Notices

6btm gone bad...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6btm gone bad...

Just spent the afternoon installin a MSD 6BTM and fired up the car after checking everything. I let the car idle for about two minutes and it was perfect, then it died. It didn't sputter at all, it's just like I took the key out, but I didn't. Now, the car will not start, I believe I am not getting any spark because I pulled the plugs and they were wet. I let the engine dry out for about an hour (plugs out) and then tried to start again, no dice. I'm gonna go out and see if I can figure out what's up...if anyone has any thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it
Old 10-22-2002, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 6btm gone bad... (ion_four)

Check you're coil...
Old 10-22-2002, 09:16 PM

Default Re: 6btm gone bad... (tony1)

yah check the connections on the msd probably just shook loose from idleing! check em out... good luck
Old 10-22-2002, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds to me like one of your connections came loose while the car was running, as stated before. Then you flooded out your plugs when trying to start the car, you'll need to replace them with new ones. After you fix your connection problem or coil problem and replace the plugs you should be fine.

[Modified by GudeH23a, 1:24 AM 10/23/2002]
Old 10-22-2002, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6btm gone bad... (GudeH23a)

It sounds to me like one of your connections came loose while the car was running, as stated before. Then you flooded out your plugs when trying to start the car, you'll need to replace them with new ones. After you fix your connection problem or coil problem and replace the plugs you should be fine.

[Modified by GudeH23a, 1:24 AM 10/23/2002]
You mean put new plugs in? After looking at the wires, there is one that was a little sketchily soldered (loose), so I resoldered it, turned it over a few times while the fuel pump fuse was removed (to dry it out) and it still won't start...I'm thinkin either coil, though I've never had any other problem with it, or the btm is shot (I bought it used).

Anyone second the idea of changing the plugs? I do have some new ones, but the ones in there are only like 2 months old...
Old 10-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I doubt the MSD went bad.... you are running an external coil ? The coil can go bad tho.... how old is the setup ? First check your connections...then....

You will need to check the coil, but a bad coil normally gives warning signs like stuttering idle and misfires. Next, get a multi-tester and check the ICM in the distributor.... they can burn out from the MSD and typically will die without warning... almost exactly as you described.

X2
Old 10-23-2002, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6btm gone bad... (X2BOARD)

Alright, in the morning I will check the ICM and coil (as per my repair manual and ****)...

kinda related...how does everyone hook up their msd 6-series with the stock coil? Did you cut a hole in the bottom of the cap to allow the connection from msd to internal coil? Seems kinda weird, since it wasn't mentioned in the directions or the site, but I see no other way...
Old 10-23-2002, 04:32 AM
New User

On my D16 I connected my MSD 6BTM to the stock coil by removing one of the rubber bushings and passing the wires through that. No need to ruin the cap. I actually drilled the cap on the first install and it worked fine for a few months.

Randy
Old 10-23-2002, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6btm gone bad... (RGAZ)

On my D16 I connected my MSD 6BTM to the stock coil by removing one of the rubber bushings and passing the wires through that. No need to ruin the cap. I actually drilled the cap on the first install and it worked fine for a few months.

Randy
Rubber bushings? heh...I 'ruined' my old cap, so I still have a new one to put on. So, any help in running these wires in a more orthodox fashion would be cool
Old 10-23-2002, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so, today I checked out the ***** and it seems that the ignition module is the culprit. It was a little difficult to come to this conclusion as I think my cheap-o multimeter(S) are somewhat inconsistent...

so, the real question is: If this was the problem, how can I prevent it from happening again? It's possible that I shorted it out, but I kinda doubt it. Also, someone mentioned replacing the plugs since they were covered in gas and that makes no sense to me. My dad periodically uses gas to clean the plug in the lawn mower
Old 10-23-2002, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so, today I checked out the ***** and it seems that the ignition module is the culprit. It was a little difficult to come to this conclusion as I think my cheap-o multimeter(S) are somewhat inconsistent...

so, the real question is: If this was the problem, how can I prevent it from happening again? It's possible that I shorted it out, but I kinda doubt it. Also, someone mentioned replacing the plugs since they were covered in gas and that makes no sense to me. My dad periodically uses gas to clean the plug in the lawn mower
That person was prolly misinformed... plugs will only foul w/ oil... gas just needs to dry off. I figured the ICM was bad.... sounded like it. I would say upgrade to a better ICM, but that's not really possible, just get a new one, it prolly kicked out from overwork by the MSD, due to the multiple spark. I don't know if there's much you can do about it, but a new one should last pretty long.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:11 PM

i had a problem with my btm it did the same thing i returned to summit and they gave me a new one. it was getting wet so i put it inside my car and there is no problem. there is a way to check if the btm is good and that is by taking the white wire and touching it to a ground on and offf the ground everytime you take it off a ground it should make a spark with the ignition on

try that out if you dont get a spark check you power and ground

that is only my .02 cents i feel your pain
Old 10-24-2002, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6btm gone bad... (turbogsrb18c1)

Thanks for all the help guys!

I actually didn't do the MSD white-wire test to see if it was working...I just took the bastard off and put everything back to stock and it still wouldn't start for the world. SO, obviously something was screwed and the coil had the proper resistances (maybe a HAIR off, but my meter is not so hot) but the ICM had only one terminal with battery voltage at Key-ON, as opposed to two which I believe it should have...I've just called around to a couple dealers and it's gonna be about $93-96 bucks...unless someone I know can hook me up for a FEW dollars less...

SO, any suggestions how I can not blow this one? Was the old one just OLD (original with 102kmiles) and it just couldn't take the extra power from the MSD? Or, is there something I can do to prevent this from happening again?
Old 10-24-2002, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bout to dive in and reinstall the 6btm with the new ignitor...any last words of wisdom, so I don't **** **** up???
Old 10-25-2002, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bout to dive in and reinstall the 6btm with the new ignitor...any last words of wisdom, so I don't **** **** up???

Sure.... good luck....
Old 10-25-2002, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6btm gone bad... (X2BOARD)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=316759

I am pretty much at my wits end here...I may have to break and bring it to a shop and have them figure out what the hell is wrong.