Notices

AEM Wideband sensor question

Old 01-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEM Wideband sensor question

I am having some trouble trying to get accurate readings from my AEM wideband O2 sensor. I had a AEM sensor that I was using for at least over 2 years (93 octane and C16) and was reading 12.0-12.5 AFR's on C16 under WOT. I had to of taken out AT LEAST 12% fuel out of the whole high cam map and it was still reading 12.0-12.5. I bought a new sensor because my old sensor started reading a constant 14.7-15.2 AFR. I figured that it finally **** the bed. Once I put my new sensor (same AEM o2 with NO changes to my map) the first and second pass at the track the WHOLE data logs read 10.6-10.8 AFR the WHOLE 1/4. My question is was my wideband actually shot the whole time I had it before and now my NEW 02 sensor is reading correctly? The first 2 passes at the track it was breaking up and I had a fresh set of plugs with my new 02 sensor.. the only thing I can think of it's now running so RICH that it's causing the misfire?
Old 01-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: AEM Wideband sensor question

Take it out and put it in a rag soaked with brake cleaner. If the wideband goes all the way lean it it should be working. If it doesnt somethings up. Call AEM
Old 01-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Or try to find another wideband to compare, maybe your tuner has a wideband for the dyno
Old 01-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure he used mine, I could be wrong though. I didn't see anything on the exhaust pipe during the tuning session. Does the AEM wideband sensor need to be calibrated when installing a new one?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

No the sensors themselves are calibrated.
Do you have the newer gauge where the harness between the sensor and gauge is removable? If so I would check the pins at both ends. There could be some junk on a contact causing a resistance our continuity problem.

Regardless it would also be a good idea to run the length of the wiring harness, there could be a crimp or bare spot causing a problem.

My aem wideband randomly had the harness o2 connector disintegrate. Wasn't near a heat source or anything but when it did the o2 side fell out and melted on my downpipe fml
Old 01-29-2015, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by DA 4 Lyfe
I'm pretty sure he used mine, I could be wrong though. I didn't see anything on the exhaust pipe during the tuning session. Does the AEM wideband sensor need to be calibrated when installing a new one?
Every AEM product I've used that was purchased brand new malfunctioned on me from there cop conversion, AEM v2 Ems to there fail safe afr gauge! Recently the fail safe afr gauge was the last item I had and it failed, I sent it to AEM and they tested the gauge and it was faulty they repaired it but I sold it after, I'm now using the new innovate mix-l afr gauge it's the most accurate and easiest to instal cause there's less wiring involved and it works great gl. I'm willing to bet its malfunctioned on you.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the pot **** on the inside where you change the modes is also very fragile. I broke mine off and had to have a friend resolder a new one in
Old 01-29-2015, 02:50 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

They've had a lot of issues, especially with the wideband stuff. Even when mine did work it had issues.

I'll be running either an mtx-l from innovative or an NGK AFX. We've had great luck with the AFX on the Z06. Thousands of track miles, various fuels including oxygenated and leaded race gas, methanolinjection, etc and not a single issue, still using the original sensor too.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm just a little skeptical about trusting my new sensor. For some reason my gut is telling me something is not right. I know my sensor before the new one **** the bed but the AFR's seemed to be pretty dead on before it failed. I'm doing a new fuel system on the car and plan to tune it at the track but don't want to hurt anything with having a faulty o2 sensor
Old 01-29-2015, 04:03 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

When in doubt replace it.

What's cheaper? A new motor or a new wideband?

Personally after my experiences with aem and those of others I won't use any aem products. The only reason I'm using my aem series 1 30-1000 ems is I basically got it for free and it's one of the rare series 1 boxes that doesn't have the input/output noise problem. plus it's going on the low power for fun project.

Zeitronix, Innovative, and NGK all have great widebands, especially since innovative introduced their digital technology. Only thing about the NGK AFX is there isn't a gauge display. The display is built into the box which can make mounting the display within viewing range a bit tricky. Granted the box isn't that big.

The cool thing about zeitronix is they have a small 2"x1' LCD display readout for their widebands and ethanol content analyzer that you can mount anywhere, like within the stock cluster. Although they have an audio/visual failsafe warning systemthat will monitor set parameters and can trigger an output to lower boost levels, cut ignition, lower rev limit, etc.

Led display

Zeitronix Hacker/Tweaker Display : Mini-AFR Display

Video in action

There are also intake install photos on the main page

Failsafe

Zeitronix ZAVT-1 : Zeitronix Audio Visual Alarm/Trigger, Relay, Installation Diagram and Warnings Setup

Personally I'll be using the zeitronix in my SVT so I can mount the led display somewhere in the two stock gauge clusters and free up some space fit another gauge since space is at a premium to begin with. Mounting the display below the tachometer like shown in the video makes iteasy to see and easy to monitorrpm vs afr if you aren't datalogging.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditch that AEM and get a PLX. Much quicker responding sensor and control box. Gives you way better data when logging. The Aem is slow and they always have issues. You can get the plx with the dm6 gauge for around 200 bucks. Zietronics and NGK are also great units.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im trying to determine if its worth money to upgrade from my current PLX M300 (its almost 10 years old). It works fine, but I can justify better data collection. I also like the feature on the MTX that changes gauge color depending on AFR

Old 01-30-2015, 06:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Replacement aem sensors are on amazon for 50 bucks just an fyi

Mine works fine
Old 01-30-2015, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Replacement aem sensors are on amazon for 50 bucks just an fyi

Mine works fine
You can get them from Autozone for ~$45 too. Just have them look up an 05 Jettia GLI, or somewhere around there. The OEM sensor is a wideband. Lifetime warranty too...

Last edited by LightningTeg; 01-30-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the AEM wideband on 3 different vehicles. They all work great!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wantboost
No the sensors themselves are calibrated.
Do you have the newer gauge where the harness between the sensor and gauge is removable? If so I would check the pins at both ends. There could be some junk on a contact causing a resistance our continuity problem.

Regardless it would also be a good idea to run the length of the wiring harness, there could be a crimp or bare spot causing a problem.

My aem wideband randomly had the harness o2 connector disintegrate. Wasn't near a heat source or anything but when it did the o2 side fell out and melted on my downpipe fml
Since when are the sensors calibrated?
The good WB02 units do a free air calibration which nulls out the electronics because every sensor is different.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:06 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Aem claims there's a resistor in the sensor plug that "calibrates" the sensor or some bullshit like that
Old 01-30-2015, 12:07 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Because the aem doesn't have a user calibration feature whatsoever, hence the sensor thingy.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Because the aem doesn't have a user calibration feature whatsoever, hence the sensor thingy.
It's in the controller I think
Old 01-30-2015, 03:51 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I seem to recall it's in the sensor because the gauge will always associate the voltages with what it's programmed to. It's the sensors that can be off a bit from one to the next. If you look at the aem sensor there's a hump on one side of they plug and that's where they say the resistor Or whatever is
Old 01-31-2015, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to keep the AEM wideband for now. I will just swap out sensors to make sure mine is reading correctly. If the sensor is reading accurate then I went a whole season running RICH AS FAWK (10.6-10.8 AFR on C16) and found my ignition issue
Old 01-31-2015, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Watch this for how to test:
Old 02-01-2015, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tepid1
Watch this for how to test:
AEM Wideband Test - YouTube
Solid video. My car will be at Steve's this month for the fuel system install. I'm sure he already knows this procedure but I will still run it by him. Thanks for sharing Chris.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

That's an ingenious testing method. If you look in the video that hump on one side of the sensor plug is where they claim the resistor or whatever is.

IIRC isn't the aem sensor just some oem Bosch Volkswagen sensor?
Old 02-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

The Bosch replacement part number is 17018. Just like AEMs typical business practice of simply property rights and relabeling other people's products (literally almost everything they sell) they just take an existing part and jack up the price. Typically you pay extra just for an aem logo but with the sensors they just order at steep discount, repackage it, and shoot the price over the original manufacturers retail price.

One hell of a business model... I guess everyone else that makes their own products is doing it wrong lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AEM Wideband sensor question