Notices

Advice for LS-Vtec turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for LS-Vtec turbo setup

I've looked around at some of the other LS-Vtec setups on the site, a few of them look like what im running, but im not 100% sure since there are little differences. Im thinking about boosting my setup, but am not sure because of the compression... Some guy told me to just shoot it with nitrous (typical v8... lol) and others have said itd be fine with boost, some say they dont like high end boost others have no problems with them. Think theres a boosted del sol? (deslo) that is running high compression pistons with boost making good power. Would it be better just to pull the motor out and get some 9:1 comp pistons and boost that way? (money factor is holding me back...) Or would my setup be fine?

So the low down, my setup is as listed below. ANY and ALL info (constructive please) would be much appreciated. Feel free to let me know of ideas for turbo setup, what YOU would do and please explain why. Thank you!

IF there is someone on the forum who is very knowledgable, point me in their direction so I can ask them some questions! Im learning about boosting, but hearing other peoples insite and experiences helps!

First the head is a B16b type r head:
Fully port and polished, bronze valve guides, Type r cams, skunk 2 intake mani w/ ported inlet and runners, 68mm Billet throttle body, CTR cam gears, Port Flow springs and retainers

Block is a B18b1 bottom end:
Sleeved by rs machine open deck 84.5 mm 2.0, Cp pistons 10.3 compression, Manley turbo tuff rods, acl race bearings, Micro polished crank, Balanced and blue printed, Type r oil pump, Type r water pump

Also:
Ls crank pulley, Golden eagle ls vtec kit, Gsr timing belt, Type r alternator, Ls distributor modified for vtec head, Gsr wire harness modified for type r

Again, thank you in advance!

Steve
Old 09-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Advice for LS-Vtec turbo setup

your motor setup is fine............ is this a street, track, or street/track setup. btw your motor can handle 550+ hp, it's up to you how much money you can spend on your turbo setup and in someways I cant help you, cause im a 57/60 trim turbo fan.......
Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car would be streetable, but also for the track come weekends. Hoping to net around 450whp, even though I would be completely satisfied with 450hp to the crank.

Really looking for a kit (no ebay kits)... Something around the $1500 mark, if I can get by with a little less or a little more I can deal with that, but im not looking to have a car that makes over 600whp.. Would like to be able to do this on pump gas as well. Would it also be smarter to go with hondata instead of chipping my p28 for boost? Or would the p28 be fine?
If anyone can link me kits they have or may have seen that fit what I'm looking to do i would much appreciate it.

Thanks again

Steve
Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Helpful insite is much appreciated!

Thanks H-t!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Most cheap 450whp turbos will be $650-800 alone. A 60trim or 60-1 would barely be enough, but the cheapest options - unless you get a used Holset. Then you have injectors, ems, intake & exhaust piping, couplers & clamps, manifold, oil lines, intercooler etc. Realisticly you need another $1000 for all the parts you don't have yet.

As for the pistons, I want to say Tony the Tiger had ~10:1 cr, and he was over 400whp with a streetable GSR. It was a GT2871R before he started playing "musical turbos".
Old 09-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice!!

If anyone knows of any kits minus the turbo let me know!
Thinking about going the S6262 route =P

NUMBERS SOON!