Notices

716_ISPYPSI's D16 Turbo Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 716_ISPYPSI's D16 Turbo Build Thread

Not too sure if this is the right spot for build threads, or if they are even allowed on this forum, so mods please move to correct location or let me know.. Thank You! New to the Honda community but been in the car community for awhile. My buddy and I were gifted a D16Z6 stock short block and this is my boosted adventure to 400+ HP. First post of the thread: Bringing the engine home
Getting it on the engine stand and unloading the boxes of parts is step 1.
Stripping down the bottom end and head is step 2.
Selling stock internals is step 3... so if anyone knows anyone looking for stock D16Z6 parts.. let me know! (keeping the crank)
Boring to 78mm and Darton sleeves is step 4.
Short Term goals! Stay tuned.

All help and input is greatly encouraged and appreciated as this is our first venture into Hondas, and we are tackling the baby brother D series.
We'll be asking questions along the way but will do our due diligence to do our own research before we get hounded by you guys.

Thanks in advance!
-MJ and DW

Last edited by TheShodan; 06-21-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default re: 716_ISPYPSI's D16 Turbo Build Thread

You mean D16Z6/D16/single cam not B16/dual cam

I would suggest boring it to 75.5mm, not 78mm.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: 716_ISPYPSI's D16 Turbo Build Thread

Sorry sorry, typo! D16. And everythjng I’ve read and research... 78mm is just under max and with Darton sleeves I should be good to go.. stock sleeves 75.5 for sure.

any reason besides the sleeve situation you wouldn’t run anything higher than 75.5?

thanks for response.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:09 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: 716_ISPYPSI's D16 Turbo Build Thread

It's best to check out other threads for the D16 series setups, and see what fits best for your needs rather than simply asking individual questions about each portion of the build. It makes for a much more exciting and progressive build page for you.

Here are a couple of examples.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...3316294/page6/

12 years of turbocharged D-series goodness here on this page!
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...43764/page586/

Good sources for products specifically made for the D16
WWW.GO-AUTOWORKS.COM Online Store. Your #1 Source For Sport Compact Performance

Also, check the FAQs highlighted in Grey above the beginning of the forum as a knowledge base for creating an understanding and basics of turbocharging. It contains a treasure trove of Gems and Nuggets of information !!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...2A%2A-1024174/

Welcome to the community and good luck with the fun!
Old 06-21-2018, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man, appreciate all the links and help! But this thread wasn’t gonna be me asking every step of the way. I’ve built engines in the past... this is just my first go at a Honda motor. The thread is just gonna be a step by step pictures and such of my progress. If I ran into issues I was gonna do some research and then ask questions. Now that you supplied all the links I’ll need I’m good to go!

and in reference to the first post, I’ve seen people to 78mm safely with sleeves so that’s the route I wanted to go.. looking for reasons and examples NOT too since I was told to just do 75.5... I’m open to everyone’s opinions and experience.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

As with any engine, boring out to the absolute limit of either OEM sleeves or reinforced ductile iron will always lower longevity. If you want to get 50K+ miles out of this engine, or have it last for years, then I'd go with a less extreme bore.

Cylinders oval out over time. If a piston seizes or a rod gets thrown, you have a little extra meat to cut off and rebore without having to get new sleeves installed as well.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock bore is 75mm.

Can I ask why you'd want a 78mm bore piston D series? Have you weighed the pro's and cons there? You noted the goal is 400+whp. How much further past 400 is the "+"? What is the intent of the car?
Old 06-21-2018, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by 716_ISPYPSI
Hey man, appreciate all the links and help! But this thread wasn’t gonna be me asking every step of the way. I’ve built engines in the past... this is just my first go at a Honda motor. The thread is just gonna be a step by step pictures and such of my progress. If I ran into issues I was gonna do some research and then ask questions. Now that you supplied all the links I’ll need I’m good to go!

and in reference to the first post, I’ve seen people to 78mm safely with sleeves so that’s the route I wanted to go.. looking for reasons and examples NOT too since I was told to just do 75.5... I’m open to everyone’s opinions and experience.
Understood. Whether you've built engines before or not, these links and steps possess keys to nuances that even expert engine builders need to reference from time-to-time. No one is questioning your mechanical inclination. But please remember, we don't know you, your resources, abilities, or skill sets, so this is more of a "carpet bomb" approach for you to get the information you need, without the side-affects felt from other contributors as though they are "spoon feeding", and at the same time, allows you the freedom to make specific inquiries or investigations regarding your build.

This D16 Engine platform has been rather cookie cutter for the last 18-20 years, and is much more preference-based than you think. The one thing about this forum more than any other, is that most of us realize that in the end, we know that our opinion isn't the one that matters. The links provided give preferences, rationalities and opinions of builds similar to what you're putting together, and they state that. So, please, don't dismiss them, take a few days and read through them, to absorb the information of not only how to do things correctly, but incorrectly, based upon others' experiences.

Trust me, people here (including myself, admittingly) will thrust their opinion and feedback whether or not you really asked for it within this thread. But not by way of a "poll-style" opinion that you may be accustomed to . , but that is, the nature of the Honda-Tech Beast.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha okay understood! Also I’m pulling my laptop out soon.. doing this from my phone at work so replying to everyone right now. I literally just got off the phone with a few engine builders locally and they told
me to save money and go slight overbore (75.5, aka you were right autoworks haha) and achieving 400-450 is still possible with stock sleeves. I really just wanted to make sure I hit the power I wanted and could have sworn I read a bunch of threads saying 75.5 won’t get me past the 4 region but now I’m reading that it will. So I’ll save my money and just overbore it a bit and keep stock sleeves. Original motor only has 35k on it so it’s pretty much brand new.

appreciate all the help and guidance as far as the forum and threads 😂. Bringing the engine early next week to get done up and the guy I’m bringing it to is a eagle and Wiseco supplier so I’ll ahve my rods and pistons shortly as well!!
Old 06-21-2018, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks
Stock bore is 75mm.

Can I ask why you'd want a 78mm bore piston D series? Have you weighed the pro's and cons there? You noted the goal is 400+whp. How much further past 400 is the "+"? What is the intent of the car?
400-450 is where I want to be.. I want to pick up a del sol or crx or something, strip it down to just the two front seats and just cruise around in a sleeper.

I originally thought boring out is the only way to get to that power from everything I read up until this point.. but I have been reassured to just a slight overbore and stock sleeves is more than enough to achieve 400+ as long as everything else is upgraded and tuned correctly.. so that'll save me a nice chunk of money! Thank you sir.. and ill refer to those links before annoying everyone with ridiculous questions and stuff... stay tuned for a freshly stripped down motor and new internals. Gotta read up on the correct route for the head next and maybe ill get it done at the same time as the bottom end.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would at minimum go with the CSS route for 4-450whp on a D series. Can it be done on stock sleeves, sure...but I wouldn't suggest it, especially if this is going to be done on pump gas.
The 75.5 bore isn't a "limit" on hp (within normal "reasoning")
Old 06-21-2018, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would at minimum go with the CSS route for 4-450whp on a D series. Can it be done on stock sleeves, sure...but I wouldn't suggest it, especially if this is going to be done on pump gas.
The 75.5 bore isn't a "limit" on hp (within normal "reasoning")
I will be running higher octane, up into the 100s if I have to. A few gas stations in the area have 100+ I've ran before. This will not be a daily driver/commuter.. we both have our own vehicles and are building a "toy". And if we blow.. looks like ill get a b series next haha... but Im gonna look into the css sleeves and what other people have done to achieve such numbers. Thanks again my friend.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Swapping to a B platform wouldn't be the answer if something catastrophic were to happen...especially since the D would have already been invested in. Again, 400-450 CAN come easily on a D series...or you can take the long expensive over complicated route that is often done in this age (for some reason). The B will die from det. just like a D...a D just does it "easier" since they don't like timing.

CSS isn't an actual sleeve job. Check w/ Jeff there, he can get you situated with the block. It's a good service that can be done. If you want to sleeve it, check with Golden Eagle....but again, at the power you want, I wouldn't sleeve it.

Compression and quality/well matched parts are your BFF's here.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Swapping to a B platform wouldn't be the answer if something catastrophic were to happen...especially since the D would have already been invested in. Again, 400-450 CAN come easily on a D series...or you can take the long expensive over complicated route that is often done in this age (for some reason). The B will die from det. just like a D...a D just does it "easier" since they don't like timing.

CSS isn't an actual sleeve job. Check w/ Jeff there, he can get you situated with the block. It's a good service that can be done. If you want to sleeve it, check with Golden Eagle....but again, at the power you want, I wouldn't sleeve it.

Thanks for all of your help man, I will be looking into CSS and giving them a call next for some info.. Appreciate it!
Old 06-21-2018, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And trust me, once parts ordering is taking place... autoworks is where I've been told to go... so you'll be getting money from me soon haha!
Old 06-21-2018, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And trust me, once parts ordering is taking place... autoworks is where I've been told to go... so you'll be getting money from me soon haha!
Murderous material made by a madman, it's the mic wrecker, Inspectah, bad man...
Old 06-21-2018, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Murderous material made by a madman, it's the mic wrecker, Inspectah, bad man...
swingin sword lecturer.. supreme neck protectah! You're the man haha
Old 06-21-2018, 09:16 AM

swingin sword lecturer.. supreme neck protectah! You're the man haha
Old 06-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
LOL...

Light hearted forum technicallity break...veered off topic thru the 36 chambers, now back to it...
Old 06-21-2018, 05:44 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Subbed just to follow along wit the build.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Step 2:

Engine mounted and boxes somewhat cleared out.. this is when I'll fully go through and list everything I won't be using for sale so if anyone knows of anything thats wanted.. let me know!

Stripping down the block is next and then all the boring stuff is over.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL...

Light hearted forum technicallity break...veered off topic thru the 36 chambers, now back to it...
Quick question sir.. about to order some pistons but on autoworks they only have CP, SRP, Vitara pistons.. is this correct or am I missing a part of the site?

I was gonna pull the trigger on Wisecos but the only set I found drops the compression to 8.4 when I wanna be in the 9's and since everyone is saying to buy from autoworks I wanna support the cause!
Old 06-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick question sir.. about to order some pistons but on autoworks they only have CP, SRP, Vitara pistons.. is this correct or am I missing a part of the site?

I was gonna pull the trigger on Wisecos but the only set I found drops the compression to 8.4 when I wanna be in the 9's and since everyone is saying to buy from autoworks I wanna support the cause!
No, Wisecos are also avail. email goautoworks@hotmail.com or check your in box here
Old 06-22-2018, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have special feeling about D series as i always wanted a boosted one but it never really happened.
Our findings here is that the best mod for turbo D series is a good water meth kit or E85.
Other than that since people at europe making 500 hp on stupid non-honda heads dont be afraid 400-450 whp will happen, easy.
If you want to invest on CSS or real sleeves youll need PROFESIONAL port job and chamber job that will eventualy make the head on par with b series.
BUT you will need D to B trans swap and things get out of budget and real reason fast after that.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Appreciate the advice brother. CSS is gonna happen as soon as I order the pistons and rods... and the head will come as soon as the engines done. And keep going in the order.. tranny will be after all that haha, fortunately/unfortunately there is no budget on this build as of now haha since we’re splitting everything and it’s a spare engine just laying around we’re gonna spend what we have to get to where we want.. super irresponsible I know but meh, race car.

Quick Reply: 716_ISPYPSI's D16 Turbo Build Thread