Notices

"Deburring" forged Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Deburring" forged Pistons

I'm picking up a set of Wiseco pistons soon. I was wondering what do you guys use to sand the pistons. On the "OLD ONE" website, I think it mention something like 120 grit and then Scotch Brite.

Do you sand the outer edge too, or just the top where the valve reliefs are?

Do the Wiseco come with wrist pins? If not, I would that the stock would suffice?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Deburring" forged Pistons (specie)

Larry will send wrist pins and rings...just make sure to ask him for them. Endyns don't need sanding (I don't think)...I think Larry does this for you
Old 12-16-2002, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Deburring" forged Pistons (MiraiZ)

If they are Endyn/wiseco they won't need sanding. If not , Larry uses a "Scotchbrit" wheel on a bench grinder, If you do it yourself, don't touch the outsides of the pistons, just the crowns and around the valve reliefs.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Deburring" forged Pistons (CRVRX)

Thanks.

No, I'm not ordering these from Larry. I figure I'll save the money on the labor. So just get a scotch brite wheel? No 120 grit sandpaper?

Do they come with wrist pins from Wiseco? I know rings are included.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:08 PM

Just my thoughts, but I think sanding the piston tops is pointless unless you are using some pistons with **** poor machining.

By sanding the shiny machined tops, you are making the tops rougher, not smoother. Shiny surface = smooth surface.

You are putting thousands of microscopic peaks and valleys in the pistons by sanding them.

If the pistons required sanding around the valve reliefs because of excess flash, then whatever company machined them needs to get with the program.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: "Deburring" forged Pistons (boomslang)

The "sanding" is done to remove sharp edges that become an invitation to detonation due to localized hot spots. I don't think anyone does it to increase turbulence.

I've seen some pistons with edges so sharp that literally looked like a razor blade.

Sonny
Old 12-17-2002, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "Deburring" forged Pistons (boomslang)

You are putting thousands of microscopic peaks and valleys in the pistons by sanding them..
They will fill with carbon deposits quickly and smooth over
Old 12-17-2002, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks.

No, I'm not ordering these from Larry. I figure I'll save the money on the labor. So just get a scotch brite wheel? No 120 grit sandpaper?

Endyns aren't that much more expensive than off the shelf wiseco's..buy from Larry and have him coat them int he process
Old 12-17-2002, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Deburring" forged Pistons (MiraiZ)

I've heard too many rumors about Larry. I, frankly, just don't trust him. I was really into the hype back then. I still think he has great ideas though.

Besides, I've found someone getting rid of a set for a great price.

Thanks.
Thanks.

Endyns aren't that much more expensive than off the shelf wiseco's..buy from Larry and have him coat them int he process
Old 12-17-2002, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless of what you've heard about Larry, the facts are that his pistons are top notch and they make power. I've yet to see someone unhappy with their Endyn/Wiseco pistons.

Sonny
Old 12-17-2002, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard too many rumors about Larry. I, frankly, just don't trust him. I was really into the hype back then. I still think he has great ideas though.

Besides, I've found someone getting rid of a set for a great price.

Thanks. Thanks.

I've talked to Larry on a couple of occasions....he's not really a bad guy. But none the less, despite his character, his pistons are good!
Old 12-17-2002, 10:34 AM

Default Re: "Deburring" forged Pistons (Sonny)

Not to start a contraversy(sp?), but I melted an endyne piston on 10 psi in an 8.5:1 compression sleeved motor with proper fuel, spark, and tuning, AND the endyne head gasket I bought from them only lasted 3 months. Its now in the shop for JE Pistons and the OEM head gasket I replaced the endyne with ran perfectly until the piston melted. The rollerwave piston idea is good and a lot of people have had great luck with his products, just not me. But there is always one, isn't there.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Deburring" forged Pistons (MayhemSi)

Not to start some thing, But ANY piston will melt if the thing runs lean , they all use pretty much the same materials. I have built alot of motors using all kinds of pistons, I use Endyn pitons. I also use to say 12 + to 1 compression is too high for 93 octane till I used Larrys pistons.I have ordered alot of stuff from Larry and he has always got them to me on time, he dropped the ball once and forgot to ship something, he then made it up to me and overnighted it to me.

I run 11 to 1 compression with 10 psi on top of them, I use Endyn pistons.They are really worth the extra couple of buck. They do come with rings , pins and locks.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Deburring" forged Pistons (CRVRX)

If CRVRX is John from LHT, I've seen a couple of your customers' cars and they look great. Your white CRX is so clean. Just for those that don't know, John's work is top notch.

I guess I'll find out if they come with pins and locks from Wiseco.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Deburring" forged Pistons (MayhemSi)

Not to start a contraversy(sp?), but I melted an endyne piston on 10 psi in an 8.5:1 compression sleeved motor with proper fuel, spark, and tuning, AND the endyne head gasket I bought from them only lasted 3 months. Its now in the shop for JE Pistons and the OEM head gasket I replaced the endyne with ran perfectly until the piston melted. The rollerwave piston idea is good and a lot of people have had great luck with his products, just not me. But there is always one, isn't there.
I don't believe it. I've run stock B16s with 10:1 at 10psi for a long *** time with proper fuel and tuning and NEVER had a problem. No way it was properly tuned.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Deburring" forged Pistons (Sonny)

Regardless of what you've heard about Larry, the facts are that his pistons are top notch and they make power. I've yet to see someone unhappy with their Endyn/Wiseco pistons.

Sonny
Very true, I haven't personally heard of anyone complaining about the pistons either. But from what I understand, Larry just gets the pistons straight from Wiseco and do the "sanding" to them. I figure I can attempt this since I've found a new set for $275.

Aren't you the one that did the "block posting"? If so, could you tell me how much all the materials cost you? I'm very interested in trying this.

Lastly, I for one, think that Larry is a genius (both in marketing and in knowledge).
Old 12-21-2002, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pistons came with rings, wrist pins, and locks.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:16 PM

I also use Endyn's 12.5:1 and 5psi; soon to be 10psi. Very nice indeed I must say. I run on pump gas by the way. 93 octane....
Old 12-21-2002, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Deburring" forged Pistons (tzsir)

Specie,
Thanks for the compliment. If you need stuff in the future , let me know, I will try to save you some $$$$$$.