** The E85 Thread **

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going E85 this summer and since my engine isn't totally F'd, i'm going to push the stock block until it decides enough is enough. I think 400-415whp is attainable with E85. My only concern is that this may only be a fad fuel. I hope that the US populus accepts it and decides to increase production rather than just stopping it...any thoughts on that??
Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Schister66)

X2<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> My only concern is that this may only be a fad fuel. I hope that the US populus accepts it and decides to increase production rather than just stopping it...any thoughts on that??</TD></TR></TABLE>

I checked online and found that there are no e85 stations in mass, nh, or me. There is a listing of a future station in chelsea ma. I called the station a few minutes ago and asked when they would be up and running and she said they are waiting on the go ahead from the government.

What are people paying per gallon for e85 as of now?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> My only concern is that this may only be a fad fuel. I hope that the US populus accepts it and decides to increase production rather than just stopping it...any thoughts on that??</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have been doing a financial analysis on Pacific Ethanol, a large player in the ethanol field, for my finance class and they have been struggling with the uncertain economic situation and skyrocketing commodity prices, namely corn. It is costing more to produce the ethanol than they are selling it for.

I think it could be a part of the solution toward renewable energy but until the technology gets better (ie cellulosic ethanol) and it becomes economically more feasible and more environmentally friendly, it will most likely be a fad fuel.

I'm paying 2.39 a gallon for E85 here. The only pump in the area is 5 minutes from my house.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Man U FTW

Well i hope it becomes more than just a fad fuel. We've had E85 here in ND for the past 4-5 years IIRC, but i never gave it much thought until lately. Whether or not its a fad fuel, i'm still planning to give it as much support as i can.

Also, last i checked it was $2.55/gal here
Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98lude-t)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i hope it becomes more than just a fad fuel.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It will be, Ethanol is not the answer to our problems, its just the gateway to better things.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98lude-t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what is the octane of e100</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is no E100 only E98 and I believe it is around 108-112 octane from what I remember. It is E98 because they add 2% caustic additives to keep hill billy's from drinking the ****.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

moonshine!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MassScene)

well they are oushing to make ethanol from sorghum and switchgrass as they both produce a little more per acre than corn and the byproduct is a mash that they can use as fuel for the process so there is good to come of this. and that the corn ethanol is taking electric and gas power to convert the eth. i read all the time in our company newsleter that there is a ton of new things being brought up about the eth process. they let it out 2 times a moth so i read it to try and stay informed.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live in iowa...only a hour or two from a couple of ethanol plants and it still goes for $2.80 a gallon!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (airwalk07143)

Would a walbro 255 and 550cc injectors be enough for about 275-300whp on a stock GSR?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Dartanian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dartanian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have been doing a financial analysis on Pacific Ethanol, a large player in the ethanol field, for my finance class and they have been struggling with the uncertain economic situation and skyrocketing commodity prices, namely corn. It is costing more to produce the ethanol than they are selling it for.

I think it could be a part of the solution toward renewable energy but until the technology gets better (ie cellulosic ethanol) and it becomes economically more feasible and more environmentally friendly, it will most likely be a fad fuel.

I'm paying 2.39 a gallon for E85 here. The only pump in the area is 5 minutes from my house. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The skyrocketing price only confirms that the demand for the crop is growing (although commodities are very volitile). The amount of ethanol plants is actually growing quite rapidly. The problem is that farmer's producing the raw material arn't keeping up. A large portion of farmers have sold their land for commercial/residential use (such is the case here in northern colorado), and their arn't very many land owners out there at this point that have started growing corn specifically for ethanol production. If the prices keep rising though, I'd expect farmers to jump on the bandwagon.

I actually did a lot of reasearch for my capstone class on this.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostwerks.com)

Good info ^^
Old 04-09-2008, 02:43 AM

Default Re: (Dartanian)

ethanol content gauge

Guy was selling them for $150 i think, you need to provide your own gm fuel composition sensor though for it to work.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/s...88793
http://forums.evolutionm.net/s...05253

There is also a public e85 station now in Phoenix I just learned about
Old 04-09-2008, 08:21 AM

Default Re: (Vince64)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vince64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ethanol content gauge

Guy was selling them for $150 i think, you need to provide your own gm fuel composition sensor though for it to work.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/s...88793
http://forums.evolutionm.net/s...05253

There is also a public e85 station now in Phoenix I just learned about </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's perfect, This was one of my only concerns about going to E85. Not knowing what kind of mix you are going to get..
Old 04-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MindEracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MindEracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's perfect, This was one of my only concerns about going to E85. Not knowing what kind of mix you are going to get..</TD></TR></TABLE>

got me worried too, we should get together a group buy on this site for the LCD, I will pay $150 or that but not $250
Old 04-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

well shiit i just went and started the process of tuning on e85. ive read start with the base and add 30% then under boost you want your afs to be the same as "gas" 11.5s which is lambda .78 or somthing like that.

my concern is that it idles at 9.1 which is stoich and as soon as i start to build boost it falls on its face and bogs. now we tried for 3 hours and got it to lean out. but couldnt get it to stick around 7.6 and lean it would go to 10 or 11 afrs
we built a template for e85 on the dynojet.
any ideas. kinda in the dark i feel. maybe some help from servion or others that tune this. im the first to try it i think in our town and the first for the tuner and friend.
thanks.
i was supposed to race today also damnit
Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well to no avail yet i need some help i think.

i talked to a guy and he justsaid to put my map on and set the fuel for 30% straight off the get go. and in the boost columns to 50% and then go from there. but tht doesnt work. so what do ya think. setup is
ls
1000s
255 pump
-8 braided line
stock fpr for now
272 cams
custom intake
s100b
evo8 turbo
3" xhaust
thats about all thatmatters i belive. were going to try it again soon on the gasoline a/f reading. andthen just do the math.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:52 AM

We use anywhere from 2-5% Natural Gasoline as our denaturant additive, depending on the market.

As a general rule as far as energy consumption versus energy output of the ethanol process, its safe to say most reports are 2-3 years behind the technology curve new plants are being built with. I can't provide alot of exact numbers, but the plant where i work recently underwent performance testing and we used approximately 60% less natural gas than an average ethanol plant and we're down to 2.2 gallons of water for 1 gallon of ethanol, while producing substantially more ethanol per bushel of corn. We also proved the 40 million gallon nameplate capacity at 52,600,000 gallons per year.

I can talk more in PM's if anyone is interested.. knowledge is power.

BTW, i just paid $2.70/gal for e85 and gasoline was $3.35. The price of ethanol closely follows the petroleum market because of trucking costs, but if you can, buy from MFA Oil (i'm in no way affiliated with them) as they make it a point to price their e85 atleast 50 cents cheaper a gallon than gasoline, unlike some shady gas stations.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicDXdude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We use anywhere from 2-5% Natural Gasoline as our denaturant additive, depending on the market.

As a general rule as far as energy consumption versus energy output of the ethanol process, its safe to say most reports are 2-3 years behind the technology curve new plants are being built with. I can't provide alot of exact numbers, but the plant where i work recently underwent performance testing and we used approximately 60% less natural gas than an average ethanol plant and we're down to 2.2 gallons of water for 1 gallon of ethanol, while producing substantially more ethanol per bushel of corn. We also proved the 40 million gallon nameplate capacity at 52,600,000 gallons per year.

I can talk more in PM's if anyone is interested.. knowledge is power.

BTW, i just paid $2.70/gal for e85 and gasoline was $3.35. The price of ethanol closely follows the petroleum market because of trucking costs, but if you can, buy from MFA Oil (i'm in no way affiliated with them) as they make it a point to price their e85 atleast 50 cents cheaper a gallon than gasoline, unlike some shady gas stations.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea my station is screwing me, now $3.44 for E85 and $3.69 for regular unleaded
Old 04-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

3.05 here for e85 and 3.69 for reg
Old 04-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

$2.39 when I checked a couple days ago Dunno what reg. is since I've been driving my diesel truck around since the honda went down. Wanna talk about tears, $4.00 per gallon on diesel
Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohczcturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohczcturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$2.39 when I checked a couple days ago Dunno what reg. is since I've been driving my diesel truck around since the honda went down. Wanna talk about tears, $4.00 per gallon on diesel </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just filled up in Arvada and it was $2.35/gal, gotta love 105 octane for ~$20 a tank
Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (perlmeister8)

well my first experience wasnt as good as i was hoping for.

about the same power on low boost and a hole in the block on high boost.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98lude-t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well my first experience wasnt as good as i was hoping for.
about the same power on low boost and a hole in the block on high boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sucks, sounds like you need a better tuner...
Old 05-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98lude-t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well my first experience wasnt as good as i was hoping for.

about the same power on low boost and a hole in the block on high boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

whoa, you were tuning it correct? Damn were you doing a pull?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well ill tell ya what went on.

fresh motor. 10 minutes on it then heat cycled 4 times. started out 15 pulls from 1500 to 4500ish at 1/3 throttle after getting the a/fs right to break rings in. so thats out of the way no problem. no smoke 205 across the board "stock bore ls" stock pistons, rods.
put the boost to it and found there was a probelm with fuel pressure fixed that and then tuned idle tuned it to get the fuel right under boost. i went to 17* of timing max to start and 10.5-11. af on gas map. to rich and it falls on its face. to lean well ya know what that does. got it stuck to about .76 lambda or 11.2-11.5 for the safe side then we were going from there. started tunring up the boost to what i run normal dd. sounded great. 15lbs then we decided to turn her up to 20 since i was running 20 on pump i figured i would be safe. turned it up spunded good at 1/2 throttle and fuel was good. so i did a "full" pull to the floor and about 5kish i heard a knock knock so i let off and it let me know who was home. by way of a rod and half of the piston on the floor. #3 is the winner. i can see all the way through the block. it came alive it made 297whp right before she let it out. so i dont know.

i did on another note when i put the rods in i noticed what looked like a small crack on the rod?? but i thought it might just be a casting flaw or somthing like that but not like i could see through it. oddly enough it was #3 so maybe.

Quick Reply: ** The E85 Thread **