Notices

91 C-Rex Si B16a turbo coming together

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 C-Rex Si B16a turbo coming together

Please don't shred me for not having all the answers. I have not the time, nor the skill to put together a boosted setup; so I'm leaving in the hands of a trusted mechanic. Progress is slow (he works full time besides doing this too) and I will not rush him. Using good parts, he welded everything so pretty. JDM B16a, log mani, Tial this and that, Garrett disco potato turbo, 3" stainless exhaust, one resonator, giant magnaflow 3" muffler (trying for no rasp and not too loud). Battery is relocated to the back, traction bars, better brakes and AEM wideband and boost gauges. I will try and answer questions as well as I can. The engine is tight and stock. I am not looking to break 300hp; just have a real fun daily commuter....my traffic assassin. And please excuse the slow rate of updates if you plan to follow, it's just not being banged out in a weekend. Oh, and of course upgraded fuel pump and that stuff too.
Attached Images      
Old 06-28-2016, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: 91 C-Rex Si B16a turbo coming together

Looks good so far
Old 06-28-2016, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you tuning with? The tune is the most important part of the build. Looks great so far.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
What are you tuning with? The tune is the most important part of the build. Looks great so far.

I asked if I should do Hondata or something like that, but he said it will tune fine with the aftermarket ecu I have with the goals I have...not sure what it is, sorry.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:17 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Is it an aftermarket ECU, or an aftermarket engine management system?

If it's something that is an oem ECU that is "chipped", then no that is not acceptable for tuning for your particular goals.

But if it is something that allows for the alteration of the ignition and fuel parameters, either real-time or by way of an EPPROM system, than it is more likely ok. You need to know what the he'll it is you're running, otherwise this list of stuff you showing us will be useless.

It's in your best interest to be involved in your own process. We can't do that for you.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:26 PM
No Big Whoop

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it odd that he is dumping the waste gate towards the front of the car. That's going to be an unnecessary 90 degree bend.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Is it an aftermarket ECU, or an aftermarket engine management system?

If it's something that is an oem ECU that is "chipped", then no that is not acceptable for tuning for your particular goals.

But if it is something that allows for the alteration of the ignition and fuel parameters, either real-time or by way of an EPPROM system, than it is more likely ok. You need to know what the he'll it is you're running, otherwise this list of stuff you showing us will be useless.

It's in your best interest to be involved in your own process. We can't do that for you.
I just talked to him and it will be through EPROM. Like I said, I don't know too much about this stuff, still reading and learning and such. I'm trying to do it right, with quality parts, but it's all new to me, and due to our work schedules being totally opposite, I'm not able to hang with him while he's putting it all together and learn that way. Hopefully on my next build, I will get to be more hands on...well, I will make it a point to be. Next is the catch can, bigger injectors and the recirc waste gate dump tube.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by VooDuuChild
I just talked to him and it will be through EPROM. Like I said, I don't know too much about this stuff, still reading and learning and such. I'm trying to do it right, with quality parts, but it's all new to me, and due to our work schedules being totally opposite, I'm not able to hang with him while he's putting it all together and learn that way. Hopefully on my next build, I will get to be more hands on...well, I will make it a point to be. Next is the catch can, bigger injectors and the recirc waste gate dump tube.
Catch can can be last, and you don't need too have 2 bungs welded into the valve cover. Fuel pump goes with larger injectors, and recirculating the waste dump should only be done with the proper angle available, otherwise you'll cause unnecessary exhaust turbulence downstream.. If it's noise you're worried about, remember that the full only opens one the gate opens, which means you won't hear it at lower throttle levels on the street
Old 06-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Catch can can be last, and you don't need too have 2 bungs welded into the valve cover. Fuel pump goes with larger injectors, and recirculating the waste dump should only be done with the proper angle available, otherwise you'll cause unnecessary exhaust turbulence downstream.. If it's noise you're worried about, remember that the full only opens one the gate opens, which means you won't hear it at lower throttle levels on the street

When he did the engine swap, he did my fuel pump as the OEM was taking a dump, so that is good to go already thankfully. As for the recirc waste dump, that is definitely to keep the sound down. He is making the dump by hand and I'm sure it will flow correctly; he's built many very higher end setups before and they always perform and are cleanly installed. Compared to the builds he's done in the past when he had his own shop, my car is a very basic setup. Nothing super fancy, stock block and low power numbers to keep the engine happy. Like I said, I'm still learning all this stuff...most of my stuff in the past has been heavy metal, my 65 Fairlane 500 and 92 Wrangler (and others, lol)...much more basic stuff.
Attached Images   
Old 06-28-2016, 03:37 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

But what tuning software? All stock ecu tuning solutions are EEPROM based basically but they aren't all equally created
Old 06-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
But what tuning software? All stock ecu tuning solutions are EEPROM based basically but they aren't all equally created
Oh, sorry, he'll be using Chrome.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:28 PM

I think I'll stop here. He obviously knows exactly the proper angle needed to recirculate properly on turbocharged setups. I guess there's no point in going any further since he has all the answers (without having answers at the same time. ). We'll simply wait for the results and hopefully VooDuuChild will be happy as a clam.

Good luck to him. Moving on.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I'll stop here. He obviously knows exactly the proper angle needed to recirculate properly on turbocharged setups. I guess there's no point in going any further. We'll simply wait for the results and hopefully VooDuuChild will be happy as a clam.

Good luck to him. Moving on.
I did say I'm new to all this many times. Is something not looking right? I'm not trying to offend or put anyone off. Your advice/knowledge is second to none and very welcome. But I saw no advice as to how it should be setup for proper flow, just that it should. Yes, I'm putting all my faith into my builder. I don't have the shop, tools, skills etc to do this myself currently. I have to start somewhere and reading only gets me so far until I'm actually able to get hands on and that is all I'm trying to do is learn and try to get this done right the first time even if I'm not the one doing the work. Sorry if this isn't how you or others do this and if it's wrong, I have no one to blame but myself for giving him the car and saying build it as if it were yours. Remember, I prefaced this thread with, I am new, I am learning and am not doing any of the work myself...please excuse my ignorance, again.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When it's ready for tune, his buddy who does all his tunes is taking care of it, Richtuned Motorsports here in Washington.

Last edited by VooDuuChild; 06-28-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:37 PM

I guess you may be missing the point here. We show off builds and their components not just for looks/fun, or even to ask questions /debate about the components themselves; we usually expect the OP to "be involved in their process". That means more than just simply listing a bunch of parts , name-drop a few famous names that tune or use whatever, and say.. "cool, right?" This is a technical forum involving technical discussion about your setup; what purpose this is for, why you've chosen the parts you have, and do they agree with the rest of your setup. Giving /sharing information to make sure that you have an understanding of WHY your installer is doing it in the order they are, and WHY they're advising you (both good and bad advice) as to why these components were used /tuned/ installed as they were/are.

Simply because you're dropping off the car and handing a big check over later after it's all said and done doesn't make you a bad person. Many people are of the "built not bought" creed,(thereby becoming a much more judgmental crowd on average) but we all know that it doesn't work for everyone; we just don't have the time for it, due to family/work/(name-your-alternate time killer here). That doesn't mean you're any less of an enthusiast than the guy who put it all together himself was the poster. The only difference is , he actually would know what he has.. You don't.. And it seems like you're not interested in knowing more about your project either.

The only thing that some here may consider you in the wrong for is that you're giving the same parrot-styled answer for every question or topic-creator of your own thread that you're being asked; "My builder's doing it.. My builder's doing it, My builder said so." You're not getting involved in the process of understanding your own project, which means when something goes wrong (and it will, no mattee HOW good your builder is ) You'll have NO idea what to help troubleshoot for, or how whatever caused it's demise came to be:.. You'll either have the money to get the car back to your guy to have them repair/replace/rebuild whatever that went down, and call it a wrap; you won't know why, you won't know if there was something that could have been done either by you OR him to prevent it , (whether it be at the time of the incident or future). If you don't have the money, you'll wait until you do, and in the meantime, ask a million questions that we can't hope to answer, because you didn't involve yourself into your own project. THAT, my friend, is what's going to hurt you in the long run.

All you're doing is posting / promoting photos of someone else's work. No tech, no logical reasoning, nothing. We know you're new, you don't have to repeat it, but either change the beat and make this interesting by getting involved in your own project, or ask a moderator to simply put this in the Appearance/build forum and you can have people oogle over your visual eye-candy without answering anything. Ok?

No one is trying to be maliciously evil. I'm simply saying that we in the FI and other tech forums are used to involvement in one's own project and to get into questions/discussions/ guidance about your project. We understand that in the end it's your decision, and you can use and choose whomever and whatever you want to... you're the one investing in it to drive, not us.

It simply appears that you're not one to even inquire as to what's involved despite you're reading, so, it's almost like you're wasting your own time by posting a bunch of stuff. If you won't answer these questions, maybe the builder himself is willing to do so, to at least make up for the time you've spent here..... Or not.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, guess I posted this in the wrong area. My bad. I am trying to learn here, but when it comes to, why does he have this angled that way, or is he going to make sure it flows this way, I said from the get go, I wouldn't know these answers. How can I troubleshoot what's wrong without going through this learning process and reading. If you notice, I only have 20 or so posts, but I've been a member for over a year. that means all reading and not posting...the only reason I put this up was because I finally pulled the trigger. the mods can move it if they want. I wasn't trying to disrespect anyone by my ignorance and I can only be so involved in this build as stated because I currently work 2nd shift, he's on first, plus he's building a new house to live in, it's all just crazy. I just didn't think I'd come into negativity seeing how I'm not some stupid kid trying to make a $1500 ebay kit work on a trashed engine. I'm trying here guys, everyone has to start somewhere and I'd like to think, I'm heading in the right direction.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Or maybe I'm just taking it all too personally and getting butt hurt over nothing, haha. My goals were to take a fun little commuter, make it a little more fun. Nothing outrageous. Moderate power, with decent handling and use quality parts to make sure it all holds together. This has been a year in the making and do I wish i could be there? You bet. My best times with friends are spent in the garage. And I would lovvvve to inundate him with questions; but I'm trying not to be all pushy and be the guy who says, "why are you building it this way, someone online told me such and such". I did tons of work on the jeep I posted, but that stuff is totally different; and I'm way out of my element, but trying to expand knowledge on the subject and my next boosted vehicle, I will most certainly make the time for because I should have a garage by then. And I had no idea that I was "dropping" names of famous tuners, lol. This is just the guy he has tune his builds. After reading about Rich though, I am excited.

Last edited by VooDuuChild; 06-28-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:47 AM

Default 91 C-Rex Si B16a turbo coming together

Yes.You are taking it too personally. You learn by asking him these questions, so that you understand his logic in learning the answers. That way when you are asked that again, you'll know a bit more again about your process.

This isn't negativity, it is "tough love" learning. Just like you learned with your jeep.

But I'm not going to tell you how to ask all your questions. If you have been reading over a year, then you should know how these discussions play out, what people typically ask and why.

In the meantime, good luck to you

Last edited by TheShodan; 06-29-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He will be fine running Chrome with that guy tuning it. Hes been around a good while.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
He will be fine running Chrome with that guy tuning it. Hes been around a good while.
Agreed and understood. Again, validation of the individual himself isn't the point of my "mini-rant". I guess there's no point in continuing on this thread as I've made my particular message very clear and to-the-point.

Good luck everyone. Onward / Forward.