Notices

"Header" wrap for manifolds and downpipes... where can you get it cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Header" wrap for manifolds and downpipes... where can you get it cheap?

Ok I searched the word "wrap" but didnt find anything worthy of answering this.

Where do you get wrap for cheap? I wanna wrap my downpipe (my manifold is too pretty to wrap).
Old 02-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Header" wrap for manifolds and downpipes... where can you get it cheap? (phiberoptik)

http://www.summitracing.com, i even think mcmaster has it but im not totally sure
Old 02-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Header" wrap for manifolds and downpipes... where can you get it cheap? (tgh99si)

We have a couple local dirt track shops that stock it in town around here. Works pretty well as long as you soak it in water before you actually wrap the manifold.

Here is a picture of my manifold that I just re-did last week w/ a black coated wrap from Cool-Tec or whoever makes it.

Old 02-25-2004, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "Header" wrap for manifolds and downpipes... where can you get it cheap? (integra_gsr98)

http://www.eastwoodcompany.com is a really cheap place i found, they also sell silicon spray to spray the wrap with after you wrap it to keep out dirt and ****. goto speacialty coatings link, then exhaust.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:22 PM

Default Re: "Header" wrap for manifolds and downpipes... where can you get it cheap? (hybridvteceg)

Jc Whitney might have it pretty cheap
Old 02-25-2004, 02:53 PM
On Fire!

Default Re: "Header" wrap for manifolds and downpipes... where can you get it cheap? (integra_gsr98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra_gsr98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We have a couple local dirt track shops that stock it in town around here. Works pretty well as long as you soak it in water before you actually wrap the manifold.

Here is a picture of my manifold that I just re-did last week w/ a black coated wrap from Cool-Tec or whoever makes it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you paint the wrap after you put it on the manifold??
Old 02-25-2004, 03:41 PM

Just wondering why you should soak it in water first. A buddy of mine put wrap on his manifold and it started burning/smoking. Is there some type of adhesive on it? Is this the reason why?
Old 02-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: "Header" wrap for manifolds and downpipes... where can you get it cheap? (phiberoptik)

I got my 2" x 50' roll from Summit Racing. They jacked up the price by $7 to $35 recently.

If you've got a short-runner manifold, use the 1" thick wrap. For exhaust pipes, use the 2" thick stuff. 50ft does probably 1.5 headers to 2 downpipes.

Hose clamps securing the ends.

I had to remove the wrap b/c the pipe surface was oxidizing, but I never considered using the spray to keep the moisture out. Maybe I'll try that next time.

Old 02-25-2004, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Header" wrap for manifolds and downpipes... where can you get it cheap? (IN VTEC)

Ceramic coating is a lot better and cheaper
Old 02-25-2004, 04:46 PM

Default Re: "Header" wrap for manifolds and downpipes... where can you get it cheap? (Garrett)

cheaper than 35$???
Old 02-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Header" wrap for manifolds and downpipes... where can you get it cheap? (hybridvteceg)

im paying 235 for my equal length manifold and turbine
Old 02-25-2004, 05:42 PM

http://www.jegs.com has it but im not sure what the price is
Old 02-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (imthedude)

So you guys feel it's ok to wrap a turbo manifold? I don't think an NA header would be nearly as bad because they don't run as hot, but it seems like some people think it's ok to wrap a manifold and some people dont...

I've never personally seen a manifold crack because of wrapping it, but I'm sure it would make the metal retain considerably more heat, probably leading to a sooner failure. I would personally love to wrap my manifold, but I'm worried about the added heat causing it to crack.

On another note, has anyone had say a before and after comparison between a manifold that's coated inside and out, and one that isn't? It seems like this would be the best thing to do, for a performance and longevity standpoint for the manifold, but unfortunately it's alot more $. I'm debating whether it's worth the $ to have my manifold coated, but I've never seen first hand how much it really helps to lower engine bay temps, and retain heat in the exhaust gases. Thanks.

-Mike

Old 02-25-2004, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SlowTeg)

the wrap will cause rust fast from what ive heard, the place where im getting my stuff coated is guaranteeing my temperatures to go down at least 35%, but it could decrease up to 50%, just to give you an idea.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tgh99si)

Hmm.. 35-50% is quite considerable, so I guess it's worth it.

Most of the stuff that I wrap doesn't rust so I'm not too worried about that. I think exhaust wrap is great. You can rest your hand on the downpipe while the car is running it works so well, but w/ excessively high temps in the turbo manifold I'm a little concerned. Thanks.

-Mike
Old 02-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it also depends how thick the pipe is, i mean my manifold sides are like .145" thick so im not worried at all
Old 02-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tgh99si)

Even for all the 8 gauge tubular manifolds out there, wouldn't wrapping the manifold be a problem after a while because of the extra heat? It seems like 304L, from what was posted a while ago in the "tech" posts about the materials, wouldn't do very well over a long period of time to high temps, and wrapping would just make things worse. Would any of the fabricators or mech. engineers like to chime in here? Thanks.

-Mike
Old 02-25-2004, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did not paint the wrap on my manifold. It had a black coating on it before I put it on. I soak it in water as it is easier to deal with, and once it gets wet it expands somewhat, meaning when it heats up and contracts on the header it tightens up a little bit.

Best thing to hold the wrap on with = universal cv boot clamps from Checker Auto. They look way less ghetto than hose clamps. I would also guess and say that I used roughly 50+ feet of the wrap to do the manifold? However doing the external wastegate runner, as well as wasting some. It came in a package of 100ft for 37 dollars and some change after tax.

We have wrapped turbo headers on cars around here for years and haven't really had an issue with them at all. The only one we have had crack was a DSM manifold made by archer, and those liked to fall apart on their own.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:26 PM

http://store.hamiltonmarine.co...ts=10

cheapest you can get.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Header" wrap for manifolds and downpipes... where can you get it cheap? (ndogg)

WOW... that is cheap... Ill probably be ordering that. Good link
(well except the 8.95 shipping charge for UPS ground)
Old 02-26-2004, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Header" wrap for manifolds and downpipes... where can you get it cheap? (ndogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ndogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://store.hamiltonmarine.co...ts=10

cheapest you can get.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heh, wondered if anyone else knew about them... It's more than enough for 3 turbo manifolds.

No coating even comes close to insulative properties of header wrap.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:38 AM

i was going to wrap all my stuff up from the charge piping to the downpipe. but know i'm gonna just get all my parts even my primered stb's thermal coated works great and looks even greater. i can now have the option to thermal coat my turbo exhaust housing aslo

Modified by Prelude91siT at 9:00 PM 2/26/2004