Notices

1997 Honda Prelude Liquid/Air setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Honda Prelude Liquid/Air setup

1997 turbo prelude « » 2:01 PM 6/14/2007 Reply Edit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,
I got a bit of free time to takes some pictures on my prelude that i am working on. However, i presently do not have enough time to like all it's modifications. If there any questions, please feel free to ask. I will get back in a timely manner. Enjoy!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:37 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: 1997 Honda Prelude Liquid/Air setup (Tyler@Psi-Fi Motorsports)

Looks like some pretty good work.

I'm curious as to the exhaust manifold design. Did you do it just as something to try, or for space limitations?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

egt is to close..air sensor is to close. manifold looks interesting. what kinda #'s you got going no?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DrivinVtec)

please explain to me how these sensors are too close...EGT numbers a very accurate and i have never had a problem with my air/fuel ratios

these sensors were positioned individuals that tune and fabricate parts for cars such as porsche, audi, mercedes...etc. so i have faith in there placement, but i personally don't know everything, so if you have insight on a more accurate location please feel free to help
Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1997 Honda Prelude Liquid/Air setup (.dave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .dave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like some pretty good work.

I'm curious as to the exhaust manifold design. Did you do it just as something to try, or for space limitations?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's an anti-reversion w/an pusle trap collector

This fabrication concept is replicated on porchse, audi, F1 cars....ect.

allows for better response and quicker spooling at lower rpms

search for it on google
Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I shouldnt say there wrong. you can have them there but the sensors wont last. its been said 14-22 inch away from the turbo to prolong life of them.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:57 PM

his egt is ok just his a/f will read fine he will just go through sensors faster. they usually last about 2 months max before getting funny readings
Old 06-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1.by looking at it, you are using pusher style for the radiator for more air, since there is no room in the back for puller, right?

2. So the manifold, all going into the middle section is it like all open space, then angle on the side for the wastegate? (can't tell by the design)

3. no A/C too, hardcore man
Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrivinVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I shouldnt say there wrong. you can have them there but the sensors wont last. its been said 14-22 inch away from the turbo to prolong life of them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, yes that is logical due to the temperatures at that location. i rather have the most accurate reading. If it goes bad i'll order up another. you gotta pay to play
Old 06-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HTDragazn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HTDragazn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.by looking at it, you are using pusher style for the radiator for more air, since there is no room in the back for puller, right?

2. So the manifold, all going into the middle section is it like all open space, then angle on the side for the wastegate? (can't tell by the design)

3. no A/C too, hardcore man</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. for some reason i am not understanding this question, are you taking about how i mounted the fans, if so i have two slim line fans on the back. the fan you see in the front is for the tranny cooler

2. kinda, there is 1/4in ridge at the top of the collector where the runners are, it's function is to prevent from air being sucked back into the runners from an adjacent runner, because as we know air wants to move from a high pressure area to a low pressure area, so between pulses the air in the collector wants to move back into the runner, hence why the manifold concept is called anit-reversion/pulse trap collector, i hoped this helped, there is plenty of info on this through the internet

3. no A/C, no big deal, open the windows-natural A/C w/ no robbing of power
Old 06-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tyler@Psi-Fi Motorsports)

haha. is that a second set of injectors facing the wrong way?!
Old 06-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome to the world of heat soak. do your self a favor, run a bigger front mount heat exhanger and build an insolated box around the air to water intercooler.

nice setup otherwise , nice to see other boosted ludes with a/w!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GenIIIMrDuece)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GenIIIMrDuece &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha. is that a second set of injectors facing the wrong way?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

before, try saying something intelligent make sure you even know what you are talking about.

There is a reason the injector is facing the opposite way the air is flowing. when the injector pulsates fuel against the flow of the compressed, charged air, it atomizes; in dumb-dumb terms, it proportionally mix with the air. This helps to ensure that that and even amount of fuel is going to each runner in intake manifold, which doesn't happen as well if the extra injector is pulsate with the flow of air.

i guess you learn something new everyday
Old 06-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1997 Honda Prelude Liquid/Air setup (prelittlelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">welcome to the world of heat soak. do your self a favor, run a bigger front mount heat exhanger and build an insolated box around the air to water intercooler.

nice setup otherwise , nice to see other boosted ludes with a/w!</TD></TR></TABLE>

you have no clue about this systems capacity proximities nor efficiency

Heat soak? never had an issue my AITs are consistently average less than 6 degrees celcius over ambient temps (even after driving it for hours on the highway)

bigger heat exchager? it is a stock srt-4 intercooler with an integrated resevoir tank, the heat exchanger itself, holds over 2 gallons of liquid alone.

isolated box? now need with the air intake temps i'm getting, haha

have a nice day

Modified by Tyler@Psi-Fi Motorsports at 12:42 PM 6/15/2007

Modified by Tyler@Psi-Fi Motorsports at 10:05 AM 6/19/2007
Old 06-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much power?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">welcome to the world of heat soak. do your self a favor, run a bigger front mount heat exhanger and build an insolated box around the air to water intercooler.

nice setup otherwise , nice to see other boosted ludes with a/w!</TD></TR></TABLE>

you have no clue about this systems capacity proximities nor efficiency

Heat soak? never had an issue my AITs are consistently -6 degrees below ambient temps. (even after driving it for hours on the highway)

bigger heat exchager? it is a stock srt-4 intercooler with an integrated resevoir tank, the heat exchanger itself, holds over 2 gallons of liquid alone.

have a nice day
Old 06-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GenIIIMrDuece)

i dont see any injectors?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:31 PM

i as well wana know how much power?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (powerdbygarrett)

typically I think you'd have the EGT probe as close to the cylinder head as possible...and have the o2 sensor further from the turbine housing (too much heat kills those sensors) Id also clock the o2 sensor a little higher... 10-2 o clock is where I prefer it.

any relationship to the psi-fi motorsports who did the srt-4 stuff? Ant and Mark IIRC? What ever happened to those guys? I remember Matt_sb2000 and I used to give them all kinds of **** on srtforums.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (powerdbygarrett)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by powerdbygarrett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i as well wana know how much power?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no #'s yet...hopefully going to the dynojet in the next couple of weeks
will post as soon as i get the numbers
Old 06-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.R T E r n i e)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .R T E r n i e &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">typically I think you'd have the EGT probe as close to the cylinder head as possible...and have the o2 sensor further from the turbine housing (too much heat kills those sensors) Id also clock the o2 sensor a little higher... 10-2 o clock is where I prefer it.

any relationship to the psi-fi motorsports who did the srt-4 stuff? Ant and Mark IIRC? What ever happened to those guys? I remember Matt_sb2000 and I used to give them all kinds of **** on srtforums.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haven't had a problem with the sensors, they are reading proper A/Fs, sorry to disappoint you.

yes i worked for them, plus i have been great friends with ant and mark for 6 years, and i work for mark now, they are also 2 of the 4 people that built the system.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice setup. Im also interested in what kind of numbers your getting.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sq_creations)

looks good, although the WG palcment is a lil off but aslong as it holds then it all good.

I like the simple effective setups like this.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyler@Psi-Fi Motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Heat soak? never had an issue my AITs are consistently less than 6 degrees over ambient temps (even after driving it for hours on the highway)
</TD></TR></TABLE>
try parking it for an hour and then start driving and tell me what your IATs are. There is no reason to be a dick, I am only speaking from experience from multiple a/w setups.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyler@Psi-Fi Motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't care if it hold 10 gallons, We are talking about surface area, not capacity. Capacity only changes the time is take for your cooling medium to approach ambient or even pre cooler turbo discharge temps. It LOOKED like a smaller core, you never said as far as i could tell that it was a SRT intercooler moded for a/w.

have a nice day </TD></TR></TABLE>

your missing the point cheif, an isolation box is for when there is NO air flow. I.e, sitting in traffic or parking. i don't care what your setup is, if you stick a big chunk of AL under the hood of a hot car and it is not moving your a/w will absorb a large amount of heat that could other wise be avoided with a isolation box.

I also have one last question, if your front mount heat exhanger is SOOO efficent I would like to know how your cooling medium stays soo cold that even after driving on the highway for several hours like you said you did , that your IATs stay 6 degrees below ambient?? Heat exchangers work both ways if your cooling medium is below ambient it should rapidly warm it to close to ambient. Even if your runing a couple bags of ice, it will not stay cold for a couple of hours.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
try parking it for an hour and then start driving and tell me what your IATs are. There is no reason to be a dick, I am only speaking from experience from multiple a/w setups.

I don't care if it hold 10 gallons, We are talking about surface area, not capacity. Capacity only changes the time is take for your cooling medium to approach ambient or even pre cooler turbo discharge temps. It LOOKED like a smaller core, you never said as far as i could tell that it was a SRT intercooler moded for a/w.

your missing the point cheif, an isolation box is for when there is NO air flow. I.e, sitting in traffic or parking. i don't care what your setup is, if you stick a big chunk of AL under the hood of a hot car and it is not moving your a/w will absorb a large amount of heat that could other wise be avoided with a isolation box.

I also have one last question, if your front mount heat exhanger is SOOO efficent I would like to know how your cooling medium stays soo cold that even after driving on the highway for several hours like you said you did , that your IATs stay 6 degrees below ambient?? Heat exchangers work both ways if your cooling medium is below ambient it should rapidly warm it to close to ambient. Even if your runing a couple bags of ice, it will not stay cold for a couple of hours. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry if i came off as a dick, that was not my intention...i respect your thoughts just as much as the next person...i didn't mean to type "6 degrees below ambient" as you can see that post was revised "AITs are consistently average lesser than 6 degrees celcius over ambient temps"

I understand your thoughts and you make a great point, but you have to understand that there isn't that much water in the intercooler itself, the water passes through there so quickly and the majority of the capacity is in the tank and heat exchanger, so it doesn't have any time to heat soak, and the capacity makes a huge difference.

I have noticed presence heat soak issues as i can monitor my AITs at all times and it's been averaging 90 degrees here lately

Quick Reply: 1997 Honda Prelude Liquid/Air setup