Notices

AFC Hack on NSX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFC (Hack?) on NSX?

Putting a Comptech supercharger on a friend's NSX soon and was looking at tuning options. The kit uses a voltage clamp and a rising rate FMU. I have seen a lot of dyno charts of cars with the kit installed and, while the A/F ratio is pretty good, it could use some minor tweaking. Would the AFC hack work with this setup? Or, should I just install the AFC normally? Wouldn't the voltage clamp interfere with it? I was thinking of losing the voltage clamp, installing larger injectors, keeping the FMU and running the hack - but I want to know if it will work before I tell him to buy it. The kit as I will install it runs about 8 psi.

Any thoughts/opinions are appriciated - I just don't have any experience with the AFC.

(BTW- did a search on the hack already and the info was helpful, but did not answer all the questions specific to this application)

Modified by Top Ramen at 11:42 PM 3/22/2004
Old 03-22-2004, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AFC Hack on NSX? (Top Ramen)

wow a 70K car and a ***** hack. hmmm priorities.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AFC Hack on NSX? (hybridvteceg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridvteceg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow a 70K car and a ***** hack. hmmm priorities.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A $26K car and a hack, fucktard - got anything useful to say? If you could pull your head far enough out of your *** to actually read the post, you would see that the kit works without ANY additional tuning. I am just looking for a way to tweak it a bit. Considered AEM, but it is way overkill for this.

Anyone who's not a ***** got anything to say?
Old 03-22-2004, 02:01 PM

well, how big are the nsx injectors...dont go out and buy some 450cc dsms, because it might be too small for a hack on a nsx...i am pretty sure it will work.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mattcalica)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattcalica &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, how big are the nsx injectors...dont go out and buy some 450cc dsms, because it might be too small for a hack on a nsx...i am pretty sure it will work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock injectors are pretty small - 240cc, I think. I was thinking of going to 370s or so. Remember that there are six injectors, not four. The stock blower kit uses the 240s and just bumps the fuel pressure.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Re: (Top Ramen)

well the hack blows im sorry. especially if you dont get it tuned. rig the afc normal, and get it tuned regularly, dont mess with it without proper tuning tools, or youre poking around in the dark.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybridvteceg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridvteceg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the hack blows im sorry. especially if you dont get it tuned. rig the afc normal, and get it tuned regularly, dont mess with it without proper tuning tools, or youre poking around in the dark.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would I not get it tuned? That would defeat the purpose of installing a tuning device, wouldn't it? It will be tuned on a dyno.

So rig the AFC normally? Will it function properly with a MAP voltage clamp?
Old 03-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

#1- NSX injectors are over 300cc, 340cc I belive.

#2- The first guy was absolutley right, a ghetto 'hack' on an exotic sports car is ghey. If you can afford an NSX, you can afford to do it the right way
Old 03-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VTC_CiViC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTC_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">#1- NSX injectors are over 300cc, 340cc I belive.

#2- The first guy was absolutley right, a ghetto 'hack' on an exotic sports car is ghey. If you can afford an NSX, you can afford to do it the right way </TD></TR></TABLE>

1) the stock injectors are 240cc - but thanks for posting false information.

2) If the AFC will work fine, how is it 'ghey'? He should spend another $1500 because you think the car is 'exotic'? I am talking about fuel corrections of about 5% - the AEM is waaaay overkill for that.

But, thanks for contributing nothing - that's what makes the Internet so damn much fun.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:44 PM

dont get mad just dont do the hack, rig the afc the proper way
Old 03-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Top Ramen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1) the stock injectors are 240cc - but thanks for posting false information.

2) If the AFC will work fine, how is it 'ghey'? He should spend another $1500 because you think the car is 'exotic'? I am talking about fuel corrections of about 5% - the AEM is waaaay overkill for that.

But, thanks for contributing nothing - that's what makes the Internet so damn much fun.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think everyone is saying that if you can afford a 26 thousand dollar car, and a 4000 dollar supercharger setup for it, why not spend 400 on hondata s200b? instead of 300 for some rigged up bullshit? you don't see any supras running around on the afc hack after they convert to a t72 do ya?

common man, just spend the extra couple hundred on a better setup and don't worry about the hassles with the hack.

i had a **** experience with the hack and there's no way in hell i'll run it on my ghetto integra, let alone a car that would be an extension of my weiner (nsx).

-ryan
Old 03-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybridvteceg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridvteceg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont get mad just dont do the hack, rig the afc the proper way</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wouldn't be irritated if someone would actually post something useful.

So, anyone want to actually contribute here? Will the AFC work with the voltage clamp?
Old 03-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tegasaurus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> why not spend 400 on hondata s200b?

-ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hondata won't run on an NSX. Again, if you're going to be a condescending, you might not want to keep posting stuff that is factually incorrect. Now, go away.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Top Ramen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hondata won't run on an NSX. Again, if you're going to be a condescending, you might not want to keep posting stuff that is factually incorrect. Now, go away.</TD></TR></TABLE>

mkay, well then why not AEM? **** its only 1000 for a used one or so.

but to answer your question, i have no idea why it wouldn't work. Logic tells me yes it should work with the voltage clamp, however the fuel adjustments you're going to be making wont be the normal -40 across the board.

And i'm also scepticle on the 240cc injectors on that motor. Preludes run 290 and have 2.2L for 4 injectors. why would 3.2L require only 6 240s?

527cc of fuel for every liter on the lude
533cc of fuel for every liter on a b18
450cc of fuel for every liter on the nsx

something doesn't seem right there
Old 03-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but then again some are peak and hold and others are saturated... i think the 90-93 3.0L nsx came with 330 saturated and the 94+ has 290 peak/hold... while that may not be right, im almost 100% sure they are not 240s.

insert foot here -&gt;
Old 03-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

mkay, well then why not AEM? **** its only 1000 for a used one or so.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The NSX version of the AEM is about $1,500 new. The early ones won't work right on an NSX (many tuners tried and had all kinds of hardware problems, they were only sorted out in the second batch), so a used one is not really an option. Find me one of the ten or so made in the second batch of NSX units for $1K and I will seriously consider it. I have a Motec on my nsx, but, again, if you read my posts, that is really overkill for this application. I just need to move the fuel curves about 5-10% (at most).

So, the consenus is to rig the AFC per the manual and not use the voltage clamp?
Old 03-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think the 90-93 3.0L nsx came with 330 saturated and the 94+ has 290 peak/hold... while that may not be right, im almost 100% sure they are not 240s.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just checked two sources - they are 240s. Even dug up the old report (six years old) from RC when they cleaned up my OEM injectors and they flowed 251ccs.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how bout you try it w/ the voltage clamp and w/out. im not familiar w/ the nsx by any means, but to me, sounds like a pretty simple thing to remove. butyea, if you're just looking to +- a few percentage points. i would for for the vafc.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:21 PM

ok i'm not totally sure what a voltage clamp is but i'll assume that its just a resistor that limits the amount of voltage that your map sees, if in fact that is what it is then i don't think the vafc will be compaitable w/ it because the hack needs to modify the map sensor voltage in order to function properly. i would think that just the hack alone would work. good luck
Old 03-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you really can't save up for the AEM, which would be best and allow maximum flexibility and potential for future upgrades/higher boost etc, I would just install the SAFCII normally, run injectors, and an upgraded fuel pump.

BTW the 91-95 Legend which also has a 3.2L V6 C series block, uses 250cc injectors.

-Imran
Old 03-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LeGeND4LiFe)

Kewl - larger injectors and install the AFC as per the manual without the voltage clamp.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:34 PM

lol @ stand alone being "over kill" with a boost application.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The answer is:

Yes.

isnt that what your waiting one someone to say. If nobody agrees with you then you might want to think about. Good luck with what ever you do, try homemadeturbo.com. Seem like your the type.

Nick
Old 03-22-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Re: (Rpc07)

sounds like that voltage clamp that you speak of is very similiar to the afc. That means you are going to get similiar drawbacks without the advantage of running large injectors. On top of that, you are going to have a higher fuel line pressure than if you used the hack.

I agree with others. I don't think the hack is well suited for a nsx. I was in LS-t with the hack setup and I didn't like it at all. I could never live with a setup like that.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default vafc hack

this is what i have to say:

if you can afford a 26 to 30 thousand dollar car, and a 4000 dollar supercharger, why not spend 400 on hondata? instead of 300 for some rigged up bullshit? like it say up there........

Quick Reply: AFC Hack on NSX?