Notices

Advice on setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on setup

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some advice on this turbo setup im planning on buying. Some of the stuff im not sure if i need and some stuff im not sure which would be the best option. The car is a 98 Civic coupe which has a 99 B18B1 motor and 00 GSR tranny. Planning 10psi daily and 15 psi occasionally for 1/4 mile. aiming for 240tq at the wheels.

Here is what i have planned so far, any comments, advice or changes are welcome.

-T3/To4e 57 or 50 Trim garrett turbow ith .63ar
-log style manifold
-2.5" DP
-Dumptube
-38mm TiAL WG
-350hp Precision IC
-Greddy Type-RS, HKS SSQV or Tial BOV?
-440cc injectors
-Oil feed/return lines
-silicone couplers, hose and clamps
-K&N filter
-DEFI Heads up display for boost, rpm and speedo
-hondata S200b or NepTune?
-MBC?
-2.5" IC Piping
-Walboro high-flow fuel pump (in-tank)
-AEM FPR
-AEM fuel rail
-2.5" or 3" DP back exhaust?
-Clutchmaster Stage 3 clutch?
-1 step colder NGK plugs?

TIA
Old 12-09-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Advice on setup (scarlemthug)

its all preferance,
bov: ssq and tial are both goodshit
manifolds spoolinperformance.com makes a good log, or revhard or inline4
You might need bigger injectors those might reach max cycle (550's exleast)
get oil line kit from Flamco (fastturbo.com)
get the k&n filter ru-3700
You dont need a fpr or a fuel rail stock will work fine (inless your a baller)
Hondata is great
yea get the ngks 7 2 steps colder
exhaust 3in kteller.com
yea, get a clutch. research that thoguh maybe get a flywheel while your at it. act/clutchmasters/exedy etc etc

Also find a shop that will tune good, also u wont be able to run with the upgraded fuel pump and injectors if your upgrading froms tock, u need to put those in before you tune.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Advice on setup (Maverik4k)

Thanks for the reply

ive heard the TiAL and it was nice, never heard the SSQ but im sure both are nice units. Got a link for an SSQV sound clip?

The manifold im getting from hyper performance, basic log style mani with turbo mounted in the center.

You think the 440's will reach max cycle at 300whp? there's no difference in price i dont think between the 440's and 550's or do i need to go with saturated with the 550's?

The oil line kit is included in the kit, hopefully its the same as the flamenco stuff

Is that product number the 3" K&N filter?

Figured FPR and fuel rail werent necessary, saves me a bit of money for other stuff

I am fine with going with hondata but ive read a bit on neptune and im hoping i can get the car down to NJ to have it tuned by jeff (boosted-hybrid) as i dont trust most of the tuners up here in toronto.

so heat range 7's not 8's for the plugs?

Exhaust i was thinking Kteller for sure, should i do 2.5" because the DP is only 2.5" or does he sell gradual pieces that will go from 2.5 to 3"? This is a daily driven car so im thinign 18" resonator? Not sure what muffler or cat to go with either?

As for the clutch im looking for info on action clutches but havent found a site or anything?

Im looking at the ACT extreme clutch i think it is, clutchmasters stage 3....not sure what model from exedy would be good. For the flywheel i know ill need to get one, just not sure how light i should go as i heard really light ones are bad for turbo? Maybe fidanza or pro street flywheel?

Old 12-09-2004, 01:39 PM

if your looking to get 240tq or 300whp definitely consider at least 550cc injectors, you could even go bigger if you wanted to allow yourself a little growing room, as far as saturated vs peak/hold you can use either. Saturated will be plug and play, if you use peak/hold you need to use a resistor box

with the exhaust I wouldn't worry to much about noise, my roomate and I both have 3in kteller exhaust with no cat or resonater and they are pretty quite driving on the free way/around town...quieter than most non turbo hondas with cat-backs.

I have had ALOT of clutches from ACT, excedy, clutchmaster etc... and I've been most happy with my current set-up of the ACT streetlight flywheel(12.5lbs i think?)
and clutchmasters six puck sprung disc. Vey good pedal feel with just the right amount of grab, enough to feel solid without causing excesive wear to the transmission

great questions
Old 12-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah im aiming for around 240+ tq, more if i can get it outta 10psi. I guess i will go with 550 injectors as i cant remember what the largest saturated injector is right now.

As far as the exhaust if I could have it sound almost like stock or something like an Apexi WS which is almost like stock cruising but sounds nice at WOT. I just dont wanna get hassled for a loud exhaust and personally i would rather listen to the engine and turbo than an exhaust note.

So you used a 12.5lb flywheel with a clutchmaster six puck? The car is going to be daily driven so i wanna have something thats gonna grab really nice but also not alot of chatter etc. Do you not think the stage 3 from clutchmasters would be good enough, rated for 110% above stock i believe. For the flywheel i was thinking anywhere from 10-12.5lbs would be good.

neone got a link for a sound clip of the SSQV?
Old 12-09-2004, 04:09 PM

if you want to get a close to stock sounding exhaust you should plumb your wastgate dump into the exhaust and use the resonater. If you do those two things you could even use a 3in straight through muffler and that should still give you the sound your looking for.

the six puck that i'm running now from cluchmasters has a very smooth engagement. I used to run an unsprung six puck from ACT and it had horrible chatter when taking off from a stop, after that I tried their sprung six puck and it was considerably better but still had a little chatter. The clutchmasters is hands down better than those two for street driving, but I did like how firm they were as far as pedal feel and engagement. If your not looking to push your car hard at the track and want to keep it at or under 300whp the cm stage 3 should do its job, but any more than that you might want to consider something a little beefier....it will save you money and headaches in the long run.
p.s. a friend of mine is running the same clutch setup as I am in his 600whp/10.30 hatch...he has had no problems and he's had it in over a year....something to think about
Old 12-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the WG dumptube wont be plumbed back in but i think i will try and run a 3" exhaust with a 18 or 22" resonator and hopefully that will keep the noise down alot.

What do you think of the stage 4 clutch from clutchmasters? http://www.clutchmasters.com/s...ID=91. I cant seem to find a six puck clutch on there site.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT for more help
Old 12-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know people on here have strong opinions so come on and help me build an awesome setup
Old 12-10-2004, 10:31 AM

You'll also wanna pick up a gm 3 bar map sensor for anything over about 11 psi
Old 12-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yeah i forgot about that, i guess ill need one because i may run more than 10 psi
Old 12-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aight so here is the revised list

-T3/To4e 57 or 50 Trim garrett turbow ith .63ar
-log style manifold
-2.5" DP
-Dumptube
-38mm TiAL WG
-350hp Precision IC
-Greddy Type-RS or HKS SSQV? Which is a better unit?
-550 or 650cc injectors?
-Oil feed/return lines
-silicone couplers, hose and clamps
-K&N filter ru-3700
-DEFI Heads up display for boost, rpm and speedo
-hondata S200b or NepTune?
-MBC?
-2.5" IC Piping
-Walboro 255lph (in-tank)
-2.5 - 3" high flo cat, 18" long 3" resonator, 3" exhaust and muffler
-Clutchmaster Stage 3 or 4 clutch?
-2 step colder NGK plugs?

Old 12-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so my clutch officially is done so now i need to upgrade even before i have my turbo setup.

I am looking at about $950CDN for a fidanza flywheel and clutchmasters stage 3 or 4 clutch, how does that sound?