Notices

08' cobalt SS turbo- opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:44 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08' cobalt SS turbo- opinions?

I know you guys are probably think wtf?!?!?!? I'm just curious what the majority of the honda guys are thinking right now about the new cobalt turbo that just came out...I know the 06-07 cobalts had received some very good reviews, but what do ya think? My friend at work just traded his 06 for an 08 and he loves it, but he's young and doesnt know a whole lot about cars...before he bought it he asked me what I thought. I kinda told him that I thought GM's choice of turbo on it sucked imo (BW KO4 internally gated) that turbo spools too quick. they use them on the audi A4's... but anyway is the car really a good bang for the buck? They put big rotors and brembos on it stock btw...anyone know if the power plant in the car is a good platform to start with? will an aftermarket exhaust make a huge difference on his car with that tiny *** turbo? Sorry for posting this chevy thread in this FI forum, just wasnt sure where exactly to post it.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Make mine whatever you want

Default Re: 08' cobalt SS turbo- opinions? (EASY101)

I hate cobalts personally. And I hate VW's even more. So the combination of a cobalt with a KO4 is probably the worst thing i've ever heard. "just wasnt sure where exactly to post it." In the off topic forum probably.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's about time americans wised up and admitted that supercharged 4 cylinder engines are retarded. Its still a chevy though, so it'll probably break down in 3 months
Old 06-05-2008, 01:32 PM
* B A N N E D *

better car than the srt4 you think?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:48 PM

Default Re: (EASY101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EASY101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">better car than the srt4 you think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

might be,i'd rather have the cobalt than a srt4
Old 06-05-2008, 03:38 PM
* B A N N E D *

when he had the 06 (supercharged) that car was stock and it seemed like it was fairly quick in the low end
Old 06-05-2008, 04:44 PM
* B A N N E D *

can anyone answer my last question? I know that in the boosted honda world everyone is practically always preaching exhaust (bigger is better) but in my friend's case...with the tiny turbo he has will an aftermarket exhaust really provide as much gain as I'm imagining it would?
Old 06-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Make mine whatever you want

I'm not sure of who makes parts for them, but like any turbo car, a well made downpipe and good open exhaust will show very noticeable gains in power. On that I wouldn't expect much with just cat-back. A downpipe with cat delete will probably make a big difference though. Even though I dont like the car, i'm glad they did get rid f that supercharger
Old 06-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GT35R_EF)

It looks like Chevy did their homework with this one...not only is it fast in a straight line and tunable but according to a few magazines, it's a capable open track car as well. I'm curious enough to go check one out at the dealership.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't forget the Ecotec is a remarkably strong motor. Look what they do with stock blocks in GM sponsored drag teams!

it's a high 13 second car in stock form (well driven) and will outhandle a mazdaspeed3.

It got a darn good review in the latest SCC....and you know how they are towards domestics, generally.

AS for being better than an SRT4, I'd say....well yea! The no-lift shift thing is pretty sweet.....all in all it's supposed to be a damn nice driving car. And the monoblock brembos are sweet too. I'd bleed out the brake fluid for some high temp fluid, maybe motul 600, do an intake, hard i/c pipes, and a 3" exhaust and probably call it a day. With a tune that'd prolly drop it to low 13s without screwing the handling too much (overpowering it, i mean)
Old 06-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chimmike)

no lift shift and launch control. it's like owning a neptune'd turbo Honda.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kevin)

I like it but at the same time hate it, just not a chevy fan
Old 06-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (7k rdlne)

Given the fact Chrapler is basicly bankrupt, historicly has poor quality (even vs GM!), and the SRT-4 looks like a bloated small car, I'd go Slobalt SS. The 08 actually looks decent. They fixed the front to look nicer, and the rear doesn't have as bad a "flat slab" look from the previous models. But I swear if I see any more Cobalts with rear bumpers that drop down further (or a lip), I'm gonna start tearing them off. /rant

I'd probably say changing (all) the intake piping, turbo, and exhaust is about all that would be needed to make it really quick.

Honestly I'd pass if over for a base Pontiac G8. That car's the ****! (just hope the diff doesn't suck like the Caddies)
Old 06-06-2008, 03:43 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Kevin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kevin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It looks like Chevy did their homework with this one...not only is it fast in a straight line and tunable but according to a few magazines, it's a capable open track car as well. I'm curious enough to go check one out at the dealership.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've rode in both his 06' and 08' and the cars actually handle very well around turns...no body roll hardly at all. very flat around hard turns. the tires grip well and doesnt seem to have any understeer.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:47 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (GT35R_EF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GT35R_EF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure of who makes parts for them, but like any turbo car, a well made downpipe and good open exhaust will show very noticeable gains in power. On that I wouldn't expect much with just cat-back. A downpipe with cat delete will probably make a big difference though. Even though I dont like the car, i'm glad they did get rid f that supercharger </TD></TR></TABLE>

every since he got it I'm trying to convince him that a new full aftermarket exhaust should be one of his first mods. and ofcourse that along with a ecu reflash or reprogram (chip) to up the boost because I think thats the only way to increase the boost in those cars...same with the VW's/audi's (if I'm not mistaken)
Old 06-06-2008, 04:40 PM

Default Re: 08' cobalt SS turbo- opinions? (EASY101)

The turbo setup isn't that new, i think... read it is the same one as in the Solstice GXP or the Opel/Vauxhall/Satrun Astra VXR/Red-line

i'll wait till they import the Astra Red-line, cause the astra just looks a lil better, and the interior looks better - sorta...

tho, i would still take a Mazdaspeed3 over them all, just cause the interior is way better.

if gm took some time to redesign the interior and make it less rental-car boring, then i'll take a look.

Modified by bpr0422 at 5:48 PM 6/6/2008
Old 06-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 08' cobalt SS turbo- opinions? (bpr0422)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The turbo setup isn't that new, i think... read it is the same one as in the Solstice GXP or the Opel/Vauxhall/Satrun Astra VXR/Red-line

i'll wait till they import the Astra Red-line, cause the astra just looks a lil better, and the interior looks better - sorta...

tho, i would still take a Mazdaspeed3 over them all, just cause the interior is way better.

if gm took some time to redesign the interior and make it less rental-car boring, then i'll take a look.

Modified by bpr0422 at 5:48 PM 6/6/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

word with the cobalt is, you'll be too busy enjoying the drive to worry about the interior, lol.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Default Re: 08' cobalt SS turbo- opinions? (chimmike)

you forget, that while traveling on our beautifully designed interstates with limits, potholes, cracks, bumps and frequent traffic jams, there isn't much driving done.

=D
Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if gm took some time to redesign the interior and make it less rental-car boring, then i'll take a look.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not only that, most of it is plastic. Its ridiculous how cheaply made the car feels. I know because I drive them on a daily basis.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 08' cobalt SS turbo- opinions? (94delslo)

I think it is a great platform just like the srt4 was, the only draw back i see now is the direct injection. With basic bolt ons its fine but once you max out the injectors you really have no aftermarket. I would get it over a new si any day.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have put quite a few miles on a base model Cobalt and overall I like it, and I am impressed with very few modern domestics. It is definately a nice jump over how a cavalier use to feel IMO. Even if I didnt like it I would never drive a neon so it fits my bill just perfectly.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:28 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Modified by bpr0422 at 5:48 PM 6/6/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

the seats are the bomb though...talk about *** huggin!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:15 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: 08' cobalt SS turbo- opinions? (GT35R_EF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GT35R_EF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hate cobalts personally. And I hate VW's even more. So the combination of a cobalt with a KO4 is probably the worst thing i've ever heard. "just wasnt sure where exactly to post it." In the off topic forum probably. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you could always get the KO4 killer from atp turbo which is a transverse gt28rs bolt in... it would rock out then!

Modified by oneludesol at 1:21 PM 6/9/2008
Old 06-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 08' cobalt SS turbo- opinions? (matz03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by matz03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it is a great platform just like the srt4 was, the only draw back i see now is the direct injection. With basic bolt ons its fine but once you max out the injectors you really have no aftermarket. I would get it over a new si any day.</TD></TR></TABLE>
the aftermarket is huge with these cars

tuning software already exists... hp tuners
its the ****, since GM now uses the same ecu on all of their cars... so tuning isnt an issue, you can compenstate for anything from simple bolt ons to injectors and such... with the software the stock ecu basically becomes a stand alone

companies already make motor parts and suspension parts... what more do you need?
Old 06-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 08' cobalt SS turbo- opinions? (wantboost)

from what I understand, the cobalt doesn't need major suspension adjustment from factory. maybe some chassis braces to reduce body roll, but it's said to handle very well.

as for direct injection, give it time. VW's are still waiting for a direct injection resolution, but it'll come.

Quick Reply: 08' cobalt SS turbo- opinions?