Notices

$hit on my radiator cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $hit on my radiator cap

ok, im having cooling problems, and now everytime i add coolant i check my radiator cap there is some sort of deposit that sticks on it which looks like ****,replaced the cap and still the same thing. anyone know where this pooh is coming from?

info: turbo ls, the overflow tank fills up all the time when i boost but not when i drive normal,i suspect a possible blown head gasket.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Trial User

Default Re: $hit on my radiator cap (14bcoupe)

sounds like oil is getting mixed in with the coolant, that can make this "pooh" you speak of. i vote blown head gasket.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: $hit on my radiator cap (SSBPGSR)

hmmm so think its unsafe to drive at this point
Old 05-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Trial User

i would say so, you dont know where this "pooh" is building up in your motor. i wouldnt drive it, but if you HAVE to go somewhere, take lots of coolant with you and watch your temp guage VERY closely. i personally wouldnt drive it
Old 05-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much does the coolant fill up in the resevoir? And does the radiator suck it back in after the motor cools?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: $hit on my radiator cap (tub_sephiroth)

yeah i think i wont drive it.

tub_sephiroth
well it fills up to the point where it starts spilling if i keep driving the car, but once i stop and let the car cool down for a while it ll eventually go back into the radiator on its own.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: $hit on my radiator cap (SSBPGSR)

Isnt this in the FAQ?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:37 AM

Default Re: $hit on my radiator cap (Muckman)

no
Old 05-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well it should be
Old 05-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $hit on my radiator cap (ITR981002)

depends on the color of the poo. if it is dark poo like oil then ya blown HG.

if it is yellow brown poo, then it coul be you just need your radiator and cooling system flushed! He he

Does the poo actually make your car run hot? Or the poo is just bugging you?

Old 05-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try flushing i had the same problem
Old 05-11-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: (no2unenolife)

its not too dark its more a light brown.
yeah i think i will try flushing it see if the pooh is still there, and possibly change the headgasket this weekend.

here man just took a pic of it tell me what you think
Old 05-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (14bcoupe)

i remember we played a joke on this kid a looong time ago who was having a party at his parents house (parents didn't know-kid was annoying)

when everybody was getting ready to leave we all took a dump in all the water tank of his toilets. it takes like 20 flushes before the water comes out clear, har har! thought i'd share. this post remended me of that. i'm old just ignore me.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Laserjock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Laserjock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when everybody was getting ready to leave we all took a dump in all the water tank of his toilets. it takes like 20 flushes before the water comes out clear, har har! thought i'd share. this post remended me of that. i'm old just ignore me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

We like to call that one an "Upper Decker" LOL

Modified by MikeD718 at 10:00 AM 5/12/2005
Old 05-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 14bcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the overflow tank fills up all the time when i boost but not when i drive normal,i suspect a possible blown head gasket. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It is most definatly your headgasket. My car did the same thing when I blew mine. I drove mine for a month like that. The overflow would fill up so mutch that it would squirt out the top. I just kept filling it up ofter the motor cooled.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $hit on my radiator cap (TurboTagTeam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboTagTeam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is most definatly your headgasket. My car did the same thing when I blew mine. I drove mine for a month like that. The overflow would fill up so mutch that it would squirt out the top. I just kept filling it up ofter the motor cooled.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup. My turbo LS had the same problem... I would see a lot of coolant in my overflow tank when I boosted at high rpms, and then I'd find pressurized air in my radiator (even after it has cooled overnight). I pulled the head and found a large black stain between the combustion chamber and coolant passage on the #1 cylinder, which means that it was blown right there. I replaced the gasket with a Cometic HP gasket and installed ARP head studs... problem solved; no more overflowing radiator, losing coolant, or pressurized air in the system.

I had found crap on my radiator cap too... it wasn't oil. Due to the location of the oil passages (they are pretty lonely), it's unlikely that you'll have coolant/oil mix from a blown headgasket on a modern Honda... maybe you'd get a little coolant to get passed the piston rings and into the crankcase, but I wouldn't expect any more than that. I had a little steam when I pulled the dipstick out when the engine was hot, but nothing visible in the oil itself.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: $hit on my radiator cap (TurboTagTeam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboTagTeam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is most definatly your headgasket. My car did the same thing when I blew mine. I drove mine for a month like that. The overflow would fill up so mutch that it would squirt out the top. I just kept filling it up ofter the motor cooled.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $hit on my radiator cap (xcivicdx)

did u pull the valve cover? Im guessing you'll see a "milk shake" on the under side of the valve cover.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blown headgasket
Old 05-12-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: $hit on my radiator cap (PURPLETERROR)

yeah thankz guys i have def come to the conlclusion that its a head gasket and i will def replaced it. just order it today from the dealer, but im still wondering what is all that pooh,def doesnt smell like oil at all. i can clean it all out the radiator cap then drive normal for 30 minutes then come and check the radiator cap and again lots of pooh. i will do a flush tomorow morning see if it goes away.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:53 PM

well just went and did a full flush this morning, including flushing out cylinder walls, so it turn out to be lead from the aluminium and from block/head which was building up in my radiator cap. and now i can boost and all and beat on the car real hard now and it doesnt overheat,and the reservior went as high as half way but never even close to overflowing. maybe cause its kinda chilly day?
Old 05-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 14bcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well just went and did a full flush this morning, including flushing out cylinder walls, so it turn out to be lead from the aluminium and from block/head which was building up in my radiator cap. and now i can boost and all and beat on the car real hard now and it doesnt overheat,and the reservior went as high as half way but never even close to overflowing. maybe cause its kinda chilly day?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lead from aluminum? Can you try to get gold or titanium from that. You'll make millions and throw off the world economy

I think you were trying to say corrosion buidup...try Redline Water Wetter. It should help slow down corrosion and also keep your temps down.

BTW, what do I get for bein' right on.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us up to date with this. It'll be interesting how it turns out.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: $hit on my radiator cap (tub_sephiroth)

well turns out the car still doesnt overheat now even if i boost hard,but overflow still fills up kinda high still kinda chilly out but i think the main problem is my downpipe which is so close to the radiator everyone is telling me thats my problem, and acutally kinda burned some of my fan off. heres a pic tell me what you guys think
Old 05-14-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: $hit on my radiator cap (Laserjock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Laserjock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Lead from aluminum? Can you try to get gold or titanium from that. You'll make millions and throw off the world economy

I think you were trying to say corrosion buidup...try Redline Water Wetter. It should help slow down corrosion and also keep your temps down.

BTW, what do I get for bein' right on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i can send you 10cents through paypal
or a nice thank you for your help man

Quick Reply: $hit on my radiator cap