Notices

5th Gen Lude Turbo, Perfect Power SMT-6 management..questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Gen Lude Turbo, Perfect Power SMT-6 management..questions...

Alright,

I need some help from the FI guru's here.

We had a FMU in the car..with stock pump.. and it just wouldn't give more then 14:1 A/F ratio on the Dyno. So, here's what I decided to do.

-Walbro 255lph intank
-injectors
-Perfect Power SMT-6 (http://perfectpower.canspeed.com/smt6.htm)

The perfect power..is kinda like a glorified VAFC, it taps into the map sensor, crank sensor, cam sensor etc and modifies these values before the ECU. You also have a nice windows based software to modify the maps which is SWEET.

The other nice thing is the ability to run extra injectors. What the place I am buying it from like to do, is run 4 extra injectors. They keep the stock ones in place with the stock ECU controlling them, so Idling and crap is still stock like, then you can tune the extra injectors to come on at a certain boost level so you can use extra 240cc stock injectors for example to give a total of I think 550cc (I think stock Prelude is 310cc..not sure)

The only reason he says to do it this way, is because apparently, it's easier to tune it, and makes more power then bigger injectors in stock rail.

does this make sense? I mean, I then have to remove the intake manifold, drill and weld in some bungs, get the injectors, make a fuel rail etc. Sounds like a lot of work. He also said I could just run 1 or 2 extra injectors in the intercooler piping..I've done a setup like this in a previous car..it worked well..but I don't know that I want to do that with this car as it's..how should I say..GHETTO.

If you can get the VAFC to run the 450cc's from a Talon, I couldn't imagine something like this not beeing able to do it as well?

His is a 5th Gen Lude Automatic, so Uberdata/Hondata switched to OBD1 is not an option as no worky with auto ecu's.

Setup Details,

-Stock H22A4
-Auto tranny
-custom log style manifold
-T3/T4 57 Trim .60/.63
-Tial 38mm wastegate
-2.25inch IC piping
-PWR 4"x10" air/water IC
-Tial BOV
-2.5inch downpipe
-Running 5-7PSI

I need some opinions, and options ASAP please. Am deciding today/tomorrow what to do/buy to get this thing running.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:10 AM

Default Re: 5th Gen Lude Turbo, Perfect Power SMT-6 management..questions... (Jays91DXhatch)

I have been looking at the installation and tunning manuals...I mean, it's straight forward. You have TPS, MAP and ignition. You tap/nitercept into 3 wires and that's it.

The maps that you tune, you tune them according to throttle position and RPM. Here's a BAsic run down

-Map sensor Map, You can change the voltage to the ECU from the MAP sensor in the map according to RPM and TP (Throttle Position) every value of 1 here changes the voltage by 0.039V + or - so it's not Percent like a VAFC, I guess you would have to play with it to see how it affects the overall. Or, I guess if you know the total Voltage of the MAP sensor, you can figure out what 0.039V means as a percentage of that.

This would pretty much only be usefull if you are changing the stock injectors to larger injectors. I don't see why you would need this if you are running extra injectors.

-Injection map is used to control the "open time" of injectors that are hooked up to their injector driver.

It says that The injector is turned on for the time specified on the MAP after every pulse received by the CB1..whatever that is. :S

Value of 1 in this MAP = 0.1ms

The only thing is...it doesn't tell you what wires are the INjector Driver..lol So you don't know how to hook it up. Not to mention...that it seems like all the injectors would be all turned on at once, meaning even if you have 1 per runner, they wouldn't "go on at the same time as the stock ones" know what I mean?

So this is not too bad.

-Ignition Map, this is straight forward, you put + or - degrees of ignition retard. The only thing I don't see is boost referenced ignition retard. You still can only retard it according to TPS and RPM..not sure how well this would work. I guess you would have to make assumptions such as at 50 or 70% throttle you are in boost...something like that?

I dunno, we don't have too many options..this is a good one, I just want to make sure it will work.

I could run the extra injectors in the intake piping, that worked ok on the Focus and it was MUCH crappier intake manifold design however, I don't want it hacked. So the 4 extra injectors, you need to remove the intake mani and get some aluminum bungs welded in....meh, not too cool. Unless I get a nice and fancy intake mani like Grant has.

I dunno. If I put in bigger injectors in stock location, like all the chips/standalones require.....I can use the MAP sensor Map to control them. Meaning I reduce the voltage at lower RPM and lower Throttle position and then I modify for higher in the RPM and TP..ya know?

FACK. If would be SO much simpler if it was Manual. I would be running Uberdata already.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:57 PM

Default Re: 5th Gen Lude Turbo, Perfect Power SMT-6 management..questions... (Jays91DXhatch)

Hey, have you gotten the smt6 working yet? I'm curious because I'm going to use the same setup for my VW. Let me know how you made out.