Notices

AFC Required? What's the risk

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFC Required? What's the risk

I apologize now if this question has been answered elsewhere. I understand that when boosting your car a great deal of patience is required to say the least. But, I also believe in doing it yourself to gain the greatest appreciation for your vehicle. My question is this. As far as the A/F ratio controller. I get away without it for a few months without blowing the engine and how low should the boost be set to accomplish this. My car is an F22B2 running complete MSD ignition, NGK Iridium plugs, and the boost setup consists of a t3/4 hybrid, and treadstone FMIC, external wastegate yadda yadda. Your thoughts? Again i apologize i searched everywhere and could find nothing. If more info is required about my setup im more than happy to provide it. Oh yeah I also have a set of DSM 450cc injectors ready to go in as well, so factor that into the consideration. I have also heard of the ECU locking itself out over time....myth or fact?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AFC Required? What's the risk (accord2nrz)

Yes you would have to use some sort of fuel management for them DSM injectors. thee afc will work for a temp driveable time but highly recommend getting a better method of controlling the fuel.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you have a long way to go before you should boost your motor. My advice would be to find someone who has done it before on a few setups and learn all you can from them.

Checkout Trackmasters if you need someone in AL that can help you out with tunning and parts (Though I just noticed you live in south alabama so there is probably someone in montgomery which is closer). Make sure you know what you are doing as you can waste some cash quickly buying parts that are not very benificial.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AFC Required? What's the risk

Timing control is a major concern when using a fuel controller like an afc... rather a lack there of.

Not only do you not have any timing control with a fuel controller, when you skew the fuel maps you are also skewing the timing maps as well.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=137901
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=841443

Reading these 2 threads should help explain more.

Oh to add though, I ran an afc hack way back when I first went blown... I used it to just get by for a while till I could afford hondata (at the time). Well it did work but it is a little risky of course. I pulled alot of timing at the dizzy (which resulted in high egts) and ran more boost so I would have to do less skewing of the maps. I never hung in partial throttle boost, it was either full out WOT or staying in vaccuum. I never did any runs in high gear (top of 4th or 5th). ETC ETC.

Reading through those threads should give you a good understanding of why I did most of these things... there is a TON of information in them.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AFC Required? What's the risk (twkdCD595)

I appreciate the help. I got a couple of friends who have boosted just about anything on the planet so it looks like i'll have to get with them and we all do the install together. From what I hear though hondata is the best. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accord2nrz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I appreciate the help. I got a couple of friends who have boosted just about anything on the planet so it looks like i'll have to get with them and we all do the install together. From what I hear though hondata is the best. Any other suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>
There are many different options. The easiest and cheapest thing for you will be to get a chipped obd1 ecu and use a rom editor. You can use neptune/hondata/ectune/crome/uber/etc. There are a bunch of rom editors that will work out for your application. Just find a good tuner and use whatever they feel comfortable with.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AFC Required? What's the risk (SOHC_MShue)

Depending on what is available to you, as far as good tuners, as said above there are a good few number of management choices... I would make a decision according to the support for the system available to you.

I personally love the hondata I run and upgrading to the s300 from my s200b very soon.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AFC Required? What's the risk (twkdCD595)

LOL if you want to get rid of that s200 i'll take it off yer hands there. On the tuners issue...umm yeah...the ones around here suck ballz. The only ones worth a damn that i know of are in ATL.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:51 PM
ate my pixel

Hey OP, you've got PMs, I'm still trying to get rid of this cam gear if you want to trade, let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can make it work with an SAFC, as I have had boosted honda motor last over 20k that way, but you need some way of retarding timing ( MSD BTM ) because the AFC only tricks the computer into giving the engine more fuel, it will not retard timing in boost and you will detonate.