3 inch resonators: what are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (h22 civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22 civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i figured with over 2000 post u new who kteller was and would just ask him or go to his site and get as many pics as you need but thats just me</TD></TR></TABLE>

they only have one picture...
Old 03-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG1.8cT68)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG1.8cT68 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sell the exhaust, keep your downpipe @ 3" and put a McCord power plate on it, then put your WS back on. Quiet all the time until you need to go fast and can be loud. This is what I am doing with my DC sports exhaust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

with the amount of money i spent on my car... the last thing i would do is restrict the exhaust and not make my the power i want

by the way whats a powerplate?
Old 03-17-2005, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 03-17-2005, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

.....I have a 22" magnaflow resonator on my car. Works g00t.

$75 though!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Black R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.....I have a 22" magnaflow resonator on my car. Works g00t.

$75 though! </TD></TR></TABLE>

where did you buy it?
is the a race muffler, or is it the 6 inch diameter resonator?

i feel like the larger resonator would work better than the 4 inch diameter race muffler... but im not sure if the 6 inch diameter 3 inch magnaflow would fit under the car
Old 03-17-2005, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (igo4bmx)

My setup..

2.5" downpipe (1feet?) --&gt; Merged into 3inch exhaust piping ---&gt; 18" Glass Resonator 3inch ----&gt; Magnaflow Stainless 3inch Race Muffler.

Overall sound is Great Not annoying on highway or streets. Its actually quieter compared to STi and EVO8's.!

Only loud thing in the car is the WasteGate dump.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (synik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by synik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My setup..

2.5" downpipe (1feet?) --&gt; Merged into 3inch exhaust piping ---&gt; 18" Glass Resonator 3inch ----&gt; Magnaflow Stainless 3inch Race Muffler.

Overall sound is Great Not annoying on highway or streets. Its actually quieter compared to STi and EVO8's.!

Only loud thing in the car is the WasteGate dump. </TD></TR></TABLE>

which 18" inch glasspack did you use?
Old 03-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

which 18" inch glasspack did you use?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its somewhat Identical to the Summit Racing Glasspack Resonator/Muffler.

Im planning to add another 18inch resonator, just to see if it will significantly reduce any sound ( to be EXTREMELY QUIET ) Soon enough.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by synik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its somewhat Identical to the Summit Racing Glasspack Resonator/Muffler.

Im planning to add another 18inch resonator, just to see if it will significantly reduce any sound ( to be EXTREMELY QUIET ) Soon enough. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i need to do this asap....
im picking up my car this week, and need to drive it to work...
I work with a bunch of really rich executives... last thing i want to do is make a bad (ricey) impression lol
Old 03-17-2005, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol. Goodluck on it. Yea, try to run 1 resonator / 1 muffler and see how it will sound. Which muffler are you planning to go with? ( I recommend OVAL shape )

If you still dont like the sound, you can always run another resonator.

But with the turbo, the sound will definately be VERY quiet.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by synik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol. Goodluck on it. Yea, try to run 1 resonator / 1 muffler and see how it will sound. Which muffler are you planning to go with? ( I recommend OVAL shape )

If you still dont like the sound, you can always run another resonator.

But with the turbo, the sound will definately be VERY quiet. </TD></TR></TABLE>

its a kteller setup, magnaflow muffler and testpipe...

no resonator at the moment, and didn't even pick up the car yet from the shop...
Old 03-17-2005, 09:16 AM

I put the Moroso Spiral Flow in my 2.5" custom exhaust and it really makes the car quiet above 4500 RPM. The old exhaust used to get really loud at WOT when VTEC kicked in and now it is actually quieter than lower RPMs. This is especially nice when cruising on the highway.

All I have in my exhaust is the Moroso and a generic can muffler (nearly straight thru) and the car seems pretty quiet to me. I'm in my mid 30's and believe me, my wife would kill me if the car was very loud and she has never said a word about the sound.

Plenty of ways to put together the exhaust. Just my .02cents.

BTW - This setup is much quieter than my N/A with a cold air intake ever was. I hated that BBBRRRRRRRAAAAAWWWWW...... Well, maybe not so much.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brkrnu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brkrnu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I put the Moroso Spiral Flow in my 2.5" custom exhaust and it really makes the car quiet above 4500 RPM. The old exhaust used to get really loud at WOT when VTEC kicked in and now it is actually quieter than lower RPMs. This is especially nice when cruising on the highway.

All I have in my exhaust is the Moroso and a generic can muffler (nearly straight thru) and the car seems pretty quiet to me. I'm in my mid 30's and believe me, my wife would kill me if the car was very loud and she has never said a word about the sound.

Plenty of ways to put together the exhaust. Just my .02cents.

BTW - This setup is much quieter than my N/A with a cold air intake ever was. I hated that BBBRRRRRRRAAAAAWWWWW...... Well, maybe not so much.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much power are you pushing?
i saw those but was scared of the possible restriction they could cause...
Old 03-17-2005, 10:51 AM

Havent dynoed yet, but the car is street tuned and runs like stock. 1st and 2nd gears are tire smoke anything above 50% throttle at 7 PSI. I changed from a stock exhaust from the cat back to the custom exhaust and I have instant boost when I want it so I really dont think there is much restriction there at all. If you look at the Moroso it has 1/2 of the gas straight thru and 1/2 swirling. Doesnt seem to restrict noise too much down low as my car has a nice growl but suddenly when it hits around 3500-4000 RPM is really quiets everything down significantly. I hear my wastegate dumping MUCH more than my exhaust at WOT.

To answer your original question - When I turn my boost controller to 12 PSI I should be near 300whp and it sure feels like it.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3 inch resonators: what are you running? (igo4bmx)

whatever you do DO NOT GET A GLASSPACK AND USE AS A RESONATOR! trust me, it will work for about 2 days then after the packing gets loose, it will be loud and you will have wasted the time and money that you spent on the glasspack. get a resonator from kteller or somethin and be done with it.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3 inch resonators: what are you running? (bk11383)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bk11383 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whatever you do DO NOT GET A GLASSPACK AND USE AS A RESONATOR! trust me, it will work for about 2 days then after the packing gets loose, it will be loud and you will have wasted the time and money that you spent on the glasspack. get a resonator from kteller or somethin and be done with it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i ordereda dynomax bullet race muffler and will be using that as a resonator
i prey this will help
Old 03-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I put a 3" turboback exhaust on a friends wrx, no cats, no resonator and he got the muffler. I'm not sure what the muffler was but it was spiral inside, 3". I figured the car would be pretty loud but it actually isn't bad. So then out of cuiosity when I made the exhaust for my sti I made it with no cats, no resonators and also no muffler, just strait 3" from turbo back. A lot louder then his car but it's hard to belive the muffler he has quieted his car that much. I put the stock muffler back on my car cuz there is no way i'm driving the car everyday with no muffler.
We have a resonator/glasspack/muffler at work that looks just like his muffler did inside but is only about 6" diameter outside. I'm thinking I might put that on my car to see what it sounds like and for all the more it cost me I might do another one if it is still too loud. They cost me $20 so I'd have the same amount of money into 3 of them then I would a regular oval muffler. Plus the car looks pretty neat with just a 3" tailpipe sticking out the back

The power plate is an electronic exhaust cutout. I actually have another brand of the e-cutout. I doubt I will use it tho. http://www.quicktimeperformanc...l&p=2
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/
Old 03-18-2005, 02:35 AM

I have a 2.5"-3" downpipe -&gt; 22" dynomax resonator -&gt; magnaflow race muffler. It's not too loud; no raspyness at all, just real deep sounding. I miss my RSR exmag though. Anybody tried putting in a second resonator after having just one?
Old 03-18-2005, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3 inch resonators: what are you running? (n0body)

http://www.doitbig.org/dsm/exhaust3.JPG

That's a 18" (if i remember correctly) Dynomax Race Muffler.

Still sounds completely like an open exhaust to me. Maybe even louder than just an open 02 as the exit/turndown is right under the drivers seat, so it reverbs back into the cabin. Definately not as street friendly as I thought.

But let me tell you, it sounds awesome once 20psi+ is flowing through it.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 3 inch resonators: what are you running? (DSMu4ia)

By Dynomax resonators, you all don't mean this, right?

http://store.summitracing.com/...e%7C0

Main reason I ask is because I can't find any site that actually lists a dynomax resonator or magnaflow resonator. All I'm finding are these 3in in/out w/4in can types, all tagged as mufflers, not resonators.

I plan on making a full 3" for my upcoming turbo setup, using some sort of large resonator in the middle of the car and another resonator or muffler on the rear. Summit lists their muffler and the dynomax as ppreforated inside like a resonator, so I'm guessing they're one in the same? Anyways, thanks for the info thus far, it's helped a lot.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3 inch resonators: what are you running? (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">By Dynomax resonators, you all don't mean this, right?

http://store.summitracing.com/...e%7C0

Main reason I ask is because I can't find any site that actually lists a dynomax resonator or magnaflow resonator. All I'm finding are these 3in in/out w/4in can types, all tagged as mufflers, not resonators.

I plan on making a full 3" for my upcoming turbo setup, using some sort of large resonator in the middle of the car and another resonator or muffler on the rear. Summit lists their muffler and the dynomax as ppreforated inside like a resonator, so I'm guessing they're one in the same? Anyways, thanks for the info thus far, it's helped a lot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly...
they call it a muffler but im gonna use it as a resonator
Old 03-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

found a pic of the resonator i used...
Old 03-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3 inch resonators: what are you running? (B18Flip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18Flip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">found a pic of the resonator i used...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

what brand? price? link to purchase?
im gonna put that instead of a plain test pipe to make it quieter
Old 03-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got it from b18bturbo, not sure who makes them though. BTW i used it as a testpipe section too after the dp LOL
Old 03-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3 inch resonators: what are you running? (B18Flip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18Flip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got it from b18bturbo, not sure who makes them though. BTW i used it as a testpipe section too after the dp LOL</TD></TR></TABLE>

well thats what i would do with that!!
how long is it?
i'll find something comparable

Quick Reply: 3 inch resonators: what are you running?