Notices

AFI out of business?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: AFI out of business?

We've never really dealt internationally. the shipping charges, shipping insurance, and transit times are absurd as are customs fees and wait time to clear customs. not to mention the common occurrence of international parcels getting lost.

also, at least the last time I looked, American businesses can be taxed for overseas sales... a tax we can't collect from our customers so there's another added cost.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's interesting, couple of tuning companies I know order in bulk, say a large box or pallet at a time (2 weeks or monthly), the consignments consist of a range of products, that's just 2 I know of.
I hear you on the taxes, the respective governments have managed to take there pound of flesh but it's still works out cheaper to buy direct from the US even with those heavy taxes.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
That seems to be the trend. I was friends with one of the main fabricators at SLS (Straight Line Specialties of Fargo, ND)...same story with them. They're great guys who make awesome products, but they stink at the business side of things. They went from a prominent shop in a central location in town to a storage garage on the south end (aka fell into obscurity).

Not really a problem with the business side it just turns out there is less and less money to be made in producing car parts. Business smarts moved SLS into a way cheaper building and changed his direction into more machining. Also in fargo there is no customer money to be made and more headaches than anything. Everyones car would sit there over a few thousand dollar bill. This is why all major shops across the country have started working on high dollars as turns out those people have money.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea it seems like more and more businesses are moving over to evos, STis, r35s, audis, Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc.

hell all T1 does these days is R35s.

having worked in a full capacity machine shop I can tell you that's where the money is. even when the economy went to **** all of our machines ran around the clock 24/7/365. There's been a backlog on every machine for the last 10 years and it's only getting bigger.

and that's with 2 5axis mills, a 4 axis mill, 4 5 axis lathes with tailstocks and autobar feeders, and 2 manual lathes with DROs
Old 05-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Trial User

Great products though
Old 05-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
I have been wondering what the BWR suspension parts are like, namely the rear subframe brace, rear lcas, and lower brace. especially since they already come anodized pink, the color I'm running on my black civic.

nothing adds insult to injury like passing a supercar on a racetrack in a black 600+hp turbo civic with metallic pink wheels and pink suspension components lol

My only complaint would be that they use rubber bushings, trying to find suspension components that use spherical bearings and heim joints is hard, although I did just find spherical adjustable arms for everything but the front upper control arm... that might be one of those I have to make it deals.

I did find spherical front lcas that eliminate the ball joints, rear spherical trailing arm replacements (50lbs lighter lol) with spherical rear lcas and camber links. and a tubular 9.5lb front subframe. still at a loss for front upper arms.

since everything for Hondas seems to be drag racing oriented I'm having to repurpose drag parts for circuit duty.... but I do like a good challenge lol
Look into Kingpin Machine product. Incredible parts.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I'll take a look.

it's funny because my current planned parts combo will have almost every major Honda fabrication/parts shop that are at war with each other on one car lol.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DC_Legacy
LOL, well glad to have ya back Derek! FI forum seems to be our new place at hang now anywho since the AM forum has had its day
Thanks brother, It was a something along the lines of me being a expendable casualty if you would. I'm over it, the sac riders and hype believers can do whatever they please, I'll keep doing me, My business and being successful.

On another note, yea, I feel a "tad" safer here in the FI forum if you would ;p.. I owe Muckman and Wantboost both some serious nudes.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EddieCRX
Those of you that are in the business, how much trade to you do outside of USA?
The market place through-out Europe is in growth, there are a few more companies manufacturing in the region but a lot of parts come direct from the US, just curious as things are still growing here?
This Year started strong for me overseas, about 35% of my current business to DATE, has been overseas. Camshafts, E-tuning and some Misc parts / stuff.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The AFI products were top notch and they were definitely power makers. I like Brad as a person, he has a good heart, and he's doing him, that's fine. But stringing people on for months at a time is no good.

I've ran into some issues myself, Grinder sick, backorder cores, etc, but I've kept in contact with people, I've had some very long wait times because we'd get really backed up, people just want communication when they reach out, I'll be the first to check in as well and it makes people feel more secure, Not gonna lie, I know it makes em feel better.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad I got my stuff when I did, sucks for the people that did not. I just hope that I do not have any defects with my parts because I have not used them yet.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kind of off topic but is the industry falling off in certain regions or as a whole. I'm from the north east and it looks like it's making a comeback if anything else. Lots of events and full fields.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wantboost
We've never really dealt internationally. the shipping charges, shipping insurance, and transit times are absurd as are customs fees and wait time to clear customs. not to mention the common occurrence of international parcels getting lost.

also, at least the last time I looked, American businesses can be taxed for overseas sales... a tax we can't collect from our customers so there's another added cost.
the problem is with businesses that don't want to do business with US military people stationed overseas, they charges us international rates for sending stuff to a US address. APO, AE. It is really stressful buying parts from the states while here because venders wanna be d@#s.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:51 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am not going to lie, I didn't really know what APO shipping was all about so I looked it up. Not as crazy as I thought it was pretty simple actually:

http://www.shipitapo.com/personal/apo_fpo_guide.php
Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

I'll go through hoops to ship to an APO/FPO/DPO. if anyone deserves parts it's those that are in other countries serving our country. I don't care if I lose money on shipping, it's worth it to me IMO.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

****. AFI has owed me fuel rail mounts for my manifold for years now and I never got my T-shirts from PeakBoost.

ALL MOTOR FOR LIFE
Old 05-08-2014, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ I had to buy my fuel rail kit from another guy who was selling his AFI intake manifold, mine never came with em LOL
Old 05-08-2014, 08:10 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeySpec
****. AFI has owed me fuel rail mounts for my manifold for years now and I never got my T-shirts from PeakBoost.

ALL MOTOR FOR LIFE
Do you have a shop anymore? I have PM'd you and tried calling your number to no avail. I have a couple cars I am interested in getting tuned by you if you are still in the business.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Afi built me a ram horn, downpipe with a recirc, smashed into everything and had no inclination to help me. The old owner of afi offered to fix it for free just to help me out.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by highroller54
Afi built me a ram horn, downpipe with a recirc, smashed into everything and had no inclination to help me. The old owner of afi offered to fix it for free just to help me out.
Explain. "smashed into everything".. Does that mean you got into an accident?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
Do you have a shop anymore? I have PM'd you and tried calling your number to no avail. I have a couple cars I am interested in getting tuned by you if you are still in the business.
He's constantly on the dyno, i'll let him know you're trying to get ahold of him.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan

Explain. "smashed into everything".. Does that mean you got into an accident?
Wow

Old 05-09-2014, 09:38 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Wow

worse than "u wot m8"

No wonder the Chinese laugh at us educationally.. from inexplicably ridiculous statements like this.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought to Brad last year my manifold from oversea.
The manifold got problem to fit and he sent me a brand new one.
After that I got boost creep problem and so I add a second 44mm Tial WG

I dealed with Brad, and I think he was a good guy.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't know they were out of business.

I am running an AFI T3 divided top mount manifold.

Got it from Brad when he just took over AFI like 2-3years ago. Never had a issue with it even with my EF chassis.

Quick Reply: AFI out of business?