Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Why are there so many threads on can't advance enough

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are there so many threads on can't advance enough

I had this issue before. But wondering, why are there so many issues with not being able to advance the dizzy enough. I see there are 2 resolutions. One is people have the cam timing off. The other (my issue) the cams are right so slotting the dizzy seems to be the only way. My question is with the second. What could cause this? AFAIK I have a stock b16a. Stock cams and cam gears. When I bought it, it did have adjustable gears and wondered if that was compensating for a shaved head or something. If so, should I get new adjustable and 0 it out and see if the timing is within the stock dizzy specs or should I just slot my new dizzy

Odie
Fiat x19. B16
Old 12-24-2021, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 799 Likes on 739 Posts
Default Re: Why are there so many threads on can't advance enough

In my experience, aftermarket Honda distributors have the pick-ups mounted in the wrong place and typically are still a few degrees short of 16' advance with the housing advanced all of the way in the slot. This means that even if you have your mechanical (timing belt) timing absolutely correct, you still cannot get the distributor set at 16' advance. In fact, 12-13 degrees advance is really common. If you are using a stock ECU, the fix would only be to slot the distributor housing more so that the housing can be advanced further. If you have adjustable engine management, you can simply advance the distributor housing all the way, check the timing advance value at the crank pulley/cover, and IF this value is LESS than 16', simply ADD the difference to your ignition timing tables in your tune to electronically cure your problem.