Notices

3" or 4" uppipe/downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" or 4" uppipe/downpipe

Hi guys! Wondering if u could give me some insight n help me with a decision that I need to make here soon. Im pretty sure I'm gonna end up going with an uppipe but I'm not sure yet cuz if I have enough space when I get everything in there I might run it out past the rad n out the pass side bumper. I'm just wondering if there will b any benefit by going with a 3.5" or even a 4" pipe when doing this? Mayb u guys can take a look at my setup n make some suggestions. My setup is 84.5x89 ~9.5-1 with pro1s, Afi top mount with t3 6265 .82 ar. Will b running e85 n power goal is around 700-750. Thanks mike
Old 02-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3" or 4" uppipe/downpipe

4" just because it looks meaner !
Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Ah. the OP means for Hood exit or downpipe. I thought he meant for intercooler piping. My previous statement was retracted.

Either one I guess. Not much of a drag racer.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
lol yes it does, but it's also louder n I do plan on street driving it occasionally so if there is no benefit I would just rather it b slightly quieter. N yes shodan dp not ic piping lol
Old 02-23-2014, 11:01 AM

Doing a hood exit will be loud regardless if its not using a muffler of any kind and just open.... Its almost not a real question.

Loud is loud.. period.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Doing a hood exit will be loud regardless if its not using a muffler of any kind and just open.... Its almost not a real question. Loud is loud.. period.
well I know it's gonna b loud but I also know that a 4" uppipe is louder than a 3" uppipe. There wasn't a question of whether it's gonna b loud or not, I know it will b loud either way that I may do it because I'm not gonna put a muffler on it either way. My question is whether or not it will be beneficial to make it larger than 3" because if not than I will just do 3".
Old 02-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to derail this but who makes 4in up pipes ?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Keo00civic
Not to derail this but who makes 4in up pipes ?
I'm sure someone does sell them but mine will b custom made.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine...

3" V-band off the turbo to 3"-4" cone, then 4" down.

For a street car, hood exit is stupid. A race-only car, yes, hood exit is perfect.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

hood exits are very loud.. and if you tune on the rich side you'll blow carbon soot all over the windshield and roof, it's even worse when it rains.

bumper exits are a bit quieter due to the fast air moving around the bumper slowing down the sound waves as they leave the exhaust, if you slash cut, radius, or turn down the exit it's even quieter. the same buffeting effect applies to the hood exits but the effect is much less due to the high or low pressure around the end of the pipe (depends on chassis, piping diameter, and exit design/placement)

also, if this is a purpose built drag car there is some consideration that needs to be made for the effect on aerodynamics each exhaust setup has. there's been a long debated theory that bumper exits cause the car to be pushed one way, opposite the exhaust exit side, due to the velocity of the exhaust gas, conversely some say that the hood exit assists downforce at high rpm due to the exhaust gasses at high rpm pushing the front end down

however without wind tunnel testing or extensive telemetry analysis this is all conjecture

do whatever you want, either setup won't have much effect on power and such, although a few people with short hood exits have had issues with wideband readouts as the reversion causes fresh air to be sucked into the exhaust, causing a skewed leaner than actual wideband reading.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4genaccordfreak
Here's mine... 3" V-band off the turbo to 3"-4" cone, then 4" down. For a street car, hood exit is stupid. A race-only car, yes, hood exit is perfect.
nice looking setup! R u running an exhaust or open dp?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
hood exits are very loud.. and if you tune on the rich side you'll blow carbon soot all over the windshield and roof, it's even worse when it rains. bumper exits are a bit quieter due to the fast air moving around the bumper slowing down the sound waves as they leave the exhaust, if you slash cut, radius, or turn down the exit it's even quieter. the same buffeting effect applies to the hood exits but the effect is much less due to the high or low pressure around the end of the pipe (depends on chassis, piping diameter, and exit design/placement) also, if this is a purpose built drag car there is some consideration that needs to be made for the effect on aerodynamics each exhaust setup has. there's been a long debated theory that bumper exits cause the car to be pushed one way, opposite the exhaust exit side, due to the velocity of the exhaust gas, conversely some say that the hood exit assists downforce at high rpm due to the exhaust gasses at high rpm pushing the front end down however without wind tunnel testing or extensive telemetry analysis this is all conjecture do whatever you want, either setup won't have much effect on power and such, although a few people with short hood exits have had issues with wideband readouts as the reversion causes fresh air to be sucked into the exhaust, causing a skewed leaner than actual wideband reading.
wow never thought of the side exit pushing the car. That's interesting! And yes the issues with wideband readouts I am aware of and it's one of the things kinda swaying me towards a side exit. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostlsveg
nice looking setup! R u running an exhaust or open dp?
It is a full exhaust with the addition of a Quicktime Performance electric exhaust cut-out placed under the passengers feet area, with a switch on the dash to open/close on command.

Since my car is majority a street car, I can choose to keep the exhaust closed and quiet. When I need to open it up for full power/high flow, takes just 5-6 seconds to open it.

Best of both worlds.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ good ****! What kinda power r u making? Looks like u got a pretty nice setup from the pic !
Old 02-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No numbers on the new engine (in sig) yet.

Old engine is pictured. Just a basic stock sleeved piston/rod setup.

That setup made 420whp/280tq at 18-20psi on that little GT3076R @ 3500ft elevation

This new engine should make 450whp/300tq at the same boost pressure, same turbo, same elevation.

Keep in mind this is a street car and big power is not what I am looking for. Fat powerband is what I need/want. The top-mount and 4" DP is overkill but gives room for growth with this new engine. New engine is more than capable of pushing 800+ with a larger turbo and fuel system.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh **** ha I was on the mobile app earlier n it don't show sigs. Nice setup tho, should deff make the power ur looking for.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I wouldnt consider a 3076 small, at least because I don't drag race lol

my 10.5:1-11:1 street/road course build is using a 2871 because I want lots of midrange torque since my main "home track" is Atlanta Motorsports Park which is a tight, technical course with a 200ft elevation change, I'll run Road Atlanta every so often but I think the back straight is too long for my turbo size, it's a good 4th gear run by the time you reach the braking zone.

that and on the street the 2871 is perfect IMO. I hate laggy turbos on the street, I got spoiled by the response and torque my 2860r Sr20 made
Old 02-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any suggestions?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:07 PM

Suggestions for......
Old 02-25-2014, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's my 4" down pipe. Turn down right before the first bend.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shawty22
Here's my 4" down pipe. Turn down right before the first bend.
I like what u did there! Any vids of the car running with the dp like that?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I like it as well. far enough back that exhaust fumes shouldn't enter the cabin.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's an idle video.

Here's a shitty track pass on WG pressure.

Just cruising it really isn't bad. I do have all the sound detonating still in the car. But you can still listen to the radio and have a conversation with someone in there.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ nice doesn't seem too loud at all really. I may end up doing something similar. Thanks for the reply
Old 02-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys are pussies. I have a 3" up-pipe with a big *** cam. Sounds great. It might be annoying if I drove the car 1/2 hour to and from work everyday, but I drive it when I wanna tear a little rubber up.

I made the pipe exit further toward the passenger side, so no fumes either. I like the ridiculousness of the fire and brimstone/anti-lag noises that emanate from my car.

BTW: turbos make GREAT mufflers.

Quick Reply: 3" or 4" uppipe/downpipe