Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Troubleshooting: 1992 Accord SE ECM "smoke" & failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting: 1992 Accord SE ECM "smoke" & failure

Hi,
This information is copied from a post I put into early model Accords. I believe it is more suitable for this part of the forum. Please excuse my inexperience at posting to this site. Pics don’t come through. Oops.

I haven’t been on this site for a very long time & am having a severe amount of trouble posting this with my IPhone. I hope all this comes across. This is a failed ECM from a 1992 Accord SE. I have found and can properly replace the burnt transistor to this board, however I am not likely to believe the failure was caused by the transistor itself. This circuit controls the Air Bypass Solenoid for the intake valve. That solenoid was in the same condition. Not an issue I have ever seen occurring. I need to reach someone familiar with servicing & repairing theses. It is all part of an install with an F22A6 cam and built motor. No risk of any damage coming to the engine, but certainly don’t want to turn the key and find out that my air bypass valve doesn’t open. Anyone out there repairing these? I need some advice.

Cooked transistor, can properly replace. Have new component on the way. Failure too unusual. Need some advice about what might have happened.

Last edited by t4wrench; 11-18-2018 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Mistakes
Old 11-18-2018, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default re: Troubleshooting: 1992 Accord SE ECM "smoke" & failure

A built engine will require the ability to customize the ignition and fuel tables to optimize the sum of it's parts... fixing the STOCK ECU seems like a waste of time. You need a different ECU.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seriously? Let me make myself more clear. I am using the cam that this ECM is designed for. I have raised the compression to 10.5:1 which will not require much more than running high octane all the time. This is a F22A6 cam & matched ECM. This cam has more lift as well as approximately 8 deg more duration. These Cams came in the early 90s Accord SE models and also had a dual runner intake with air bypass valve. The valve springs are also stiffer. This is actually a fairly cheap way to get more power out of an F22 block. These were 140 hp as opposed to the 125 the standard cams produced. You can not just go out and find another one of these ECMs easily. As far as retuning the fuel & ignition map, I am eventually planning to use a Neptune component kit with software. Due to the added circuit of the Air bypass valve control this ECM must be functional before it is converted. This engine will certainly run well without modifying the programming first. I have to be sure the ECM is completely functional before the Neptune hardware goes in. See what I’m saying.
I have already found an online service to test this ECM. $20 + shipping. If it checks out I’m set. If not I will identify the differences the Air bypass circuit includes and modify one of my other ECMs. Really just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this type of problem & if they weee able to fix it. Looking for possible causes. Who knows maybe someone tried powering up the solenoid by jumping it to power. Could be.

Last edited by t4wrench; 11-19-2018 at 11:52 AM. Reason: More info
Old 11-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

I wasn't aware that a Demon board would work in an Accord or Prelude ECU, and since these function differently than a Civic or Integra ECU, I suggested you move past fixing what you have and getting what you need. There is no way to definitively know what caused the ECU damage that you have now until you repair the ECU and turn the key on... and if the circuit burns again letting out the magic smoke for a second time, you will have to do some trouble shooting. It is common for people to inadvertently plug incorrect plugs into various locations since many of the two-wire round grey connectors are similar and are used in near proximity to each other, so there is a distinct possibility that this is what caused the initial damage and when plugged in properly it will cause no issues to the ECU.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Troubleshooting: 1992 Accord SE ECM "smoke" & failure

Hmmm. You are probably right. The hard engine parts & ECU came from a 91 Accord SE model sitting in an import salvage yard a long way away from me. I’m very inclined to believe, after speaking with a few others that the cause was created by someone applying power externally to the solenoid. The solenoid itself looked like it had actually been on fire. That much current coming from the ECU is completely unlikely. Also, even though I haven’t verified it. I believe the solenoid is PWM controlled on the ground side by the ECM. Don’t know for sure as I am just now getting into this. I do appreciate your input. Thanks. I know not too many people are involved in the SOHC 2.2 Accords for performance. I’m a 30yr plus’s ASE Master who absolutely loves the Hondas. Most of us pro wrenches feel the same way about them. About the only powertrain design that you simply do the maintenance on, & drive. They just keep moving. I have had 3 gen 4 Accords & love them. 280K on this 93 Aniversary edition I’m now playing with. Finally blew a head gasket. With the fully functional, modified, programmed ECU, the rest of the mechanical mods who knows what this thing could produce. I’m not going to pretend or boast a possible power output. I will be honest and actually report what I can make it produce. I do know that I am starting with an absolute minimum of 140 HP. I have also found that Webcam makes a nice regrind with some crazy lift #s. Only a bit more than $350. The trans may come apart as it’s an automatic. Have been looking at some Prelude automatics which are equipped with LSD. Mine is a one wheel squeal.🙂 Eveyone wants to know why I don’t just convert to a manual. That would be great, but my feet & legs don’t work. Only hand controls for me. No foot for the clutch. My son does have a 91 manual Accord. He’s a welder and we are looking into the dual stage turbo set ups. He & I are about to do some crazy sxxx! Will be back to report our success. 👍