Notices

ACT XTSS squeals when starting off-Anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ACT XTSS squeals when starting off-Anyone else have this problem?

It grabs fine when I dump it or shift hard, but starting off on a hill, for instance, makes an annoying whirring, squealing, burning tire type noise. I'm starting to hate this clutch. It's embarassing. My car sounds like a piece of ****. Unless I'm starting off on a relatively flat surface and baby it, or just dump it, it squeals. People I've spoken with have heard of this problem with the 4 and 6 puck clutches, but not with the organic. Even though he never heard this noise before, my mechanic told me to launch it hard a few times (a break-in procedure I've heard mentioned for the non-organic clutches), but the problem still exists. Is there a solution to this?
Old 07-19-2003, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ACT XTSS squeals when starting off-Anyone else have this problem? (The Dude)

Hopefully ACTman sees this and can provide some insight. I've installed a few ACT clutches and have only had this exact problem with one car. This is on a 92 JDM B16 motor/tranny. It seems to do this more during cold weather, but will still make the same noise when it's hot outside on occassion. I've never had any problems with ACT clutches, i run a 6 puck/Extreme disk in my car and it does just fine. The one i installed on the B16 was a Street disk/Heavy duty press. plate. It grabs just fine and doesn't slip, just makes that squealling noise every so often.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT XTSS squeals when starting off-Anyone else have this problem? (The Dude)

I got the same problem with my prelude, now it start slipping in first gear. I got HDSS though.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT XTSS squeals when starting off-Anyone else have this problem? (25 PSI CRX)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=545124

i love the clutch too, but damn its pissing me off, my car sounds like its 30 years old.. a bit different than your problem, but yeah.. it sounds like a cricket 24 7, its not just off the start..
Old 07-21-2003, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT XTSS squeals when starting off-Anyone else have this problem? (JDEM1)

I don't know what to do! I spoke with ACTman through IM and he suggested asking this question in the forums. He's the head tech at ACT and if you call ACT and ask them about this, they'll turn around and ask ACTman! Although he's heard of this problem, he has no idea what it could be.

Why me? If no one knows what this could possibly be, do you think you could just shoot me and take my car, strip it and burn it to the ground? I'm so sick of spending piles of money on this thing only to have the parts I put on screw up! You know the end is near when you wish you'd bought a Mustang. I'm ready to grow a mullet, what do you think?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i haev never heard of that before, the usual complaint isd the clutch pedal squeaking when you let off it , which mine does occasionally, and i got used to .
as far as the clutch itself squeaking ,a re you asure everything was clean when you installed it. how long has it been on . take the tranny off and check it out worst to worst, mines been on close to 3 years now and sure its taken more abuse thne alot of peoples here and mine is still like new when i took it off to build the motor. its going back in almost liek new
Old 07-21-2003, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT XTSS squeals when starting off-Anyone else have this problem? (itr206)

I have the exact same problem when I launch from first gear...it happens only sometimes...usually when I am slipping it...I am pretty sure its the throw out bearing...I figured I would swap it out for a Honda one next time I pull the tranny...for now it is going to have to stay since I am not going to pull the tranny again until I need to!!

PS...Funny thing happened the other day...I was making a turn next to a cop and it made that noise....I was thinking...**** all I need is this cop to pull me over because he thinks I peeled out from the stop sign
Old 07-21-2003, 12:52 PM

Same thing happens to me and a friend of mine...Seems to be only when its humid out...Runs and grabs fine tho
Old 07-21-2003, 04:34 PM
No Sales Forums

i haVE A HD PLATE AND 4 PUCK AND EVERYTIME I TAKE OFF ON FIRST GEAR I HEAR THE FREAKING NOISE
Old 07-21-2003, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT XTSS squeals when starting off-Anyone else have this problem? (AllVersionSi)

It's not your release bearing, I've installed several ACT clutches and about 90% of them do that. You get a chirping/screeching type noise right when the clutch engages with the pp, always in first gear, it's normal, get used to it, my guess is it has something to do with the lining on the disc reacting with the pp.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT XTSS squeals when starting off-Anyone else have this problem? (Jared)

Well, even though this is annoying, it's good to know that I'm not the only one and that this is probably just a characteristic of this clutch. It's strange that I didn't find any posts about this before I bought the clutch. I've heard mostly good things about ACT clutches, and only thought that this happened with the 4 and 6 puck designs.

itr206, I didn't install the clutch myself but the people who put it in have installed tons of clutches so I'm sure they know the importance of the surfaces being clean. I asked ACTman a while ago if grease on the flywheel would cause this problem and he said no.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are all of you guys using the ACT throwout and pilot bearings? I am willing to bet it one of those two making the noises!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT XTSS squeals when starting off-Anyone else have this problem? (1fastVX)

i used all axct stuff even though my stock one only had like 6k on it. like i said mine grabs and looks like its new and now 43k on the car. so thats like 37k of 7-7500 rpm drops on slicks and severe severe daily beating .
Old 07-22-2003, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT XTSS squeals when starting off-Anyone else have this problem? (1fastVX)

Actually, In the last 6 months, I've done two b series installs with the 4 puck disk and xtreme pressure, one used honda bearings, the other used ACT, and they both did it.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACT XTSS squeals when starting off-Anyone else have this problem? (Jared)

Thanks for the help Jared!
Old 07-24-2003, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm thats wierd mine doesnt do that....i guess i got lucky. only thing i gotta say about the xtss is that the engaement is kinda high....
Old 07-25-2003, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Dude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the help Jared!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anytime