Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

tunning with chrome to pass state ref

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tunning with chrome to pass state ref

so long story short my ecu has been chipped and my ref dosnt know. i can pass the visual. so far i am running open loop so i failed by a long run. but i live in a basic area so there are no rollers its just a basic 0 to 2500 idle test. if i tune it in open loop with a decent afr gadge to a afr that will get me to pass. then in wire in the o2 and run it in closed loop will i pass for sure. ihave a brand new 50 state cat and i also need to install a iat sensor as i have a resistor in the plug as of now. i am a noob i know this if someone can direct me to some information that will answer my question i would like that too i just cant find it on my own as in tunning for emissions. im just currently studing to learn how to tune our pgmfi
Old 04-18-2017, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tunning with chrome to pass state ref

Originally Posted by crookson speed
so long story short my ecu has been chipped and my ref dosnt know. i can pass the visual. so far i am running open loop so i failed by a long run. but i live in a basic area so there are no rollers its just a basic 0 to 2500 idle test. if i tune it in open loop with a decent afr gadge to a afr that will get me to pass. then in wire in the o2 and run it in closed loop will i pass for sure. ihave a brand new 50 state cat and i also need to install a iat sensor as i have a resistor in the plug as of now. i am a noob i know this if someone can direct me to some information that will answer my question i would like that too i just cant find it on my own as in tunning for emissions. im just currently studing to learn how to tune our pgmfi
also sorry motor is a b16a with a chipped ecu in a 91 si with obd1 conversion repined the ecu clips and everything.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

Fix your IAT before you do anything else. It's one of the four critical inputs for running the engine properly.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
Fix your IAT before you do anything else. It's one of the four critical inputs for running the engine properly.
ok lets say i install my iat and a o2 sensor can i pass or should i take the extra messure and dollars to get n afr gadge and tune my map. because i only want to go there twice.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i fixed the iat and im going to buy a chip burner so i can enable my o2. i also am going to get a aem wide band unless someone can convince me otherwise. what air fuel ratio will get me to pass 14.7? and also if i want to adjust fuel tables on chrome manually how do i know how far to bring the numbers down im having a hard time finding information on that. thank for the help.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

If your engine is stock, you've wired everything correctly to the correct ecu, and you have a decent catalyst, you should be able to pass (without tuning). If your wiring is all jacked and you have a mish-mash of parts, you're going to have a tough time calibrating that out (by which I mean not likely)
Old 04-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
If your engine is stock, you've wired everything correctly to the correct ecu, and you have a decent catalyst, you should be able to pass (without tuning). If your wiring is all jacked and you have a mish-mash of parts, you're going to have a tough time calibrating that out (by which I mean not likely)
what if everything is okay but my evap solenoid valve not working
Old 04-19-2017, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i fixed the iat and im going to buy a chip burner so i can enable my o2. i also am going to get a aem wide band unless someone can convince me otherwise. what air fuel ratio will get me to pass 14.7? and also if i want to adjust fuel tables on chrome manually how do i know how far to bring the numbers down im having a hard time finding information on that. thank for the help.
If you're going to use the wideband as an O2 and you're going to run off of a chipped ECU, make sure the wideband can support simulated narrowband output. PLX is just one of the many companies that make one.

what if everything is okay but my evap solenoid valve not working
You might want to check it then.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 80%downtime
If you're going to use the wideband as an O2 and you're going to run off of a chipped ECU, make sure the wideband can support simulated narrowband output. PLX is just one of the many companies that make one.

You might want to check it then. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmfiI1ribdM
thanks for the info just to clarify can i pass without a purge solenoid and can i tune my car in close loop to schive a desired 0 to 2500 afr in closed loop then run that map in open loop with a o2 sensor. im also at sea level btw.

Last edited by crookson speed; 04-21-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info just to clarify can i pass without a purge solenoid and can i tune my car in close loop to schive a desired 0 to 2500 afr in closed loop then run that map in open loop with a o2 sensor. im also at sea level btw.
That's a question better asked to a Smog Tech. I've never tuned any of my cars to "pass smog", but here, have a reference.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks alot dude for the help
Old 04-22-2017, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=80%downtime;51260920]If you're going to use the wideband as an O2 and you're going to run off of a chipped ECU, make sure the wideband can support simulated narrowband output. PLX is just one of the many companies that make one.

im guessing i should go with a wideband that supports narrow band because its more accurate in those volts? what makes it diffrent from a wide band if the wide band reads a higher voltage range.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im guessing i should go with a wideband that supports narrow band because its more accurate in those volts? what makes it diffrent from a wide band if the wide band reads a higher voltage range.
No. It's because your ECU isn't calibrated to the voltage output of a wideband. It's calibrated to the voltage outputs you'd normally see from a narrowband output. A narrowband only detects a small range of AFR; a wideband can detect a much wider range, hence their names. They both put out voltages from 0-5v. It's just that the voltage output from a narrowband to reflect an AFR isn't going to be the same as a wideband reflecting the same AFR.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude your a saint it is crystal clear to me now