Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

OBD II Emissions Idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:12 AM
TRIAL USER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD II Emissions Idea

I've got a 1996 Hatch with a Type R motor converted to OBD I tuned with CROME. Everything is basically stock and from what I've read on here, the only way to pass emissions is to put my stock ECU back in.

I got to thinking, the only thing they are looking for is data on the OBD II port that says that the car doesn't have any CELs. Well I did some searching for an OBD II simulator of sorts and I came across two things:

This unit from OBD2Cables.com

and this unit by some guy on pgmfi.org

It looks like you can plug into both of them with a USB cable, but the one on PGMFI actually has a screenshot of the software:

Has anyone tried anything like this?

The one on PGMFI is cheaper, the guy is doing a group buy for only $129 versus the OBD2Cables one for $448.

I'm thinking about buying it just to try it, but I want to know if you guys think it will work.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD II Emissions Idea

if it can get the engine rpm and mph in real time, it should work. the only way I could think it could do that is to connect to an ecu, the first one has dials so if they look at your rpms from the data port they won't be fooled but if it gets the numbers from the ecu or something I think it would work just fine.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:38 AM
TRIAL USER

Why would it need the RPM real time?

The emissions tests I've done in the past were all done while the engine was either idling or stopped. If you know what speed the engine is going to be at (say ~750 for Hondas when Idling or 0 when killed) then you should in theory have no problem.

The car is naturally not moving when the cable is attached to it (I personally have never had to do a test which involved a dyno) so in theory you can just set the simulator to 0.

As far as VIN number is concerned, somehow people get away with just swapping vehicles. Everybody has a 96 Civic in the back that they plug in to pass OBD 2 on converted vehicles. My logic tells me that there isn't a whole lot of VIN validation going on if this has worked for so many years. So in theory, uncheck VIN Support and we're probably golden...
Old 10-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Honda_Kid12
I've got a 1996 Hatch with a Type R motor converted to OBD I tuned with CROME. Everything is basically stock and from what I've read on here, the only way to pass emissions is to put my stock ECU back in.

I got to thinking, the only thing they are looking for is data on the OBD II port that says that the car doesn't have any CELs. Well I did some searching for an OBD II simulator of sorts and I came across two things:

It looks like you can plug into both of them with a USB cable, but the one on PGMFI actually has a screenshot of the software:

The one on PGMFI is cheaper, the guy is doing a group buy for only $129 versus the OBD2Cables one for $448.

I'm thinking about buying it just to try it, but I want to know if you guys think it will work.
i try the obd2 simulator with the software pretty cool i got it from ckj134@aol.com
Old 10-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like where your head is at.

I have had an idea like this for a while now, I think the whole fact that you cant run an obd1 engine in an obd2 car and pass emissions due to not having that connector.

If you could simulate that "which sounds like you can now" That looks fantastic!

Honestly what would make that device really shine is if it had the ability to allow passthough of actual data

1 - ECT
2 - RPM
3 - Primary O2
4 - VSS
5 - Ignition Timing "maybe"

the simulated items would be

1 - Relationship between both o2 sensors (mainly secondary o2 simulation)
2 - EGR Efficiency
3 - Ltft -stft values
4 - I cant think of other things off the top of my head that relate to emissions items they poke around for! evil *****..

Anyway I'm subscribing this is good stuff.

Why did I just subscribe to a thread thats two years old.... omg I fail....

Last edited by likwidchz; 10-14-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: I fail horribly.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was actually capable of that... but I believe they've been taken off the market.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hahaha I wonder why
Old 10-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HRTuning
It was actually capable of that... but I believe they've been taken off the market.
I don't know if this is the same one but if you go to obd2cables.com they still have some simulators.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The other unit pictured above is what I was referring to.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any updates
Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have one of these for sale. Works, but you should..only use it for development purposes etc
Old 06-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Trial User

Simulator still for sale?
Old 10-25-2016, 04:10 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Honda_Kid12

where I can purchase the USB cable emissiones thanks