Notices

ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road?

Whats the beef with these bearings... i hear good and bad... so like usual... does it just come down to who did the sizing and assembly? we all know an engine is only as good as the person who built it...

let me know, Kinda worried.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road? (wade)

Wade, I put the same bearings in my block when I was building it, later did I find out some people had problems. I too am a little bit worried but I know everything was done to spec so we will just have to see I guess. People that put motors together and do not know what they are doing spin any kind of bearing out there, so Im curious if it has been proven that the bearings do not last or installation errors are playing a part. A guy here had a built b16b used honda bearing for the crank and ACL race for the rod. He spun a bearing after 1000 miles, I about **** myself because I was worried it was the ACL but it wasnt it was the honda crank bearing and due to the engine builder not properly boring the motor.

Modified by Rspec CX at 11:20 AM 10/7/2006
Old 10-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road? (Rspec CX)

thanks, bump for more info
Old 10-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road? (wade)

I have run these bearings in several street motors. The motors have well over 10k miles by now and are frequently at the local strip. No bearing issues as of yet. I have almot always used ACL bearings in my builds and have yet to have any complaints about them.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Re: ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road? (Rspec CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rspec CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wade, I put he same bearings in my block when I was building it, later did I find out some people had problems. I too am a little bit worried but I know everything was done to spec so we will just have to see I guess. People that put motors together and do not know what they are doing spin any kind of bearing out there, so Im curious if it has been proven that the bearings do not last or installation errors are playing a part. A guy here had a built b16b used honda bearing for the crank and ACL race for the rod. He spun a bearing after 1000 miles, I about **** myself because I was worried it was the ACL but it wasnt it was the honda crank bearing and due to the engine builder not properly boring the motor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

spinning a bearing due to poor boring? how?
Old 10-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road? (B18C Turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spinning a bearing due to poor boring? how?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The place he took it to did not use a deck plate on the block which caused the bore to be off center you can tell by looking at the block now standing above it. This was in turn causing the stroke of one of the cylinders to be at an angle and Im guessing putting stress on that journal of the crank. The machining company also took off 8 lbs from his flywheel...that could have something to do with it as well....stupid mistakes dealing with shops we have around indiana!!
Old 10-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how many times I have said this....

999 out of 1000 bearing failures are caused by builder error
The brand of bearing has NOTHING to do with its failure
Old 10-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road? (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not sure how many times I have said this....

999 out of 1000 bearing failures are caused by builder error
The brand of bearing has NOTHING to do with its failure</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now if you could only get people to listen to this...
Old 10-07-2006, 02:05 AM
NooB

Default Re: ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road? (Hybrid93Eg)

well see im gonna us these.ive always used oem honda and never had problems.Now gonna buy thse because cheaper so hope they work.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rspec CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The place he took it to did not use a deck plate on the block which caused the bore to be off center you can tell by looking at the block now standing above it. This was in turn causing the stroke of one of the cylinders to be at an angle and Im guessing putting stress on that journal of the crank. The machining company also took off 8 lbs from his flywheel...that could have something to do with it as well....stupid mistakes dealing with shops we have around indiana!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

who told you that ,a torqe plate it not used for that and to bore a block on a angle is really hard to do considering how a boring bar centers its self.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road? (gsrt nick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrt nick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

who told you that ,a torqe plate it not used for that and to bore a block on a angle is really hard to do considering how a boring bar centers its self. </TD></TR></TABLE>

get em killa !!!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road? (gsrt nick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrt nick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who told you that ,a torqe plate it not used for that and to bore a block on a angle is really hard to do considering how a boring bar centers its self. </TD></TR></TABLE>

All I know is what the machine shop told him, it was the first honda block they had ever done. And they said it was obvious the bore was egged from the machining services and not from anything else, when measured at the very top of the sleeved the bore is off centered as well. So Im not sure exactly how it happened since Im not a machinist but it happened I can tell you that. They offered to build him a new block...... he said no because of their mistakes the first time and just ordered a k20r.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road? (dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get em killa !!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, get me killa!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:32 AM

ACL is an OEM bearing manufacturer for alot of domestic companies. Its not like they are 3 guys in their back yard pounding out bearings with a hammer. They are awesome--and then you consider how much cheaper they are. You just have to get your clearances right.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Running boost can easily egg shape, balloon out or taper an OEM sleeve. You do not need a deck plate to bore an OEM Honda cylinder properly. If the cylinders were screwed up that bad after the bore, the machinist would have to be a complete hack.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road? (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Running boost can easily egg shape, balloon out or taper an OEM sleeve. You do not need a deck plate to bore an OEM Honda cylinder properly. If the cylinders were screwed up that bad after the bore, the machinist would have to be a complete hack.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Car was NA, had 500 miles on it pulled head off and cylinders looked like ****, basically the guys had no clue what they were doing, they build nothing but sprint car motors. Fact of the matter is I was worried it would have been the acl RACE bearing but it was the oem honda which made me feel better because when he called and said he spun a bearing I was literally in the garage ready to pull my motor out before I even had it running. But I totally agree no matter what bearing, bearing failure is 99% a problem with something other than the bearings inproper installation or other machining problems, but a few spun bearings can give something a bad rep which is what I have seen with the ACL RACE bearings.

Anyways back on topic, we are talking about the ACL RACE bearings (no coating) here not just the normal ACL bearings that most people have ran in their setups. I have ran normal ACL bearings in many builds and never had a problem
Old 10-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rspec CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyways back on topic, we are talking about the ACL RACE bearings (no coating) here not just the normal ACL bearings that most people have ran in their setups. I have ran normal ACL bearings in many builds and never had a problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I think we are all well aware of what bearings you are talking about. Its also in caps in your title.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road? (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I think we are all well aware of what bearings you are talking about. Its also in caps in your title. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I didnt start the topic buddy...... I was just making sure any topic I have seen everyone is just saying how good ACL bearings are which everyone knows but most people have no experience with the actual "race" version. If you have over 10,000 miles on a motor with these bearings I think that will make both Wade and I a lot more at ease.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rspec CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, I didnt start the topic buddy...... I was just making sure any topic I have seen everyone is just saying how good ACL bearings are which everyone knows but most people have no experience with the actual "race" version. If you have over 10,000 miles on a motor with these bearings I think that will make both Wade and I a lot more at ease.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see you edited the "smartass" response you originally posted. lol. I wasn't trying to be a smartass here, just trying to say that I think these people are well aware that this topic is about the RACE bearings... and yes, those are they ones I used.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:40 AM

I'm running the race bearings because they were the correct thickness I needed. I've got a few thousand hard miles on it, and still running strong
Old 10-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see you edited the "smartass" response you originally posted. lol. I wasn't trying to be a smartass here, just trying to say that I think these people are well aware that this topic is about the RACE bearings... and yes, those are they ones I used.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I figured I wouldnt stoop to the levels of arguing like most of the people on this website tend to do. But anyways, that gives me a little peace of mind that someone has had good luck with the bearings, I think a lot of people have missconceptions towards them. I thought they were supposed to be better and last longer for our setups if put into propper specs and such. I know just about everytime I have had to pull apart a motor you can see some sort of bunching of the coating on all the other bearings whether it be oem or acl, and from what I first read when these came out that was the whole purpose was to get rid of the basically "cosmetic" silver coating so that this does not take place. Is that correct??? Im running 10w40 oil in my car right now just to be safe though since I have read a few things that this will help.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:32 PM

i got 600 miles so far on my ACL race bearings
Old 10-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The main difference between race bearings and regular acl's is the race bearings are made from a harder material. That is what the "H" stands for in the part #. Whether the bearing has a cosmetic coating or not is inconsequential.
The harder bearing can take more abuse but since it is harder, any particles going thru the engine can hurt the crank rather than in-bedding into the bearing.
BTW, the "X" in the part number means Xtra clearance.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:40 PM

Im running ACL Race bearings in my poor mans R. So far 12k miles and no problems.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is a DD car of mine, i hope they last over 70K miles

Quick Reply: ACL RACE bearings in my built GSR engine...troubles later down the road?