they last they head from them as of 4-10-14
Here's the truth man. Due to some unfortunate circumstances we had to get day jobs. Sales dramatically sloped off, and we just couldn't keep the doors open anymore. This doesn't mean that we ran off with your money by any means, it*just means during the week I can't get to all my messages. I assure you that we will still get your product out, we just didnt want this going public just yet. Ill try to make it down to the shop tonight and see where your manifold is in production and will get back to you. I'm sorry for the delays we're having, it's the last thing anyone wanted, trust me on that!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The end is near I fear. More and more people are losing interest in modifying cars to the extreme due to financial reasons or new cars are more appealing. I have watched quite a few performance shops close the doors around me as well or sell off the business because revenue is dipping severely. Sign of the times unfortunately. After some very private conversations with a few Honda specific companies the future is dimming even further. Hell, just look to any forum activity so see where things are going.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dat sux....I liked alot of their designs. Perhaps like alot of companies though, their first few years of business might be supported on a combination of revenue from their goods and services ontop of bank loans and line of credit and when the loans are exhausted and the revenue isnt quite where it needs to be by that point, they have to close their doors because the return on their investments isn't happening as quickly as it needs to.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Well damn. afi parts just went up in value lol
Old 05-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Brad is pretty much done from my understanding. Heard BWR bought all his jigs.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Oh Jesus, like we need bwr making even more products :/

I remember when they all left full race for various reasons and started afi. They made solid products. sucks it had to end like this.

we shut our shop down a couple of years ago for the exact same reasons.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
The end is near I fear. More and more people are losing interest in modifying cars to the extreme due to financial reasons or new cars are more appealing. I have watched quite a few performance shops close the doors around me as well or sell off the business because revenue is dipping severely. Sign of the times unfortunately. After some very private conversations with a few Honda specific companies the future is dimming even further. Hell, just look to any forum activity so see where things are going.
Agreed. I left the business 3 years ago due to things starting to fade off. Our popular chassis for tuning and motorsports foundations are aging. Muscle cars made a comeback and the other productions vehicles are now tight emissions, complicated hybrids etc. The golden years of modifying cars has been peaked and is now on the decline sharply.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Oh Jesus, like we need bwr making even more products :/

I remember when they all left full race for various reasons and started afi. They made solid products. sucks it had to end like this.

we shut our shop down a couple of years ago for the exact same reasons.
At least you get your product from them. There are a couple guys in my area still waiting on stuff from brad and my understanding is brad received the payment months ago for them. I was gonna screenshot where i got my info but cant find it. He may be trying to finish up what he has actually been paid for but im not sure. I do know he took forever and a day most of the time. We waited a few months for an intake manifold that was supposed to be 2 week turn around. Great product but horrible business guy.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Their webpage has been suspended and their facebook page is basically dead.

Did I miss the memo or something?
They have been having problems for the last 2 years I wanna say. Lots of customer complaints and back orders. It took them 4 months to get my stuff out to me, when I was advised it would take 2 weeks. Also there facebook page was full of customer complaints and people asking for there items that were ordered long before mine. Hopefully all those people got there items. I had to follow up with them every single time they promised me my manifold would be finished.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

lol i have an afi ramhorn id be willing to sell for the rit price lol.

their customers service went to **** after jesse left in 09 anyway. it took me a month just to get a price on the super street fmic. then decide to convert to go autoworks.

honestly, go autoworks fitment is better also. plus gregs the man.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcmatt
Great product but horrible business guy.
That seems to be the trend. I was friends with one of the main fabricators at SLS (Straight Line Specialties of Fargo, ND)...same story with them. They're great guys who make awesome products, but they stink at the business side of things. They went from a prominent shop in a central location in town to a storage garage on the south end (aka fell into obscurity).
Old 05-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

his personal page is still active, when I ordered mine a couple years ago, it took a couple months but I got my manifold and turbo and he kept me updated.

https://www.facebook.com/nikemanbrad?fref=ts
Old 05-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BWR bought all his jigs, he now works for BWR, but not without ******* over a lot of people in the process..Shame, I thought brad was a really good guy, good hearted and great product, turns out to be another strada and exospeed, Robbing peter, to pay paul type of situation.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DDTECH
BWR bought all his jigs....
Hey your back Derek! Blake must of just been having a bad day that day but I know it was all to seem fair in all since that other guy was WAY outta line lol
Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Nah I hustled to get him unbanned. Derek now owes me sexual favors or a set of awesome cams, whichever comes first

speaking of exospeed, who do i have to sleep with to actually get a quality 96-00 civic 3pc front end in fiberglass? I'm not using it for a drag car so I need the "narrow" fenders
Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah I hustled to get him unbanned. Derek now owes me sexual favors or a set of awesome cams, whichever comes first...
LOL, well glad to have ya back Derek! FI forum seems to be our new place at hang now anywho since the AM forum has had its day
Old 05-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I have been wondering what the BWR suspension parts are like, namely the rear subframe brace, rear lcas, and lower brace. especially since they already come anodized pink, the color I'm running on my black civic.

nothing adds insult to injury like passing a supercar on a racetrack in a black 600+hp turbo civic with metallic pink wheels and pink suspension components lol

My only complaint would be that they use rubber bushings, trying to find suspension components that use spherical bearings and heim joints is hard, although I did just find spherical adjustable arms for everything but the front upper control arm... that might be one of those I have to make it deals.

I did find spherical front lcas that eliminate the ball joints, rear spherical trailing arm replacements (50lbs lighter lol) with spherical rear lcas and camber links. and a tubular 9.5lb front subframe. still at a loss for front upper arms.

since everything for Hondas seems to be drag racing oriented I'm having to repurpose drag parts for circuit duty.... but I do like a good challenge lol
Old 05-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been wondering what the BWR suspension parts are like....
Same here....when I get past the electronics, motor, and re-tuning phase of my current car I'll prob give their suspension or chassis bracing products a try since they seem to offer alot and they're not as prevalent to the point (yet) to where its like Skunk2 where its on every other modified mid 90's Honda/Acura
Old 05-07-2014, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
correcto..

last 2 years were pretty decent, but this year is off to a very slow start when you look at forum posting/activity on national & local level.

On the local level, i could do more to bring up the scene and web traffic but when i think about it... it's too time consuming creating content & there's not much apperication & zero reward.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those of you that are in the business, how much trade to you do outside of USA?
The market place through-out Europe is in growth, there are a few more companies manufacturing in the region but a lot of parts come direct from the US, just curious as things are still growing here?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They owe quite a few customers either parts or money, judging by the threads about them on s2ki.com

Quick Reply: AFI out of business?